The Backlog Check-in Vol. 25: 6/24/18: The Crew 2 Edition

argyle

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 25: 6/24/18: The Crew 2 Edition

Post by argyle »

I downloaded the open beta of The Crew 2 this weekend & played just a little. It's fun, but something I'll be waiting on a price drop for.

Games added: Owlboy, Battle Chasers: Nightwar (both Switch)

Last week: Finished nothing, played Diablo III, Owlboy, probably dabbled with another couple things. Didn't really play a lot of anything tho.

This week: More Owlboy, and iunno what else.

Owlboy is awesome, a sprite-based Metroidvania that oozes charm.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 25: 6/24/18: The Crew 2 Edition

Post by canedaddy »

Owlboy looks cool. I've heard the name but didn't know anything about it.

Played this week: Final Fantasy III, God of War, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

Finished this week: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 38 (12 PS4, 11 Vita, 7 PS2, 5 3DS, 2 PS3)

I'm up to the final bonus boss in GoW. After many, many tries, I haven't gotten it lower than maybe 40 percent of the health bar. I'm almost to the point of dropping the difficulty, but I'm going to try a few different gear/tactical approaches first.

On the handheld side, after a very unpleasant visit to the giant pile of feces that is the last dungeon of FFIII, I moved on to the Bloodstained old-school bonus game, and it is awesome so far. It's quite possible that new old school games are a lot more to my liking than old old school games.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Tales of Zestiria

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Tales of Zestiria

Tales of Zestiria isn't really begging to be played since it's an average JRPG, and I realistically shouldn't be playing average games right now when I have so many AAA must-plays waiting to be played. I should save the average stuff for later after I've run out of the really good stuff, but that won't be anytime soon.
argyle wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:10 amOwlboy is awesome, a sprite-based Metroidvania that oozes charm.
Sounds good, I'm definitely going to buy it.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Pullled this from an old thread...
jfissel wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 2:26 pm
canedaddy wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:08 pmI'm going to try to be better than all of you young hotshots and not drop the difficulty down on my way to a platinum. Feel free to root against me and mock me when I fail, as I probably will. :)
Well, I wish you the best there. I'm guessing I could have beaten the tough optional boss on normal at some point, but it just became a decision about how long I wanted to spend on that fight.
Well, I gave it, I don't know, 50? 100? tries on normal, and only maybe two or three times got its health down to 25 percent or so. It's possible I could pull it off if I gave it another half-dozen hours, but I can't take seeing Kratos die and hearing Atreus cry out, "Don't leave me here alone!" any more.

So I dropped it down to "Give me a story"... and it still took me about 10 tries. :D But I finally killed that #$%@&. My first real platinum.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Congrats! Yeah, I was actually going to remind you of that post, lol. You put up much more of a fight than I did...50+ tries?

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Yakuza 6: The Song of Life

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 30 games
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Tales of Zestiria has picked up, and I'm enjoying it more now. It only took about 10 hours. :P I liked the story and characters from the start which are what kept me playing, but the graphics were bringing the experience down for me especially just after playing God of War. The dungeons were also making it less enjoyable since they were boring blocky corridor mazes. But the story has gotten more interesting, I met some new party members and I made it to an area where the graphics have improved as well as the dungeons. The story has been entertaining like an anime, the characters have charm, humor and distinct personalities, the pacing has been good and the challenge has been just right on normal so far even without me understanding half of the stuff that the endless barrage of tutorial messages tell me about.
canedaddy wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:47 pmWell, I gave it, I don't know, 50? 100? tries on normal, and only maybe two or three times got its health down to 25 percent or so. It's possible I could pull it off if I gave it another half-dozen hours, but I can't take seeing Kratos die and hearing Atreus cry out, "Don't leave me here alone!" any more.

So I dropped it down to "Give me a story"... and it still took me about 10 tries. :D But I finally killed that #$%@&. My first real platinum.
Wow cane, I would have Hulk raged only after a few attempts. I just don't have the patience for overly difficult stuff in games anymore, especially optional stuff.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:26 am
canedaddy wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:47 pmWell, I gave it, I don't know, 50? 100? tries on normal, and only maybe two or three times got its health down to 25 percent or so. It's possible I could pull it off if I gave it another half-dozen hours, but I can't take seeing Kratos die and hearing Atreus cry out, "Don't leave me here alone!" any more.

Wow cane, I would have Hulk raged only after a few attempts. I just don't have the patience for overly difficult stuff in games anymore, especially optional stuff.
Seriously - heck, when I got to the poison world in GoW and saw what they were asking me to do I was full of "nope". :P Congrats on the plat cane!
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:09 amSeriously - heck, when I got to the poison world in GoW and saw what they were asking me to do I was full of "nope". :P
:lol:

Have you played Tales of Zestiria? I'm somewhat enjoying it, but I'm not finding it as good as the previous Tales games that I've played. I've heard that Tales of Berseria is better, and I'm looking forward to playing it.

By the way, I'm sorry for being somewhat of a negative Nancy about E3 in the other thread. I haven't been feeling too good recently, so I've been a little grumpy. But I've been feeling a little better lately. The truth of the matter is that I'm REALLY looking forward to games like Beyond Good and Evil 2, Control, Cyberpunk 2077, Devil May Cry 5, Dying Light 2, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part II, Rage 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Spider-Man, Twin Mirror, Wolfenstein: Youngblood, etc. so it was a pretty good E3 IMO.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

No need to apologize. Sorry you've been down lately.
argyle wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:09 am Seriously - heck, when I got to the poison world in GoW and saw what they were asking me to do I was full of "nope". :P Congrats on the plat cane!
Ha, I had the same reaction. That area was a nightmare for me, and it doesn't help that I had a glitch where the needed items don't show up. But I bullheadedly forced my way through.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I've got Owlboy in my Steam backlog. I always thought it looked gorgeous. I hope to check it out one day.

Edit: Heja Sverige! We're on to the knockout stages after topping a group with Germany, Mexico and Korea! Fantastic!!!!

I'm on absolute World Cup overdose, but it's only once every 4 years (for the finals, anyway). Man, if Sweden make a run, I'll be in heaven! Whatever happens from here, it's been a great success though.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!