The Backlog Check-in Vol. 14: 4/7/18: Extinction Edition

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 14: 4/7/18: Extinction Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

I'm debating it cane, but I probably won't. For one, I'm knee deep in some other titles. And for another, I'm not convinced I'll love this new GOW. I may, but from what I've seen, it's not the direction I want from the franchise. But I've admittedly not seen much, so fingers still crossed.

I'm sure it will be a good game, I'm just not sure it will be a good GOW game (from my perspective).

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: Far Cry 5, Yokai Watch 2: Fleshy Souls

Last week: Mainly Far Cry 5, with a little Mummy Remastered

This week: The same, and I want to start Yokai for my portable game if I get a chance.

So I'm over half-way through the story in FC5 now (about to take out the 2nd "captain", then there's one left & the boss). The game is excellent, and there's definitely nothing I find offensive in it. They aren't trying to make any religious or political statements at all, which is welcome - I don't need that stuff in my games. ;) As Phase mentioned in the old thread, they have a system in place that addresses the one thing I was worried about - the game losing focus due to it being more open. The system where when you progress so far in an area you're forced into a story segment works great IMO and really helps keep you in the story. You still choose what you do 99% of the time, so it's not a hindrance in the slightest. There's a ton to do in the game, but it doesn't feel like filler or just copy & pasted repetitive activities (like Shadow of War felt). The side missions have stories that are entertaining and engaging and the minute-to-minute gameplay is dynamic and just fun. Overall it's a fantastic game. I don't know that I'd say it's the BEST open world sandbox game I've played, but then Phase hasn't played the ones I'd put above it (AC Origins and Breath of the Wild). There's another one that some would probably say is still better as well that he hasn't played, but I can't quite remember what it is...

canedaddy wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:33 pm Who here is getting God of War on day one? I just preordered it.
I traded in a bunch of PS3 games yesterday (as in a BUNCH, all either crap or games that have been ported to the PS4) and used some of the credit to preorder it. I should have FC5 wrapped up by then, and I'm really looking forward to it. :D
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:59 am So I'm over half-way through the story in FC5 now (about to take out the 2nd "captain", then there's one left & the boss). The game is excellent, and there's definitely nothing I find offensive in it. They aren't trying to make any religious or political statements at all, which is welcome - I don't need that stuff in my games. ;) As Phase mentioned in the old thread, they have a system in place that addresses the one thing I was worried about - the game losing focus due to it being more open. The system where when you progress so far in an area you're forced into a story segment works great IMO and really helps keep you in the story. You still choose what you do 99% of the time, so it's not a hindrance in the slightest. There's a ton to do in the game, but it doesn't feel like filler or just copy & pasted repetitive activities (like Shadow of War felt). The side missions have stories that are entertaining and engaging and the minute-to-minute gameplay is dynamic and just fun. Overall it's a fantastic game. I don't know that I'd say it's the BEST open world sandbox game I've played, but then Phase hasn't played the ones I'd put above it (AC Origins and Breath of the Wild).
Awesome to hear... thanks. I might have to make it the game I play between GoW and DQXI.
argyle wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:59 am There's another one that some would probably say is still better as well that he hasn't played, but I can't quite remember what it is...

Ha. Yeah, that one was pretty special in my book. I hope I live long enough to check out BotW. As for AC Origins, I have to ask... does it have any of the loathsome sci-fi stuff?
argyle wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:59 am I traded in a bunch of PS3 games yesterday (as in a BUNCH, all either crap or games that have been ported to the PS4) and used some of the credit to preorder it. I should have FC5 wrapped up by then, and I'm really looking forward to it. :D
Excellent. I'm not 100% sure about the new direction, but it looks like quite a spectacle and I'm looking forward to seeing what it has to offer.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Man, the GOW scores are awesome! Better than I was expecting. That's good to see.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Still working my way through Virtue's Last Reward. I'm enjoying all of the new information from the different story branches, but man it's going to be like 40 hours by the time I get everything.