The Backlog Check-in Vol. 17: 4/28/18: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 17: 4/28/18: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: God of War

Finished: Nothing

Playing: God of War

Purchased: Blackwood Crossing, Kona

I'm still playing God of War, and really enjoying my time with it. I like the open areas, and optional side content more now since they're making the game feel like a meatier adventure. I enjoyed the favors (side quests) that I've done so far as they seemed a little more involved than side quests often are in other games. They took place in their own areas, and were lengthy.

I don't have too many complaints with the game, it looks good, plays good and is offering a lot to do.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze comes out for the Switch next week.

Last edited by Phaseknox on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 17: 4/28/18: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Edition

Post by canedaddy »

Played this week:

Finished this week: nothing

Added to backlog: God of War

Current backlog: 38 (12 PS4, 11 Vita, 7 PS2, 5 3DS, 2 PS3)

Still playing God of War, still loving it.
Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 17: 4/28/18: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:19 pmStill playing God of War, still loving it.
How have you been finding the challenge? I mentioned that it was getting a little tougher than I would like, but I played it some more and while it's definitely challenging it's also fair and just makes me have to play better. It has some of the best melee combat that I've experienced in a game.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I'm still playing Digital Devil Saga and really enjoying that one. The narrative backdrop of reaching nirvana has been pretty interesting, the dungeons have been good, and the press-turn system is always very fun.

I'm still buried in OOTP as well. I've currently played 159 hours in '18 and all this year. I can't stop playing.

I'm still really enjoying EDF 2025. Some of the missions are really tough though.

I think I'm going to take a "breather" game and play a quickie. I'll probably play The Order 1886 since I know it's a linear/minimal investment experience.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: God of War

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 32 games

God of War is awesome. I'm working on crafting/upgrading some epic armor in another realm, so that'll hopefully get me on par with these difficult optional boss fights. I've completed 3 of them, but they aren't easy.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:18 pm How have you been finding the challenge? I mentioned that it was getting a little tougher than I would like, but I played it some more and while it's definitely challenging it's also fair and just makes me have to play better. It has some of the best melee combat that I've experienced in a game.
I agree. Tough but fair and very fun.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

I have now finished God of War's story. Excellent game. Can't wait to clean up some of the things I missed along the way.
isthatallyougot

jfissel wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:48 pm I have now finished God of War's story. Excellent game. Can't wait to clean up some of the things I missed along the way.
How would you rank it compared to the 3 mainline entries j? I really loved all 3 (even Ascension, and the 2 PSP titles, to slightly lesser extent), and just curious how it frames relative to the rest of the series for you, considering how different it (apparently) is.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Where I'm at in God of War, I think that I might like the previous games more (especially 1 and 2). The new GoW starts off great with a tightly focused narrative, directed linear levels and great pacing. Along the way there are a few fun puzzles to figure out just enough to break up the combat. I was having a great time, and didn't want to put the controller down. After playing so many bloated games with optional filler content, it was nice to play something a little more directed and focused for a change. But several hours in it becomes a bloated game with optional filler content, especially where I'm at now where it has opened up even more and basically feels like a Ubisoft game at this point. It has a big open lake with small islands everywhere with an overabundance of side stuff to do especially tons of head scratching puzzles that slow down the pace of the game tremendously, and feel out of place.

They went overboard with the collectables, items, lore, puzzles, realms, unlockables, upgrades, etc. Most of it feels like filler to me, and the game would have been better just sticking to what it originally started out as IMO. It's also getting a lot harder making me play for shorter periods of time since a lot of the enemy encounters are daunting. I dropped the game down to easy again since it was getting harder so I figured that it would be more like normal, but it was still too easy not presenting any challenge whatsoever. So my options are either normal which feels more like hard to me, or easy which is pointless since it doesn't offer any challenge.

At this point I really just want to stick to the main story and ignore the side stuff since it seems out of place, and tacked-on to me. With the change of direction that the game has taken, I'm not really enjoying it as much now and just want to wrap it up and move onto something else.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:39 am But several hours in it becomes a bloated game with optional filler content, especially where I'm at now where it has opened up even more and basically feels like a Ubisoft game at this point.

At this point I really just want to stick to the main story and ignore the side stuff since it seems out of place, and tacked-on to me. With the change of direction that the game has taken, I'm not really enjoying it as much now and just want to wrap it up and move onto something else.

You're killing me phase. Well, I'll temper your opinions with the fact that you seem to be an outlier - that along with your...tendencies. :P

I finished The Order 1886 yesterday, and I enjoyed it much more than I expected I would, given my sense of the general reception. It was probably the best looking game I've ever seen (in many ways) but it also had an enjoyable narrative and decent gun play. I just wish the interactive bits weighed a bit heavier in the overall equation, but it was good as it was. I'd really be excited for a sequel in the same world, maybe with a bit more openness and a better balance of interactivity vs cinema.