The Backlog Check-in Vol. 89: 9/14/19: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 89: 9/14/19: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Decay of Logos, Jagged Alliance: Rage!, Strange Brigade

Finished (playing): Decay of Logos, Jagged Alliance: Rage!

Playing: Strange Brigade

Added: Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, Ghost Recon: Wildlands

I stopped playing Decay of Logos because it got really cheap where enemies started taking tons of hits to defeat, but could kill me with just a couple of hits. That's just a lazy way to make a game more challenging, and I find it to be cheap and not fun. I like a lot about the game, but it's unfortunately unbalanced and unfinished. I'll play it again in the future if the developers release an update for it that fixes balancing issues and bugs.

I started playing Jagged Alliance: Rage! since I like a good tactical turn-based strategy game once in a while, and I found it to be decent. It's on the lower budget side, but offers some charm. It feels somewhat like a poor man's XCOM, but with a mercenary theme. I was somewhat enjoying it, but it's really challenging even on easy requiring a lot of trial-and-error. I'm just not in the mood for its methodically slow paced trial-and-error gameplay right now, but it's something that I plan on coming back to in the future when the mood strikes me more.

I started playing Strange Brigade, and it's a fun old school style arcade-ish/linear-ish third person action shooter hybrid with some light puzzle solving. It looks and plays good, and has charm and humor. It's a co-op game that gives off the feeling that you're supposed to be playing with others like co-op games usually do, but I'm still enjoying it solo.

I didn't get Borderlands 3 because I wasn't sure that I wanted it on day one for $60+ since it will most likely be a lot cheaper on Black Friday, and I was also thinking of waiting for the inevitable complete edition. But I really want to play it now, so I might go ahead and get it since I have a lot of GameStop credit.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening comes out this week:
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 89: 9/14/19: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

I finished up the Speed Punks campaign. It was really fun overall. Not too far off CTR really. It definitely had its own charms.

I'm definitely feeling some PS1 nostalgia, because I started up Crash Bash and Asteroids (PS1 version). They're both pretty fun so far.

I'm still playing Harvest Moon & PES as well. I also started up Ape Escape 2. I don't think I mentioned that before. I'm about 30% completion, and having a really good time with that too.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 89: 9/14/19: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Edition

Post by argyle »

Games added: Greedfall, Daemon X Machina, Borderlands 3, Oninaki

Last week: Finished nothing, played Diablo 3, The Bard's Tale 1, The Messenger, Borderlands 3, Gears 5

This week: More Messenger, Borderlands 3 & Gears 5

Decided to pick up Borderlands 3 because Tam had an interest in it. She and I have had a blast with it so far, so it will be our co-op game for the next few weeks.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Dragon Quest Builders 2 (platinum)

Now Playing: Infamous: First Light

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 30 games

Going to switch back to Infamous: First Light as I need to finish up the platinum trophy.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I started playing Ghost Recon: Wildlands and it's not really the game that I was expecting it to be, but in a good way. I went into it knowing that it's a co-op game that can be played single player with three AI squad mates that you issue commands to, but what I didn't know is that there's a solo mode where you can play the game alone without the AI squad mates. This changes the game from a more methodical tactical one into more of a single player action game which I prefer.

You can choose the gender of your character, and somewhat customize their appearance with a few different face types and hairstyles. There's a lot of clothing and equipment options, but it's all mostly just various military stuff. The good thing is that your character has a voice, and is in the cut scenes. The game offers more story than I was expecting, and it's been fairly decent.

The game is a third person open world military action game similar to Mercenaries 2: World in Flames, but darker and more serous in tone. However, the actual gameplay is very similar to other third person open world action games like Mercenaries 2, Grand Theft Auto and Saints Row with some Far Cry thrown in the mix as well. It was developed by Ubisoft Paris which I didn't even know was a thing, and they tried to mimic Ubisoft Montreal developed games in both look and design. They nailed the look of the game world as it's realistic and impressive looking, but your character animates and controls a little clunky and stiffly and the vehicles feel clumsy. Animations and controls lack the finesse and fluidity of Ubisoft Montreal games, but nothing is bad.

The game world is huge (perhaps the biggest that I've seen in a Ubisoft game), and it's packed with stuff to do. There's variety to the gameplay, and the things that you do in the game. There's a good mix of action and stealth. I'm a big fan of Mercenaries 2 and that's what this game reminds me of most, so I've been enjoying it.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I got a free code for that game and never played it. :oops:

Played last week: Red Dead Redemption II

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 36 (14 PS4, 9 Vita, 7 3DS/2DS, 5 PS2)

I wrapped up the last few things I had to do in RDR2... murder mystery and squirrel statue... and took the game out of the PS4. What a great ride it was!

I started Borderlands 3 tonight and it seems like more of the same so far (not a bad thing). Any thoughts on which playable character is best? I started with FL4K and I'm not sure that's the one for me.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:36 amI got a free code for that game and never played it.
I stayed up until 2AM playing it. It's probably the best lone wolf military action game that I've played. It warns you that the game is more difficult in solo mode since you're playing it without squad mates, but I find it more enjoyable despite being more challenging because you can't just go in guns blazing - you have to be more stealthy with your approach. I had some of the coolest stealth moments that I've experienced in a game last night while playing it. But you can also free prisoners in some enemy encampments, and they will fight the enemies with you which is helpful.

While the nonlinear/non-scripted open world gameplay is the star of the game, it still offers a good amount of story elements with cut scenes for the main missions and in-game stuff like character radio conversations, documents, audio recordings, videos, etc. Your character also radios in to tell what's happening a lot of the time which is a nice touch.

I was thinking about getting Borderlands 3, but Ghost Recon: Wildlands has its hooks in me and I want to keep playing. I'm going to wait to get Borderlands 3 when it's cheaper, or when the inevitable complete edition comes out.
canedaddy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:36 amI started Borderlands 3 tonight and it seems like more of the same so far (not a bad thing). Any thoughts on which playable character is best? I started with FL4K and I'm not sure that's the one for me.
Moze looks the most appealing to me.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:36 am I wrapped up the last few things I had to do in RDR2... murder mystery and squirrel statue... and took the game out of the PS4. What a great ride it was!
So...is that it for your gaming career? :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Ha, that's not out of the question.
argyle

Post by argyle »

I've been playing Fl4k myself (from what little we've played so far) and I've been enjoying him, but from what I've seen there aren't really any dud characters. It's more just what clicks with you - I've always enjoyed playing the "pet class" in RPGs so that's why I like Fl4k. Tam is playing the main guy, I forget his name, but he's really cool too. She has an ability where she can put up a clone of herself that shoots, and then she can tap a button to swap places with the clone at any time. I'd say just try the others out & see which one you like - I haven't done any research online because I'm not really interested in "min/maxing" or anything, just looking to shoot some stuff & have fun. :D

I've owned that Ghost Recon game for at least a year now & haven't played it myself (beyond the intro, so maybe an hour tops?). Really do need to get around to it at some point. Very glad the PS5 will be backwards compatible w/ the PS4!

I've been playing some more Gears 5 on the 'Bone and it's fun, but it's Gears. They touted the open world as a big deal but unless something changes drastically - and I'm probably half-way through the game now - it doesn't amount to much more than a hub area between levels. The robot you have with you makes more of an impact on gameplay, but again even that's more iterative than anything. They did not reinvent the wheel here. :P

Playing The Messenger as my main Switch game right now - any of you guys play that yet? Pretty fun 8-bit style indie platformer, looks very reminiscent of the NES Ninja Gaiden games (tho not NEARLY as punishing as those games were). Has a great sense of humor too. Apparently at some point it switch to a 16-bit style according to the trailers I watched - I'm several levels into the game tho and it hasn't happened yet.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis