The Backlog Check-in Vol. 15: 4/14/18: God of War Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 15: 4/14/18: God of War Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

God of War comes out next week, and it's been receiving glowing reviews. I always thought that it looked really good during development, and it's nice to know that it delivers. I'm a little hesitant to buy it on day one for $60+ since it's a 20+ hour game, but I also know that every minute of it will be a quality experience.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 15: 4/14/18: God of War Edition

Post by canedaddy »

I CAN'T WAIT.

Played this week: nothing

Finished this week: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 37 (11 PS4, 11 Vita, 7 PS2, 5 3DS, 2 PS3)

No gaming for me until Kratos and his boy arrive.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Virtue's Last Reward (all endings)

Now Playing: Rime

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 30 games

Finished all endings in VLR in 39:40...man, what a crazy game just like 999 (but also really good). I have Yakuza 6 Premium Edition coming on Tuesday and then God of War on Friday. Can't wait for both, but I'll get through GoW first. In the meantime, I may try to knock out Rime before Friday.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I played RIME earlier this year j. I didn't love it, but it wasn't bad, for sure. The ending made up for any reservations I had, at least in part.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I decided to get God of War on Friday, so this will be the first time in a long time that (almost) all of us here will be buying the same game on day one. I know that sonuckles can't be persuaded since he's part of the PC master race now :P, but come on izzy do it for the team. :D
isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:04 pmI played RIME earlier this year j. I didn't love it, but it wasn't bad, for sure.
I didn't care for it, it seemed like something made by a pretentious indie developer just trying to win indie game awards. The graphics were pretty, but everything else about it was ho-hum IMO.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:20 pm I didn't care for it, it seemed like something made by a pretentious indie developer just trying to win indie game awards. The graphics were pretty, but everything else about it was ho-hum IMO.
Well, I didn't think it was great, certainly, but it was an inoffensive 3/5 for me. But yeah, I get the "we're going to do something special" vibe from it.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I stopped playing Far Cry 5 because I won't be able to finish it by Friday. I didn't play it for a few days because I wasn't feeling too good, so I haven't made much progress for a while. I'll come back to it again after I finish God of War, and I'll start over from the beginning because by then I won't be able to just jump right back in where I was. I don't mind, because it's fun to play.

I decided to play School Girl Zombie Hunter since I know that it's on the short side, and I'll definitely be able to finish it by Friday. It's also a low budget, quirky, silly Japanese action game which will be nice to play before diving into the AAA epicness of God of War.
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:47 pmWell, I didn't think it was great, certainly, but it was an inoffensive 3/5 for me.
I didn't finish it, but based on what I played of it I would give it a 2/5 at best. It was pretty, but dull. I got sleepy every time that I played it. Just thinking about it makes me tired. :P
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

School Girl Zombie Hunter is a guilty pleasure. I played a good bit of it, and I find it fun. It's a pure arcade action game, there's no adventure or RPG elements to it. The missions are selected from a mission select screen, and consist of playing in self contained stages with time limits to complete the objectives in. While the objectives might differ a little, the core gameplay boils down to killing waves of zombies. Some stages you have to reach certain areas, some you have to collect items and some you have to survive onslaughts of zombies. After completing the stages there's story scenes that basically consist of the characters having conversations about the events going on. The story is absurd and silly, but I find it amusing and entertaining.

In addition to the story missions, there are optional sub missions. These are just as fun as the story missions. You're given mini objectives to complete within a certain time, and are rewarded with items and/or humorous dialogue scenes with the characters. What's cool is that the scenes are specific to which character that you did the mission with which adds replay value to them. They're not very long, so replaying them with different characters isn't very time consuming.

There's five different characters which all have their own missions at the beginning of the game to introduce you to them, then after that you can choose which one that you want to play for a mission unless a mission is character specific. One thing that I was disappointed by is that at the beginning the first character that you play as makes it to a room with an intercom to tell any survivors in the school to meet them there, then you play a mission as the other characters in different parts of the school. After the missions they go to join the first character that you played in the room, and I thought that you were going to have to physically travel to the room with those characters. But no, they just show up in a cut scene. It was a missed opportunity to have levels to play through as them to reach the room.

Each of the characters are basically the same just with different looks, and with a unique benefit that they have which aren't very substantial. While each one starts off with their own kind of gun, you can later have them use any of the guns that you want. So choosing which character to play as is more cosmetic than anything else. Most missions the other four characters will be alongside you.

There's really no beginning story which is disappointing, you just start off as a girl at her school with zombies attacking and she has a pistol for some reason and doesn't seem all that surprised by the zombie apocalypse. There's some hints in the story that the girls did shooting practice at the school, but that's about all the explanation given as to why they have pistols, shotguns, assault rifles and sniper rifles. They have grenades and razor wire tripwires as well. I know that the game is wacky, but I still think that a little more could have been done with the story instead of just having you begin shooting waves of zombies immediately without any backstory whatsoever.

The core gameplay is fast paced and fun with you using guns, a melee attack and some inventory items to kill the zombies with, and you have a dodge roll as well. There's a lot of different types of zombies, and it can get intense when they attack in hordes. One thing that you can do when the zombies become overwhelming is take off your school uniform, and throw it. They're attracted to it, and all run over to it for a limited time. If you keep it on, it gets ripped up when you get attacked.

While the game had the potential to be better than it is, it's still a fun action game to play if you like anime style quirky and silly Japanese games. I would say that it's most similar in style to Lollipop Chainsaw, but not as good of course.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:20 pm I didn't finish it...
Well, to be fair, the ending does put a nice bow on things, and I did find it fairly moving.

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Impressions of the Yakuza 6 After Hours Premium Edition extras will have to wait since my package was delayed by weather. Unsure if it'll arrive Wed or Thurs.