Hey guys, welcome to our new board software. You'll need to re-register to post.

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 5: 2/3/18: Shadow of the Colossus Edition

User avatar
Phaseknox
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:20 am

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 5: 2/3/18: Shadow of the Colossus Edition

Post by Phaseknox » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:39 pm

Played: Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

Purchased: Elex, Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition, The Surge

I started playing Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth because I was in the mood for a JRPG, and argyle got me curious talking about it. I haven't played too much, but enough to get an idea of what it is.

It's a turn-based JRPG with a cyber theme, and of course Digimon. And based on what I played of it so far, it's the Digimon aspect that hurts it. Instead of seeming like a game built around Digimon, it seems like a game that they put Digimon in.

I feel that the game would have worked better without having Digimon, and everything that goes along with that since collecting tons of different monsters (which are the only things used in combat), evolving them via some farm and lots of other tedious micromanaging crap that pulls me out of the core game does not appeal to me.

I would like the game a lot more if it was a more traditional RPG with party members instead of collecting monsters and using them for combat, but at the very least I would have liked your character partaking in combat as well instead of strictly using monsters for combat.

I'm liking the concept, story, characters and combat enough to give it more of a chance, but I have a feeling that the complex Digimon aspect of it is going to ultimately make me stop playing since I like my RPGs a little more on the simpler and traditional side when it comes to design structure.

Shadow of the Colossus comes out next week.

Image
Last edited by Phaseknox on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
jfissel
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:18 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 5: 2/3/18: Shadow of the Colossus Edition

Post by jfissel » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:59 pm

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Virtue's Last Reward

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 29 games

Didn't have time to dive into VLR yet. SotC arrives on Tues, can't wait to check out the visuals of the remake.
Image
User avatar
canedaddy
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:36 pm

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 5: 2/3/18: Shadow of the Colossus Edition

Post by canedaddy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:41 am

I have no idea what Digimon is but my guess is a poor man's Pokemon.

Played this week: Horizon Zero Dawn

Finished this week: nothing

Added to backlog this week: nothing

Current backlog: 35 (11 PS4, 10 Vita, 7 PS2, 5 3DS, 2 PS3)

I played a lot of Horizon this week. Up to 75% now. What a game.

The SotC remake is looking SWEET.
Image
User avatar
isthatallyougot
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:52 pm

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 5: 2/3/18: Shadow of the Colossus Edition

Post by isthatallyougot » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:58 am

Haven't had too much gaming time of late, but I did hook up one of my PS2s to the only remaining CRT in the house. I'd like to dive into my backlog. Man I love that machine. So much nostalgia. Hearing it boot up for the first time in a while was sweet, sweet music to my ears.
Image

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
User avatar
argyle
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:28 pm

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 5: 2/3/18: Shadow of the Colossus Edition

Post by argyle » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:54 am

Games added: Dragon Ball Fighterz, Bleed 1&2

Last week: Finished nothing, played a ton of Monster Hunter

This week: More MH.

Sorry I've been out of pocket lately, but work has really, really sucked. We had the head of the dept & our network admin quit within a month of each other (head of dept. retired, net admin got a much better job offer). That's thrown a ton of work on the rest of us in the dept, along with a lot of structure upheaval. That would be bad enough, but my supervisor - who out of everyone in the dept. I work closest with because of location, he and I are on one campus while the rest of the team is on the other - is the laziest human being I've ever met. He disappears for long periods of time, and when he is there he usually stays holed up in his office. Either way he isn't doing anything to help me, so I'm doing 80% (and I'm being conservative) of the work on my campus plus being a resource for the other guys since out of all the techs I've been there much longer than anyone else. It's a very stressful situation, and probably why I'm up now at 2:50 a.m. :(

On the up side, Tam and I have been having a blast with MH. Phase, you asked me last week if I thought you'd enjoy it and I honestly don't know. For me, a large part of the draw is the multiplayer aspect so I can't really say how much you'd enjoy it single player. It's worth checking out if you get the chance, but I'd recommend a Redbox rental or picking it up used at Gamestop so you can return it if it's not your bag.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Image
User avatar
jfissel
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:18 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 5: 2/3/18: Shadow of the Colossus Edition

Post by jfissel » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:18 am

3 colossi down, 15 fruits eaten, 1 silver lizard tail consumed. The special edition comes with a map, some stickers, some art cards, a printed manual, and a steelbook case that has colossus 3 on the cover (at least for me).
Image
User avatar
argyle
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:28 pm

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 5: 2/3/18: Shadow of the Colossus Edition

Post by argyle » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 am

jfissel wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:18 am
3 colossi down, 15 fruits eaten, 1 silver lizard tail consumed. The special edition comes with a map, some stickers, some art cards, a printed manual, and a steelbook case that has colossus 3 on the cover (at least for me).
Is that why the #3 is circled on the back? I was wondering about that...

I got lucky w/ the SE - waited too long to preorder & they were sold out everywhere. But this past weekend a friend of mine texted me asking if I wanted it - when he went in to GS to pay some more on his preorder (and coincidentally, the GS near my work where I usually go anyway) they misunderstood & put down a second preorder for him.

Added bonus, someone bought the silly DLC code that came with it for $40 on ebay. :P Win!
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Image
User avatar
Phaseknox
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:20 am

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 5: 2/3/18: Shadow of the Colossus Edition

Post by Phaseknox » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:19 am

I started enjoying Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth the more that I played it since I started to understand the Digimon aspect of it better, but I decided to stop playing it because it's not really what I'm in the mood to play right now. However, it's something that I plan on playing again in the future.

This is the first time in a long time that I don't want to play anything until a new anticipated game of mine comes out, and that game is Kingdom Come: Deliverance. It comes out next Tuesday, and is one of my most anticipated games of the year. It will be the first $59.99 game that I buy on day one in a really long time. I'm in the mood to play it now, and the story alone is said to be 50+ hours not including all of the side content. It's a story driven first person medieval open world quest based action RPG grounded in reality, and it's said to have some sim elements to it as well such as you needing to eat, drink and sleep. I just think that it's something that I'm going to really like.
User avatar
jfissel
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:18 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 5: 2/3/18: Shadow of the Colossus Edition

Post by jfissel » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:29 am

argyle wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 am
jfissel wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:18 am
3 colossi down, 15 fruits eaten, 1 silver lizard tail consumed. The special edition comes with a map, some stickers, some art cards, a printed manual, and a steelbook case that has colossus 3 on the cover (at least for me).
Is that why the #3 is circled on the back? I was wondering about that...

I got lucky w/ the SE - waited too long to preorder & they were sold out everywhere. But this past weekend a friend of mine texted me asking if I wanted it - when he went in to GS to pay some more on his preorder (and coincidentally, the GS near my work where I usually go anyway) they misunderstood & put down a second preorder for him.

Added bonus, someone bought the silly DLC code that came with it for $40 on ebay. :P Win!
Yeah, the 3 and the cover colossus line up that way. But it seems everyone online has 3 at this point...

The in-package code or the preorder bonus code?
Image
User avatar
argyle
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:28 pm

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 5: 2/3/18: Shadow of the Colossus Edition

Post by argyle » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:22 pm

jfissel wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:29 am
argyle wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 am
jfissel wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:18 am
3 colossi down, 15 fruits eaten, 1 silver lizard tail consumed. The special edition comes with a map, some stickers, some art cards, a printed manual, and a steelbook case that has colossus 3 on the cover (at least for me).
Is that why the #3 is circled on the back? I was wondering about that...

I got lucky w/ the SE - waited too long to preorder & they were sold out everywhere. But this past weekend a friend of mine texted me asking if I wanted it - when he went in to GS to pay some more on his preorder (and coincidentally, the GS near my work where I usually go anyway) they misunderstood & put down a second preorder for him.

Added bonus, someone bought the silly DLC code that came with it for $40 on ebay. :P Win!
Yeah, the 3 and the cover colossus line up that way. But it seems everyone online has 3 at this point...

The in-package code or the preorder bonus code?
The package code. And with how limited the set is anyway I'd be shocked if there were variants to the steelbook.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Image
Post Reply