The Backlog Check-in Vol. 12: 3/24/18: Far Cry 5 Edition

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 12: 3/24/18: Far Cry 5 Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

thanks for the impressions argyle/phase. I added a couple of things to my wishlist.

I finished up Uncharted 4, and it was a satisfying conclusion to the Nathan Drake story line. I'm not sure where I'd rank it in the franchise, but after playing my first thought is that I still prefer 3 over everything else. I'll have to think about it though.

I thought about playing The Lost Legacy after this, but I just can't do 2 of these games back to back. They're great fun, but I need a break from the formula after playing one.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:37 am
argyle wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:24 pmWonderboy: The Dragon's Trap - This is a remake of an old game, I believe originally for the Sega Master System (which is a system I don't believe I have ever touched). You can actually swap to the original 8-bit graphics and soundtrack with the press of a couple of buttons. The new graphics are gorgeous, it looks like a hand-drawn cartoon. But the gameplay is what's surprising, because if I didn't know any better I'd swear it was a modern made indie platformer. It's not perfect, but it has features that, given how old it is, put it well ahead of its time. It's non-linear - as you de which I'm really looking for feat bosses, you unlock different "forms" that allow you access to different areas and provide for accessing secrets in previously explored areas. It also has an equipment system that lets you up your attack & defense, as well as occasionally bestowing an added benefit (such as lava resistance).
It's definitely a great action adventure platformer that was essentially ahead of its time, and the sequels for the Genesis were even better incorporating RPG elements. They're both included on the upcoming Sega Genesis Classics collection which I'm really looking forward to.
Huh, I didn't know that - thanks for the heads up. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Dragon Quest XI out for PS4/Steam on September 4th! No 3DS version for the West apparently. Mark your calendars!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Sept. 4 DQ and Oct. 26 for Red Dead 2. I know what I'm doing next fall.
isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:10 am thanks for the impressions argyle/phase. I added a couple of things to my wishlist.
Same. Very much appreciated, especially on the ones that fly under the radar. I'm not as plugged into the gaming scene as I used to be, so it's great to hear about stuff like this.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:54 am I'm not as plugged into the gaming scene as I used to be, so it's great to hear about stuff like this.
I'm not as plugged into ANYTHING as I used to be. Dang, getting old just slows you the heck DOWN! Next thing I'll be plugged in to - life support machines. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I'm still playing Far Cry 5, it's just fun to pick up and play. It offers probably the most realistic looking and designed world that I've experienced in a game. Unfortunately, a lot of the characters in the game aren't very realistic - they're more like caricatures. The main story and its villains are rather dark and disturbing, the game world is extremely realistic with a violent tone with dead bodies strung up everywhere, but a lot of the side characters are goofy and silly. Their personalities and missions are comedy relief, but they're forced a little too much. The overall tone of the game feels a little inconsistent since it mixes dark and serious moments with comedic ones. I would have liked more of the characters to seem more realistic than like caricatures, because it takes away from the realistic nature of the game when a lot of them seem like unrealistic exaggerations.

A few other things that bother me about the game are playing as a silent protagonist, the constant cult member encounters and the bullet sponge animals. Playing as a silent protagonist doesn't bother me too much since this is more of a gameplay driven game than a narrative one, but it still has a narrative and you interact with a lot of characters so not saying anything at all in any situation does seem a little odd especially since all of the previous Far Cry games (except 2) had you playing as a voiced character. While the game is a step forward in a lot of ways for the series, this is an area where it's a step back. Also like with some other games where you can choose between a male and female character, the writing was written for a male character first so that if you play as a female character you'll be referred to as a male instead of as a female sometimes. It doesn't happen a lot, but when it does it can pull you out of the experience a little. The writing is also hurt a little by trying to make the character interactions work for both genders, because it makes it too obvious that you're playing a game that allows you to select the gender of your character instead of playing as an established one.

The frequency of random encounters with cult members out in the world is a little too high IMO. On the roads the majority of vehicles are cult members, and they instantly know who you are and attack immediately without hesitation. Sure there are little wanted posters with your picture on them scattered around the game world, but if you're dressed like all of the other non cult member civilian locals they shouldn't be able to know who you are the second that they see you. This defeats the purpose of you having to change into civilian clothes at the beginning of the game. I would prefer to wear my officer's uniform since I'm playing as a deputy officer, and not as a civilian.

The amount of bullets that it takes to kill the animals in the game is absurd. I empty clips into them, and they keep coming. It's ridiculous. The reason for this is because animal skins are worth a lot of money, so the developers made them take an unreasonable amount of bullets to kill them. They should have just made the animal encounters rarer, but there's animals attacking all of the time. I often fear the animals more than the armed-to-the-teeth cult members.

Those are pretty much my only complaints with the game so far, and none of them are major issues. The game is a ton of fun to play, and is packed with stuff to do. It seems like every NPC that I meet has something for me to do. Just the random enemy encounters out in the world are fun, because they almost always turn into some cool unscripted moments. It definitely feels like a Far Cry game because of its play mechanics, it includes elements from Far Cry 2, 3 and 4. But it has elements of games like Borderlands, Dead Island, Fallout, Mercenaries and Red Faction: Guerrilla (which is getting a re-mars-tered edition) as well. The guns for hire/fangs for hire aspect is really cool where you can have a person, or animal join you to fight. There's lots of weapons and vehicles, and they're all fun to use. There's tons of enemies to kill, and things to blow up. There's side activities like fishing, and racing. There's loot to find called prepper stashes that require you to figure out how to reach them. Doing all of this in one of the best looking open worlds that I've seen in a game along with great music just makes it something that's fun to pick up and play anytime.

As for the religious aspects, I don't feel that the game is mocking Christianity with the cult. They're a fanatical doomsday cult. One of your allies in the game is the pastor from the town's regular church. The game clearly shows the difference between the two, and how they're polar opposites. But if the religious aspects of the game are an understandable concern for some of you then you might want to read NeoGAF's Far Cry 5 thread where there are Christians discussing their experience with the game:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/far-cry- ... y.1461679/
jfissel wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:13 pmDragon Quest XI out for PS4/Steam on September 4th!
That's great news, thanks for sharing.
canedaddy wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:54 amVery much appreciated, especially on the ones that fly under the radar.
I agree. Thanks for bringing lesser known games to our attention, argyle.
isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:41 am
canedaddy wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:54 am I'm not as plugged into the gaming scene as I used to be, so it's great to hear about stuff like this.
I'm not as plugged into ANYTHING as I used to be. Dang, getting old just slows you the heck DOWN! Next thing I'll be plugged in to - life support machines. :P
:lol:
Last edited by Phaseknox on Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Thanks for the further impressions and the word on how it handles the faith aspects. Very helpful.
isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:41 am I'm not as plugged into ANYTHING as I used to be. Dang, getting old just slows you the heck DOWN! Next thing I'll be plugged in to - life support machines. :P