The Backlog Check-in Vol. 75: 6/8/19: E3/Sony Days of Play Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 75: 6/8/19: E3/Sony Days of Play Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Shantae: Risky's Revenge

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Shantae: Risky's Revenge

Added: Days Gone, Spider-Man, Yakuza Kiwami 2

E3 is this week, but I personally couldn't care less about it since Sony isn't going to be there.

Sony Days of Play is also going on all this week. I got Days Gone, and Spider-Man.

jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 75: 6/8/19: E3/Sony Days of Play Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: InFAMOUS: First Light (story)

Now Playing: InFAMOUS: First Light

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 28 games

Beat First Light's story and now I'm working on the challenges and arenas.

There are some great sales in Sony's Days of Play, but nothing that would be cheaper than if I bought it later. Microsoft just showed off Project Scarlett for Holiday 2020, so we'll see what the PS5 has in store when more details emerge.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Still playing Dark Souls 3 and Trackmania Turbo.

I also started up Harvest Moon : The Tale of Two Towns from my DS backlog. I considered firing up Stardew Valley, but I was afraid it would make some of these older Harvest Moons pale in comparison or feel obsolete, so I dove in. I'm really enjoying it so far, but this formula is always fun for me.

I think I may pick up God of War, Spiderman, and SOTC remake since they're on sale.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:53 pmThere are some great sales in Sony's Days of Play, but nothing that would be cheaper than if I bought it later.
Perhaps not, but by waiting to buy them later you'll be getting the ugly PlayStation Hits versions.
jfissel wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:53 pmMicrosoft just showed off Project Scarlett for Holiday 2020
They didn't show it off, they simply gave a little information about it just to get the jump on Sony. As predicted, this year's E3 SUCKS!!!!
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:05 pmI think I may pick up God of War, Spiderman, and SOTC remake since they're on sale.
Get them now before Sony releases the ugly PlayStation Hits versions.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: Tetris Effect, Pato Box, Warhammer: Chaosbane

Last week: Finished nothing, played Lapis x Labyrinth, Warhammer, Tales of Berseria and a little Tetris Effect

This week: Same.

Lapis x Labyrinth is a very addictive and frantic 2d hack 'n slash RPG. It has a great colorful artstyle and is just plain fun. It's on both the PS4 & Switch, but its pick up & play nature makes it a perfect fit for the Switch.

Warhammer: Chaosbane is the game you want if you miss Champions of Norrath. The setting, story and gameplay all have that same feel to them. Tam and I have been having a lot of fun playing this one co-op, she's playing the ranger and I'm playing the mage. Highly recommended for anyone like us who has worn out Diablo III but is still itching for that type of gameplay.

As for E3, we've gotten a lot of release dates for some long in-development games that frankly are sooner than I was expecting. Final Fantasy 7 Remake comes out next March with Cyberpunk 2077 just a month later, and they both look incredible. For this year, Code Vein hits late Sept - I can't wait to play more of that one - and late October through November is just packed with big releases. The Outer Worlds, one of my current most-wanted games, hits the last week of Oct., and on the same day we get the MediEvil remake. Then Nov will see the release of Death Stranding, Pokemon Sword & Shield, Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order, Doom Eternal and Shenmue III. That's nuts.

There haven't been a ton of newly announced titles - especially not with any gameplay to back them up. But that's to be expected this close to a new console cycle. But there have been some gems - Tales of Arise looks amazing, and has Namco finally overhauling the Tales franchise a good bit. The new Watch Dogs game looks great, but it has the unfortunate luck of releasing on the exact same day as the FF7 Remake - ouch.

I see this next year or so of gaming as a "payoff" year where we'll finally be seeing the release of some very, very anticipated games - and I'm definitely OK with that. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:10 pm Get them now before Sony releases the ugly PlayStation Hits versions.
I did pick them up, and I used to care about that sort of thing, but no longer. I'm content with digital, and I'd get them that way if they were available on PC. But for console, I figured I'd go ahead and get the disc and unload it later if it doesn't warrant a permanent place in my library.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:52 amAs for E3, we've gotten a lot of release dates for some long in-development games that frankly are sooner than I was expecting. Final Fantasy 7 Remake comes out next March with Cyberpunk 2077 just a month later, and they both look incredible. For this year, Code Vein hits late Sept - I can't wait to play more of that one - and late October through November is just packed with big releases. The Outer Worlds, one of my current most-wanted games, hits the last week of Oct., and on the same day we get the MediEvil remake. Then Nov will see the release of Death Stranding, Pokemon Sword & Shield, Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order, Doom Eternal and Shenmue III.
Yeah, there's still some good games coming out this gen. The games that you mentioned that I'm interested in are Code Vein, Cyberpunk 2077, Death Stranding, Final Fantasy VII Remake, The Outer Worlds and Shenmue III. I don't have an interest in Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order because the main protagonist doesn't appeal to me. Code Vein, Cyberpunk 2077 and The Outer Worlds all allow you to choose the gender and/or look of your character which is becoming more of the norm with modern games, and is something that I like because having to play as a main protagonist that I don't like can be a deal-breaker.
argyle wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:52 amThere haven't been a ton of newly announced titles - especially not with any gameplay to back them up. But that's to be expected this close to a new console cycle. But there have been some gems - Tales of Arise looks amazing, and has Namco finally overhauling the Tales franchise a good bit. The new Watch Dogs game looks great
Yeah, this is basically the last E3 for this gen. Next year's E3 is going to be all about next gen, except for Nintendo of course which had a pretty good showing this E3. Tales of Arise looks good, and is what I expected from the Tales series from the beginning of this gen. Watch Dogs Legion looks really good, and is another game where you can choose to play as the character(s) that you want instead of being forced to play as one that you might not like.
isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:20 am
Phaseknox wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:10 pmGet them now before Sony releases the ugly PlayStation Hits versions.
I did pick them up, and I used to care about that sort of thing, but no longer. I'm content with digital, and I'd get them that way if they were available on PC.
I started physically collecting for the PS4, so I'm going to continue to do so. And since it's rumored that the PS5 is going to be backwards compatible with the PS4, I'll probably physically collect for it as well. I don't plan on buying as many games, because I'm not like I used to be where I wanted to play just about everything. I'm a lot pickier when it comes to games now.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle, thanks for the word on Chaosbane. Always looking for a good "skeleton killer," as my brother calls the genre. :P