The Backlog Check-in Vol. 14: 4/7/18: Extinction Edition

canedaddy

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 14: 4/7/18: Extinction Edition

Post by canedaddy »

I know nothing about Extinction besides the fact that it's about fighting 150-foot tall ogres, so GOTY.

Played this week: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Planet of the Apes: The Last Frontier

Finished this week: Lost Legacy, Last Frontier

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 37 (11 PS4, 11 Vita, 7 PS2, 5 3DS, 2 PS3)

Yeah, I beat two games this week. Worship me! :P

Lost Legacy is fantastic... some of the best DLC I've ever played. Highly recommended if you haven't played it.

Last Frontier is a Telltale knockoff with mostly obvious player choices, but I liked it because it lets you use Playlink so a large group can vote on decisions, and because it's from my favorite IP.

jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 14: 4/7/18: Extinction Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Virtue's Last Reward (still working through endings)

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 30 games

I think I have 4/9 endings so far in VLR...hopefully will get the rest this week.

Cane, what was your favorite part of Uncharted: TLL? Did you enjoy the openness of The Western Ghats?
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Yeah, I loved that part... very cool to be able to explore the map and take on each area as I wanted. I also really enjoyed the giant statue area and the train sequence. The whole game is outstanding, honestly.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:11 pm
Lost Legacy is fantastic... some of the best DLC I've ever played. Highly recommended if you haven't played it.
Does it not feel like a full, standalone game? Too short or what? I mean you qualified it as "DLC" is why I'm asking.

As for myself, I'm still loving all my time with OOTP. Indians and Brewers are in the Series with the Indians having just taken game 1 7-6 with a walk-off home run in the bottom of the ninth by their rookie catcher who has been absolute FIRE in the playoffs after a decent, but not great, season. They're 8-1 in the post-season thus far while the Brewers are 7-3, having won their division with only 84 wins (a game over the Cubs and 2 over the Cards) and a -47 run differential. Somehow they just keep advancing. Probably due to being 2nd in the majors in HRs.

I'm also a good 30 mission into Earth Defense Force 2025. That game is just pure silly fun. Everything feels so good though, and it's just a blast to play. It's so satisfying mowing down endless hordes of space-bugs, etc.

I also started up Digital Devil Saga. After falling in love with Nocturne in my first experience with the press-turn battle system, I was itching for some more SMT, and this has a promising start so far. I doubt it will reach the heights of Nocturne for me, but if it does, whoa Nelly!

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
sonuckles

Post by sonuckles »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:07 pmI also started up Digital Devil Saga. After falling in love with Nocturne in my first experience with the press-turn battle system, I was itching for some more SMT, and this has a promising start so far. I doubt it will reach the heights of Nocturne for me, but if it does, whoa Nelly!
I was seriously going to try and beat SMT3 over the holidays but just couldn't do it. I made it father than ever, but for some reason I keep losing steam about half way through. I think it's because of how samey every area looks. Anyway, I've heard DDS is good, so keep us up to date on that one.

This week I'm still on Wolfenstein. I'm at stage 10. I find I've got enough steam to beat one level, then I have to put it down for a while. Still, it's holding my attention well enough.

Meanwhile, I picked up Far Cry 2 from the Humble Store. All this FC5 talk got me in the mood to play it. Plus I'm too cheap to buy a $60 game on launch, so I don't mind playing its 10 year old predecessor. I threw the game onto Vorpx and tried to play it on the Vive to mixed results. Head tracking didn't work too well, and the darn cutscenes gave me nausea something terrible what with all the head swinging, but I did find that aiming down the sights in VR makes FPS a breese.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:11 pmI know nothing about Extinction besides the fact that it's about fighting 150-foot tall ogres, so GOTY.
It looks interesting enough to pick up when I can get it for cheap, but GOTY? Um... no.
canedaddy wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:11 pmLost Legacy is fantastic... some of the best DLC I've ever played. Highly recommended if you haven't played it.
DLC? It's a standalone game. It might have began as an Uncharted 4 expansion, but it turned into its own separate standalone game during development.
sonuckles wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:08 pmI picked up Far Cry 2 from the Humble Store. All this FC5 talk got me in the mood to play it. Plus I'm too cheap to buy a $60 game on launch, so I don't mind playing its 10 year old predecessor.
It's hard to believe that Far Cry 2 is 10 years old. It's still the most realistic in the series. Far Cry 5 is like a greatest hits Far Cry game taking elements from all of the previous games, and putting them into one. From a story, character and main mission perspective Far Cry 3 is still my favorite, but Far Cry 5 is definitely the best when it comes to pure fun factor IMO.
sonuckles

Post by sonuckles »

I can agree with your FC3 assessment, Phase. It was the first one I really sunk my teeth into, and I loved every second of it. It also taught me there's no shame in playing a fps on easy.
I saw a really good video on the realism of fc2 vs 5 and I was surprised at all the attention to detail.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:07 pm Does it not feel like a full, standalone game? Too short or what? I mean you qualified it as "DLC" is why I'm asking.
Phaseknox wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:57 pm DLC? It's a standalone game. It might have began as an Uncharted 4 expansion, but it turned into its own separate standalone game during development.
I wasn't dissing it at all by calling it DLC. Maybe "standalone expansion" would be a better? It clearly uses assets from U4 and it's a lot shorter than a typical Uncharted game, but it's still outstanding. I'd put it up there with The Ballad of Gay Tony, which I liked more than the mainline GTA IV, and inFamous First Light, which a lot of folks prefer to Second Son.

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:57 pm It looks interesting enough to pick up when I can get it for cheap, but GOTY? Um... no.

Speaking of Far Cry 5, this addresses the weird coverage of the game...

I'm on board when it gets cheap.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

sonuckles wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:08 pm Anyway, I've heard DDS is good, so keep us up to date on that one.
Will-do.
Phaseknox wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:57 pm It's hard to believe that Far Cry 2 is 10 years old. It's still the most realistic in the series.
I've got a bunch of Far Cry titles in my backlog, and despite having yet to play any of them, Far Cry 2 is always the one I'm most tempted to play - the one I'm most interested in.
canedaddy wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:50 am I wasn't dissing it at all by calling it DLC. Maybe "standalone expansion" would be a better? It clearly uses assets from U4 and it's a lot shorter than a typical Uncharted game, but it's still outstanding. I'd put it up there with The Ballad of Gay Tony, which I liked more than the mainline GTA IV, and inFamous First Light, which a lot of folks prefer to Second Son.
Gotcha.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Who here is getting God of War on day one? I just preordered it.