The Backlog Check-in Vol. 8: 2/24/18: Vacation Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 8: 2/24/18: Vacation Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Kingdom Come: Deliverance

I guess that if I don't make the backlog check-in thread then no one will. :P It's a few days late, but there doesn't appear to be anyone here to notice. :lol: I made it the vacation edition since cane and j are on vacation. ;)

I'm still playing Kingdom Come: Delivery Boy, and mildly enjoying it. Delivery Boy you say? In other RPGs they're quests, but in this one they're deliveries/errands. The majority of things that I've been doing in the game feel like deliveries and errands. I completely ignore the activities since they're pretty much just filler, the side quests are basically doing things for other people in the towns and involve a lot of going from town to town and talking. There's some investigation stuff as well. The story quests are a little better, but I've stopped doing them to do all of the side quests which there are a lot and some are interesting especially the humorous ones.

The world is a little small, and same-y looking. The farmland, fields, forests and towns that you see at the beginning of the game basically look the same that you see throughout the game. And with the world being somewhat small, you don't have to travel very far to uncover the next fast travel location. So once they're all uncovered, it's just fast traveling around the world instead of physically traversing it. But there's not much going on out in the world, and since it's all pretty much same-y looking farmland, fields and forests there's not much to miss by fast traveling. There's some treasure maps that show a drawing on them where to find a spot to dig up treasure as an incentive to explore the world more, but that's not really my thing.

A lot of the game just feels like doing errands for people, and they don't involve much other than traveling and talking. Some will involve fist fighting or sword fighting, but not too often. And admittedly the combat isn't the greatest. Even though it's supposed to be somewhat deep, it still comes down to a lot blocking and button mashing. And it's also pretty much designed for one-on-one encounters, so if you're up against multiple enemies they will all attack you simultaneously killing you quickly. That's not fun.

Speaking of fun, the game is entertaining in a somewhat chill medieval times simulation kind of way but lacks fun factor. It also lacks the grandeur of the time period experienced in other medieval games and movies as it's a lot of farmland, fields, forests and small towns instead of big cities and castles. I guess that the best way to describe it is somewhat dull. Nothing about it ever feels all that exciting, or interesting. Perhaps that will change when I play more story quests, but the side stuff hasn't been too thrilling.

Was the game worth $60+ on day one? No. I definitely could have waited to get it later for cheaper, especially since it has so many bugs and open world jank. It offers a lot of content, but none of it has been all that exciting. It has its moments, but for the most part it's been a somewhat humdrum experience so far. I'm enjoying it enough to keep playing it until completion, but it's not something that begs to be played.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 8: 2/24/18: Vacation Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Sorry, it didn't live up to your expectation/hopes phase. I still want to play it sooner or later, but I'm in no hurry.

I got sucked back into Out of the Park Baseball - a dangerous thing for me. Whenever I start it up, I can't put it down. Oh well. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:56 amSorry, it didn't live up to your expectation/hopes phase. I still want to play it sooner or later, but I'm in no hurry.
Yeah, it turned out to be somewhat of a disappointment. It starts out strong, but then kind of just fizzles with all of the mundane investigations and tasks that you have to do. I was expecting an epic medieval adventure, but instead got a somewhat humdrum medieval simulation where you essentially play a detective and an errand boy. It's definitely not all sword fighting, storming castles and rescuing fair maidens. And to add insult to injury, I discovered that the story isn't complete and that the game ends while you're still on your main objective making it have to be continued. There's a lot I like about the game, but it's definitely something that I could have waited to get later for cheaper and after a lot of the bugs and open world jank were fixed.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:44 pm I was expecting an epic medieval adventure...
Whenever I feel like having that experience, I always think, "I could just play Oblivion again." (or Skryim to a lesser extent, for me. I still want to play Morrowind as well.)

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!