The Backlog Check-in Vol. 24: 6/16/18: New Gundam Breaker Edition

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 24: 6/16/18: New Gundam Breaker Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Your image isn't working for me, but I assume that it has something to do with me saying that I'm getting a little burned out on sequels yet The Last of Us Part II is the game that interested me most at E3. It's not a sequel it's a continuation, there's a difference. :P

But seriously I do like sequels to games that I enjoyed, but it's getting a little harder for me to get excited about sequels to games that already have several entries in their franchises. Also, I admit that I would like to see more new IPs and less sequels in general.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

The most exciting new IP I've seen is Cyberpunk 2077.

Soooo.... I just learned that the end of Final Fantasy IIII SUCKS!!!!!

Jason Schreier describes the experience perfectly:

The biggest problem: There are no save points. You can only save your progress on the world map. Like most Famicom games, Final Fantasy III goes for “fuck you” levels of difficulty, so if you die to a tough boss or unlucky encounter, you’ll get sent way back the last time you saved. If you happen to be at the end of a dungeon when you die, you’ll have to replay it all again.

Usually, this is a mild inconvenience that might lead to 10 or 20 minutes of retracing your progress. But the final dungeon, which comprises several dungeons including an optional area filled with hidden bosses and treasures, can take 2-3 hours to complete. At the end of this dungeon you have to fight five different bosses. If you lose to any of these bosses—which can happen pretty easily if you get hit by an unlucky critical strike or a series of bad rolls—you have to restart from the beginning.

When I played through Final Fantasy III for the first time, on DS, I lost to one of these final bosses and turned the game off forever. That’s the approach I’d recommend.

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-iii-re ... 1784147478

There were plenty of irritations leading up to the last dungeon, but this is just crap. I'm out.... delete!

Did any of you guys finish this dumb game?
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:56 pm Your image isn't working for me, but I assume that it has something to do with me saying that I'm getting a little burned out on sequels yet The Last of Us Part II is the game that interested me most at E3. It's not a sequel it's a continuation, there's a difference. :P

But seriously I do like sequels to games that I enjoyed, but it's getting a little harder for me to get excited about sequels to games that already have several entries in their franchises. Also, I admit that I would like to see more new IPs and less sequels in general.
I didn't think this E3 was super-amazing myself, but almost everything I saw that interested me *was* a new IP:

Ghost of Tsushima
Cyberpunk 2077 (if you would play Witcher 3, you'd probably be more excited about this one ;) )
Control
Daemon x Machina (I missed this one at first because I missed the beginning of Nintendo's presentation, but it looks amazing. Everyone here needs a Switch.)
Spider-Man (I consider this a new franchise just like the Arkham series was on the PS3)
We Happy Few
Twin Mirror
Death Stranding (I still don't know what it is, but it's DEFINITELY original)

And then there were sequels to games that we haven't seen in a long time & haven't been beaten to death yet, such as Beyond Good & Evil 2 and Rage 2.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

What he said. ^^^^^
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:00 amI didn't think this E3 was super-amazing myself, but almost everything I saw that interested me *was* a new IP:

Ghost of Tsushima
Cyberpunk 2077 (if you would play Witcher 3, you'd probably be more excited about this one ;) )
Control
Daemon x Machina (I missed this one at first because I missed the beginning of Nintendo's presentation, but it looks amazing. Everyone here needs a Switch.)
Spider-Man (I consider this a new franchise just like the Arkham series was on the PS3)
We Happy Few
Twin Mirror
Death Stranding (I still don't know what it is, but it's DEFINITELY original)
Of those I'm interested in Ghost of Tsushima, Cyberpunk 2077, Control, Spider-Man and Twin Mirror, but none of them have me super excited. First of all, it's no secret that I prefer playing as female protagonists in video games. I'm burned out on playing as generic male leads, yet there were barely any games announced at E3 with female leads. I think that Beyond Good and Evil 2, Control, The Last of Us Part II and Shadow of the Tomb Raider were it.

Ghost of Tsushima looks like a good samurai game, but yet another action focused experience where you do nothing but kill waves of enemies. Cyberpunk 2077 looks nothing like The Witcher, it looks more like Deus Ex since it's an FPS/RPG hybrid and of course you play as a male lead. Control surprisingly has a female lead, and looks like a cool third person action game similar to Psi-Ops which is a game that I really liked. Spider-Man looks like the Spider-Man game that Beenox wanted to make with The Amazing Spider-Man, but didn't have the budget, talent or time to do. It looks good, but I'm just not into superhero games now as much as I used to be. Twin Mirror looks like it could be cool, but of course you play as a male protagonist. Death Stranding looks weird, and I really have no idea what it is. It could be good, or it could be more art than game.
argyle wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:00 amthere were sequels to games that we haven't seen in a long time & haven't been beaten to death yet, such as Beyond Good & Evil 2 and Rage 2.
Yeah, and those are the ones that I'm more interested in although Rage 2 looks like another pure adrenaline fueled first person shooter with a bald space marine. I admit as I get older the less that pure quick reflex run and gun shooters appeal to me.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:00 pm Cyberpunk 2077 looks nothing like The Witcher, it looks more like Deus Ex since it's an FPS hybrid and of course you play as a male lead.
It's not a FPS, it's an RPG. And you create your own character, so they can be whatever you want.

Actually, even that psychopath Anita Sarkeesian released numbers that showed that 50% of the games shown at E3 let you choose a male or female lead.

....wait a minute. Are YOU Anita Sarkeesian??? That would explain SO much.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:12 pmIt's not a FPS, it's an RPG. And you create your own character, so they can be whatever you want.
I meant FPS/RPG hybrid which I corrected. I hope that it's more RPG than FPS, but everyone seems to want to streamline their games for the masses these days so we'll have to wait and see when more information about it surfaces. I didn't know that you created your own character and could choose their gender, that definitely makes me more excited about it than thinking that it was yet another game where you're forced to play as a character that you might not like.
argyle wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:12 pmeven that psychopath Anita Sarkeesian released numbers that showed that 50% of the games shown at E3 let you choose a male or female lead.
I wonder which games those are, because I'm not familiar with any games (other than Cyberpunk 2077) shown at E3 that let you choose your gender.
argyle wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:12 pm....wait a minute. Are YOU Anita Sarkeesian??? That would explain SO much.
Maybe. ;)