The Backlog Check-in Vol. 22: 6/2/18: Onrush Edition

canedaddy

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 22: 6/2/18: Onrush Edition

Post by canedaddy »

Looks very cool, a bit like MotorStorm. Anyone getting it?

Played this week: Final Fantasy III and God of War

Finished this week: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 38 (12 PS4, 11 Vita, 7 PS2, 5 3DS, 2 PS3)

Still doing end game stuff in GoW. The you-know-whats are rough!

Also having a great time with FF3. Can't believe I never played it until now.
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 22: 6/2/18: Onrush Edition

Post by argyle »

I've been wanting to do a thread about Onrush for weeks now. Well anyway, yes, I am picking it up and have been very much looking forward to it since I "discovered" it about a month ago. The reason it reminds you of Motorstorm is because it's the same guys. Codemasters hired them & reformed the studio when Sony let them go. So that's the first notable thing about the game, and what first made me actually take it seriously & look into it further.

The next thing is what sold me on it. It's not a racing game. OK, I know what you're thinking. "Argyle, I just watched that trailer that Cane posted. I may never have heard of this game before, but there were *clearly* cars racing in that footage. You've cracked, it's obviously a racing game." Well it would appear that way, I admit. But just watch this - it's a little long, but well worth it and explains the game far better than I could here:

Not a summary, you really should watch that video if you're the least bit intrigued by the game - but to wet your appetite, there is no finish line in the game and the game modes have more in common with fighting and FPS games than racers.

So yeah, it looks like a blast & totally different from anything else out there, so I'm pretty excited about it. :)

Games added: Batman Arkham Origins: Blackgate, Batman: Return to Arkham, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (got my Kickstarter code in for the spin-off game last night), probably some more little things I'm forgetting but nothing major

Last week: Finished Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition (Story mode - the game is gargantuan, truly "finishing" it would take well over 300 hours easily so I'll still be playing this off & on for a while), played Batman: Arkham Asylum

This week: More of those 2, plus Onrush, starting Curse of the Moon and playing some more Elder Scrolls Online with the new expansion releasing this week.

I got Return to Arkham in the current PSN sale - it's $10, and I had that coupon for watching the Detroit video that knocked it down to $8. I figured $4/each for the 2 games was a pretty good deal. Really just fired up Arkham Asylum to see how good it looked. Was initially very impressed with how well the game has held up for a 9-year-old game. Then I surprised myself by how I got sucked into actually playing through it. Great game is still great, and I'm really enjoying going back through it.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Thanks for sharing that video. The game looks very cool, with all the unique things it's doing, and it's been forever since we've gotten a decent arcade racer. Adding it to the ol' wishlist.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Yakuza 6: The Song of Life

Added to Backlog: Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles

Current Backlog: 30 games

Added Yonder with my 20% off coupon, though I would have wanted to wait for a sale.

Onrush looks interesting for sure, will also put it on the list to buy someday.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Played some new minigames in Y6 and I think Izzy will be all over one of them. The first is spearfishing, where you actually dive underwater and have to complete a course while getting attacked by fish. All of the creatures you spear get you experience and cash. The second game is baseball. Yes, there's been batting cages forever (and they still have those in Y6), but this is basically a management sim. You recruit better players by completing substories and then assign players to positions, train them, assemble your batting order, and then play other teams. You even have to control the hitter, like the batting cage minigame, a few times a game.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Wow, that's bonkers. :)
argyle

Post by argyle »

jfissel wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:51 pm Played some new minigames in Y6 and I think Izzy will be all over one of them. The first is spearfishing, where you actually dive underwater and have to complete a course while getting attacked by fish. All of the creatures you spear get you experience and cash. The second game is baseball. Yes, there's been batting cages forever (and they still have those in Y6), but this is basically a management sim. You recruit better players by completing substories and then assign players to positions, train them, assemble your batting order, and then play other teams. You even have to control the hitter, like the batting cage minigame, a few times a game.
That sounds a lot like the Blitzball minigame in FFX...except, y'know, it'll make more sense because it's baseball. :P
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

You controlled more of the action in Blitzball though, which is why it sucked. :P

This is 95% sim with like 3 manual ABs per game. I admit I only played 1 game and haven't gotten too in-depth with the other things yet.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Do you have to win a championship after a 162-game season to get a platinum? :o
argyle

Post by argyle »

VERY early Onrush impressions (I've had a killer migraine for most of the day, so played very very little :( ):

* In a vid I watched early this morning, the devs said they were heavily inspired by games like SSX and Burnout. Even if I hadn't seen that, it's extremely obvious. From the music, interface, general vibe of the game to the arcadey feel of the game itself, it's all there. This is a very good thing btw. ;)

* There are no microtransactions. There ARE a TON of unlockables. You earn loot boxes - but key there is earn. Again, no microtransactions. I keep saying this because you absolutely don't see this anymore. The game feels extremely old-school in the very best of ways in this regard. As if someone took the PS2 mindset of unlockables, fun gameplay, etc. and then just upped the power they had to use by 1,000%. Hey, that's a good analogy - it feels like a PS2 game on steroids. :D

* It's gorgeous. I'm playing on the XBOneX, but the vid I saw today they said that they locked it in at 60fps on all consoles except for the vanilla XBOne. Smooth as butter and a very vibrant, colorful aesthetic - again, the general look of it reminds me a lot of SSX circa Tricky.