The Backlog Check-in Vol. 10: 3/10/18: March Madness Edition

jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 10: 3/10/18: March Madness Edition

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:04 am That's somewhat true for me as well. I've played some big games this year that were fresh experiences that blew me away (Horizon, Witcher 3) but I'm doubtful anything else in the backlog will hit me that way. I have plenty of indy games and smaller stuff, but they're not pulling me in either. I'm off later this week with the house to myself so I'll fire up something and see if it gets me back into the groove.
Headlander? Did you ever play Uncharted: The Lost Legacy or The Last Guardian or Yakuza 0? My ability to "remember" these things without a history to search through is not good. :P
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

jfissel wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:29 pm Headlander? Did you ever play Uncharted: The Lost Legacy or The Last Guardian or Yakuza 0? My ability to "remember" these things without a history to search through is not good. :P
I started Headlander recently and it didn't click with me right away. I don't own any of the other three, unfortunately.

The most acclaimed game in my PS4 backlog is NieR: Automata but I'm just not psyched about firing it up... maybe because you have to run through it several times to get the "real" ending?

And I'm not geeked about anything else in there either.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:04 amI've played some big games this year that were fresh experiences that blew me away (Horizon, Witcher 3) but I'm doubtful anything else in the backlog will hit me that way.
I really enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn, but it didn't feel that fresh to me. It's basically the same formula as Ubisoft open world games. While it's a formula that I like, it's one that I've experienced a lot.
canedaddy wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:04 amI have plenty of indy games
Indiana Jones games? :P
isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:38 amIt's harder to replicate the "magic" in anything you enjoy with prolonged exposure. But if I'm feeling that way, I'll just spend time with some other activity. Ultimately, I always end up finding myself enjoying gaming again. But if not, no big deal. Lots of stuff to do in life.
While I haven't played a ton of PS4 games, what I have played makes this gen seem somewhat like a rehash of last gen giving it a been there done that feeling. I'm sure that there are games that I have yet to play that will make me feel differently, but that's the vibe that I've been getting. I'm not out of gaming (I doubt that I ever will be), I'm just not as excited about it now as I used to be. I feel that it kind of peaked last gen, and now we're just getting more of what we've already gotten before.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:01 am I'm not out of gaming (I doubt that I ever will be), I'm just not as excited about it now as I used to be. I feel that it kind of peaked last gen, and now we're just getting more of what we've already gotten before.
Maybe play something that's really off the beaten path. I don't remember if you game on PC or not. Maybe play something outside your normal interests or something on a dead platform that you never experienced. Maybe experiment a little.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:38 am Lots of stuff to do in life.
True!

isthatallyougot

Lol, I haven't seen that gif in a while.

Speaking of things to do in life, I don't know if any of you trade/invest in the markets at all, but it's how I spend a good portion of my "work" time when I'm not helping with our family business. Anyway, most of our money is in long-term ETFs, and it just sits there until retirement. But, I also do some active trading, both shorter and longer term. Long story short, not too long ago I established a position with MDXG, and I've recently been buying more and more, ultimately moving my average position down to $7.09 per share. I won't say how much I've leveraged, but suffice it to say, it's a significant position. The reason I share is that I rarely leverage this much capital on a single equity. I'll trade to take small chunks out of the market frequently, but I'm standing in the batter's box and looking at the stands in deep center with this one. This is not without risk of course, and particularly here with MDXG, there are some causes for concern. Additionally, anytime you're leveraging a significant amount of money in a single equity, you're at greater risk than you are with a fund, but conversely, the potential rewards are much higher as well. Obviously, I feel like I've done my due diligence and believe in my position, or else I wouldn't have established it. But the realist in me knows that this could move in either direction and in a fairly big way. But, I'm not short here, I'm long. My time table is end of the year (or longer), so I'm willing to absorb downward price fluctuations in the short term. And things are about to get VOLATILE. You can believe that.

So, if you want to watch me hit a glorious and towering shot out of the park to thunderous applause, or swing wildly at the air while I spin around and fall on my arse, shrinking to the jeers from the crowd, feel free to follow along. :P

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

There are few things I know less about than investing. I put whatever I have in mutual funds and only pay attention to it when I get the monthly statement.

So I have no clue what you're talking about with EDF and MDXG, but if you link a real-time graphic with ups and downs I'll look and hope for ups. :P
isthatallyougot

Bill Murray was great in that, lol.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/MDXG?p=MDXG

just a yahoo page for the equity

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:37 pmMaybe play something that's really off the beaten path. I don't remember if you game on PC or not. Maybe play something outside your normal interests or something on a dead platform that you never experienced. Maybe experiment a little.
I only game on Xbox 360 and PS4 which offer me more than enough games to play. I have digital/indie games that are off the beaten path, but like I said in a previous post in this thread digital/indie games tend to be lower budget arcade-y, artsy and quirky which while fun aren't quite the experiences that I like the most from gaming today which come from bigger budget retail released games. I know that I'm going to enjoy a lot of what I have in my collection, I just have to be in the right mood. I'm looking forward to Far Cry 5 which comes out the week after next, I think that it's something that I'm going to really enjoy.