The Backlog Check-in Vol. 31: 8/4/18: We Happy Few Edition

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 31: 8/4/18: We Happy Few Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

I stayed up late playing Everybody's Golf because it's really fun. After playing through all of the Uncharted games I needed a change of pace, and that's exactly what it is. I'm also a big Hot Shots Golf fan, so it's nice to play another one again since it's been so long since I have.

I think that I was a little hard on Batman: Arkham Knight because I'm not really in the mood for it right now, while it does seem similar to the previous games I can also tell based on what I played of it that I will probably like it when I'm in the mood for it. I plan on giving it another chance in the future, and perhaps when I do I'll enjoy the tank combat more. But of course there's always a chance that I won't, and I will quit playing it again. :P
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:48 pm So I fired up... No Man's Sky. Not sure what to make of that one. First try I was on an ice planet... soon froze to death. :p I restarted and next time I was on a fire planet. This time I read up on what you need to do to survive. Got my ship fixed and moved on to a cool blue/rain planet. Harvested rocks/plants, jumped around, scanned a big turtle thing, built a shack....

I like the exploration concept a lot, though the fact the planets are littered with stuff from previous visitors/civilizations is a turnoff. I really thought it would make you feel like you're the first person landing there. Ah well. Not sure how long I'll stick with it... we'll see.
I think that's because they don't want you to get stranded on a planet. So there's always spaceports, research labs, and other buildings around.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I've been playing a lot of Everybody's Golf, I played it for most of the day yesterday and stayed up late playing it. It's just fun to play, and I like getting stuff for completing tournaments and beating other golfers. The character creation and customization is pretty good, and I often change my hairstyle and outfit especially when I get new clothes and stuff. The only drawback to being able to create and customize your own character is that they (along with all of the other characters) look a little basic almost like toy figures with painted on faces and the such. They don't look quite as good as the characters from the previous Hot Shots Golf games, and somewhat lack their over the top animations and personalities as well. That stuff is there, but to a somewhat lesser degree since all of the characters and their animations are created with character creation assets.

I like the two courses that I've played so far, and I just unlocked the third one but haven't played it yet. The first course was a little grounded in reality like a course that you would see in a more serious golf game like PGA Tour Golf, but the second one seemed a little more like the courses in the previous Hot Shots Golf games with a more exaggerated design that you wouldn't see in a real golf course. It was quite a bit harder than the first course, and I expect that they'll keep getting harder. The only reason that I'll quit playing is if the game gets too hard.
DiscipleGeek
Site Admin

Post by DiscipleGeek »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:48 pm
So I fired up... No Man's Sky. Not sure what to make of that one. First try I was on an ice planet... soon froze to death. :p I restarted and next time I was on a fire planet. This time I read up on what you need to do to survive. Got my ship fixed and moved on to a cool blue/rain planet. Harvested rocks/plants, jumped around, scanned a big turtle thing, built a shack....

I like the exploration concept a lot, though the fact the planets are littered with stuff from previous visitors/civilizations is a turnoff. I really thought it would make you feel like you're the first person landing there. Ah well. Not sure how long I'll stick with it... we'll see.
I've been a big NMS fan since day one, but this latest update has added so much. Maybe we can meet up sometime. This guy on reddit is starting a visual journal of his NMS adventures...

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

That's impressive.

I'll try to get online with you once I get my bearings.
jfissel wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:40 pm I think that's because they don't want you to get stranded on a planet. So there's always spaceports, research labs, and other buildings around.
I suppose that makes sense.

Phase, glad you're digging Everybody's Golf. Great game.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:46 pmPhase, glad you're digging Everybody's Golf. Great game.
Yeah, it's a fun time. I'm really enjoying the beach course. My only real complaint so far are the load times, they're some of the longest that I've experienced in a game. I'm also a little disappointed that there's only five courses, that's not a lot for a golf game. I would rather have less tournaments per course and have more courses, because it gets a little repetitive playing so many tournaments in one course.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I bought Siralim 2 on Vita after seeing it called "a mash-up of Pokemon and Disgaea, seen through the lens of a Western RPG" by Rock Paper Shotgun.

Liars!

There's no Disgaea at all from what I can tell. I was hoping for a grid-based SRPG a la FF Tactics, but instead the battles are just standard old-school turn-based RPG style, with a simple system that's not all that fun.

I was on the fence about whether to keep playing it... it has a decent amount of charm... and then the game crashed after I beat the second boss. I replayed it and it happened again. Decision made. :|
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I played a lot of Everybody's Golf today, I unlocked the fourth course and I'm close to unlocking the fifth one. The game has been addicting, I really like how I can constantly customize the look of my character by receiving new clothes and accessories after every tournament and the courses look good and are fun. But I'm starting to get in the mood to play something else since I've been dumping hours into it for days now.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I've had my fill of Everybody's Golf. I played it for five straight days pouring I don't know how many hours into it each day, and I made it to rank 6 today and it has gotten really difficult. I was getting a little burned out on it, so that in addition to it becoming really difficult has made me decide to stop playing it. I had a really good time with it up until this point, but now it's time to move onto something else.