The Backlog Check-in Vol. 77: 6/22/19: Judgment Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 77: 6/22/19: Judgment Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Days Gone

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Days Gone

Added: Detroit: Become Human, Shenmue I & II

I've played a lot of Days Gone, and I'm really enjoying my time with it. It's a solid game in just about every way: story, characters, gameplay, music, etc. I think that the latest patch might have fixed a lot of the technical issues that I've heard about, because I haven't experienced too many.

My only real nitpicks with the game are that the game world itself is quite small for an open world game having you retread the same ground a lot, and since it takes place in the mountains/wilderness there's not a lot of variety to the environments. But the story, characters and core gameplay are all good making it something that's been holding my interest, and keeping me wanting to play.

While there are mission types that are repeated such as clearing out enemy encampments and zombie nests, there's also a good helping of story based missions (main and side) that have you doing other things. I like that there's a good mix to the gameplay including shooting, melee combat, stealth and riding your motorcycle. Everything is well balanced, and allows you to approach situations how you want for the most part.

While it's not blowing me away since it's basically another zombie game that borrows heavily from other games, it's still definitely entertaining. The zombie hordes are the scariest that I've experienced in a zombie game, because they're big hordes that run fast.

One complaint that I had early on was with the main character's voice acting, but it's actually quite good as I came to realize why he talks the way that he does. There are flashback scenes in the game showing him before the zombie apocalypse, and how he's changed after it.

Some of the characters do come across more like caricatures than real people, but a lot of the main characters seem like they could be real. It might not be Naughty Dog quality of writing and voice acting, but it's still pretty good.

It's shaping up to be one of the best games that I've played so far this year, and I see it making my top 5.

Judgment comes out this week:

jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 77: 6/22/19: Judgment Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: InFAMOUS: First Light

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 28 games

I found absolutely no time to play First Light last week. Judgment arrives on Tuesday, can't wait to play that!
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: Everspace & Hard Reset Redux (psn sale)

Last week: a LOT of Witcher 3, not really anything else

This week: the same, plus Bloodstained starting tomorrow (Switch version shipped a week later than the others)

I think I'm getting close to the end of the main story in W3 - hard to tell really, the side content is so compelling I keep getting sidetracked. Plan on playing the DLC as well since Tam tells me it's excellent as well (yeah, she finished the game a LONG time ago :P).

I'm picking up some indie games that are getting physical releases in July, but the next major game I'm probably getting will be Astral Chain in August.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I played more Days Gone, and I'm really enjoying it. It's the type of game that I can play a little or a lot of, it has a pick up and play fun factor to it. It feels a little small scale in terms of open world games, but it's more content packed than I was expecting and the gameplay is really good. It has some of the best weather effects that I've seen in a game, especially the snow. Usually in games it only snows in areas where snow is already everywhere, but in this game it will start snowing in a clear area and snow will build up on everything. The graphics in general are really good, the detail and lighting are impressive. It's shaping up to be the second best game that I've played this year, just behind Mass Effect: Andromeda.
jfissel wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:27 pmJudgment arrives on Tuesday, can't wait to play that!
It's Tuesday, impressions please. :P
argyle wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:50 pmI think I'm getting close to the end of the main story in W3 - hard to tell really, the side content is so compelling I keep getting sidetracked.
Now that you've put some serious time into it, what's your overall opinion of it? Is it comparable/better than Assassin's Creed: Odyssey which I know is one of your favorite open world action RPGs. By the way, did you finish Tales of Berseria? I'm just curious if your opinion of it changed at all. I liked it enough to play it again at some point.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:51 pm
jfissel wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:27 pmJudgment arrives on Tuesday, can't wait to play that!
It's Tuesday, impressions please. :P
Whoa, hey, hold on there... :P

I just got the package out of the mailbox, but won't have time to play it tonight anyway.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Harvest Moon The Tale of Two Towns is so fun. This series is just so addictive to me. So much to do every day and the flow of everything is just right.

I think I beat the next to the last boss in Dark Souls 3, so I'm just about to close the book on my first run. I may or may not do a NG+ right away. We'll see how beat up I am. :P

Mad Max has been pretty fun so far - a bit too much check-listy, but so many games are nowadays. The atmosphere is really true to the franchise imo.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!