The Backlog Check-in Vol. 11: 3/17/18: Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom Edition

jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 11: 3/17/18: Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom Edition

Post by jfissel »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:24 pm Started up Uncharted 4, and only got through the first couple chapters, but of course, gorgeous as always. Looking forward to enjoying this farewell (?) adventure to good ol' Nate.

Maybe I'll play TLL right after. (or take a break, who knows. :P)
Nah, play it right after and then you and cane can have a nice discussion since he'll be starting it soon.
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 11: 3/17/18: Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Yeah, I may. I just don't want to get burned out on the formula. Although I am curious since I've heard quite a few people (although likely the minority) proclaim it their favorite in the entire franchise.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

The Great Taste Club. Membership: 2.
isthatallyougot

Ha, sadly not too far off. I'll never understand the venom so many have towards UC3. It's incomprehensible to me. (or just hyperbole) I get preferring 2 over 3, fine. But essentially, THEY'RE THE SAME GAME!!!!! So silly to me.

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

I need to replay Uncharted 4, but The Lost Legacy is excellent. And that's great news because it means the series proved it can continue without Drake.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Is Naughty Dog going to make new Uncharteds? I didn't know that.
argyle

Post by argyle »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:24 am Ha, sadly not too far off. I'll never understand the venom so many have towards UC3. It's incomprehensible to me. (or just hyperbole) I get preferring 2 over 3, fine. But essentially, THEY'RE THE SAME GAME!!!!! So silly to me.
I don't hate 3, but I see 2 as the objectively better game. If ND could have had the story they originally intended play out in 3 then maybe, but since they were forced to write out one of the main characters half-way through the game & then went on to do a copy/paste of the ending of 2 it just feels disjointed and uninspired. U4 is definitely the best overall tho, I agree with cane on that.

So I've finally recovered from the nastiest stomach flu bug I've had in ages, so that's where I've been.

Games added: Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match, The 25th Ward: The Silver Case, Devil May Cry HD Collection, Dragon Quest Builders (Switch)

Last week: Finished nothing, played Shadow of War, Linelight, various Indies

This week: Dabbling with a few things until my Ni no Kuni 2 arrives (probably next week because I'm importing the UK CE).

I didn't finish Shadow of War, but I finished *with* it. Traded it in on Monday. It has the same problem many big budget sandbox games have - it has some interesting game ideas, but they are copied & pasted across a big game world so that you get to the point where you're effectively doing the same thing over & over. I put in around 15 hours & felt like I had seen pretty much everything the game has to offer. I may pick it back up down the line, when it's dirt cheap, but for now I feel like I got the "good" out of it. On the plus side, I lost a total of $1.50 between what I paid for it & what it traded in for. :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

$1.50, not too shabby.

Glad you're feeling better.
isthatallyougot

argyle wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:40 pm
I don't hate 3, but I see 2 as the "objectively better" game.
I hope you don't feel like I'm picking on you, but that saying...it makes me shiver. :P

I do understand the narrative complaints people had with 3, but it still wasn't enough to dampen the overall package for me, and a few select others, apparently. :)

I've played a little more of UC4 and I'm having a really good time with it. Do I smell brotherly betrayal? Maybe I'm reaching, and I hope it doesn't happen, but there is an odor. I'm still very early though. (I assume I'm early on still. I'm looking for the grave of Henry Avery in Scotland.)

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:49 pm Is Naughty Dog going to make new Uncharteds? I didn't know that.
Well, I'm not sure if they are...but with the positive reception of TLL, it makes sense to take another look at continuing the series if their plan was "1 extra and done."