The Backlog Check-in Vol. 16: 4/21/18: Ummm, more God of War? Edition

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 16: 4/21/18: Ummm, more God of War? Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:38 pm I might have to drop the difficulty down to easy, because the game keeps throwing bigger mobs of enemies at me and it's becoming more frustrating than fun. I really like the combat, but it's less fun when battles become a frantic fight for survival. I know that some people (izzy :P) like that, but these days I just don't really have the patience for it. I want to be challenged, but not frustrated.
I don't like to be frustrated either, but I may have a high tolerance for opposition, I suppose.

On another note, I think MDXG is about to pop. (I mentioned this investment I made before.) Tomorrow it will likely explode or get crushed.

On an extra note :P , I watched A Quiet Place over the weekend with my family (first time I've been "out" to the theater in quite a while), and it was amazing. John Krasinski is a wonderful director, imo.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
sonuckles

Post by sonuckles »

It's half-way through the week so I guess I'm overdue for a post.

I picked up a lot of VR stuff from the Steam VR sale last weekend. I nabbed Sprint Vector, Thumper, Vertigo, Ultrawings, and Eagle Flight (along with a demo for a neat little 8-bit VR shooter called Compound). I was majorly debating over getting Raw Data and/or Sairento, but decided I blew out my games budget enough for this month. Besides, as cool as Raw Data is, the creepy "shoot the crawling robots in the dark" stage looked far too intense for me.

I don't know if I can embed Youtube anymore, but here's what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iY7NMlwa6w&t=2m25s

It's funny how things that would be fairly mundane on a TV screen become a nightmarish horror when doing VR. It's why I just can't pull the trigger on buying Doom VFR. It's just too intense looking. I swear, I don't want to touch any of the VR horror games out there (lookin' at you, Resident Evil 7).

As for stuff I've played, I put time into Shovel Knight and Final Fantasy XII. I'm totally lost in FF12. I guess I got too spoiled by today's hand-holding games. I kind of miss my waypoints and god beams in FF12.
isthatallyougot

sonuckles wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:05 am I picked up a lot of VR stuff from the Steam VR sale last weekend.
I still have yet to get into (or even experience...old man gif) VR yet. One day, I'll leave the "real" world behind. :P

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Cosmic Star Heroine is currently free on PSN, and there's some good sales going on there now as well.
isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:35 amI don't like to be frustrated either, but I may have a high tolerance for opposition, I suppose.
I don't think that you get frustrated quite as easily as I do, and I think that you like a higher level of challenge from games than I do as well. I like to be challenged to a certain degree, but I admit that these days I play games more for the experience than for the challenge. Of course the challenge is part of the experience for a lot of games, but I like to be able to set it to what suits my patience and tolerance most.
sonuckles wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:05 amI picked up a lot of VR stuff from the Steam VR sale last weekend. I nabbed Sprint Vector, Thumper, Vertigo, Ultrawings, and Eagle Flight (along with a demo for a neat little 8-bit VR shooter called Compound). I was majorly debating over getting Raw Data and/or Sairento, but decided I blew out my games budget enough for this month.
I don't think that any of us know what those games are. :P
sonuckles wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:05 amI don't know if I can embed Youtube anymore, but here's what I'm talking about.

The little monitor icon up top is for media, or just type [media][/media]. ;)
sonuckles wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:05 amIt's funny how things that would be fairly mundane on a TV screen become a nightmarish horror when doing VR. It's why I just can't pull the trigger on buying Doom VFR. It's just too intense looking. I swear, I don't want to touch any of the VR horror games out there (lookin' at you, Resident Evil 7).
Those are a couple of games that I would be most interested in playing with VR.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:36 am I don't think that you get frustrated quite as easily as I do, and I think that you like a higher level of challenge from games than I do as well. I like to be challenged to a certain degree, but I admit that these days I play games more for the experience than for the challenge. Of course the challenge is part of the experience for a lot of games, but I like to be able to set it to what suits my patience and tolerance most.

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

I agree with that.

I've dies numerous times on just regular difficulty...now a lot of those are due to trying to tackle extra stuff too early (like rift encounters and travelers), but there's been enough just in regular combat.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I played more God of War, and I'm enjoying it as much now as I was when I originally played it. Yes the structure changes a bit from being action adventure to being adventure action. ;) I wasn't expecting the change, and admittedly didn't fully embrace it at first. But I've adjusted to it now, and have accepted its slight change in direction.

While it still offers a lot of combat, it offers more puzzle solving and exploration off the beaten path for items, loot chests and additional challenges than I was expecting. The combat is one of my favorite aspects of the game, but it's nice to have other things to do to take a break from it.

The game looks and plays really good with impressive environments, and the adventure and puzzle elements add more to it. I was fine with it being more of a linear, directed and scripted action experience, but I'm also fine with it being a little more than that now too.