The Backlog Check-in Vol. 35: 9/1/18: Dragon Quest XI & Spider-man Edition

argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 35: 9/1/18: Dragon Quest XI & Spider-man Edition

Post by argyle »

I've only gotten to play through the very beginning area of DQXI so far, but I'm already VERY impressed. Gorgeous game, and the characters are already grabbing my interest. Can't wait to really sink my teeth into this one!
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I look forward to more of your impressions. If I was in the mood for a big epic JRPG right now then I would get it, but I haven't been feeling too good lately so I've just been in the mood for shorter less involving games.

I played more Limbo and it's fun when I can figure out the puzzles and move on, but a lot of the puzzles require trial-and-error and looking up the solutions which I hate having to do. It turns into one trial-and-error puzzle after the other which I just don't really have the patience for. I like games to mix in environment and key item puzzles to figure out once in a while, but nothing but puzzles is kind of boring IMO.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

I played about 2-3 hours last night and it's definitely fantastic so far!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I finished Limbo, and can't say that I really enjoyed my time with it since I found a lot of the puzzles frustrating to figure out and the controls somewhat floaty and sloppy for the precision and timed based stuff. Also, it seemed like a mobile device game and was really short with a confusing ending. The whole game was confusing, I really have no idea what it was all about. I'm not a big fan of movies and games that leave the interpretation of them up to the viewer/player, I like to have things explained.

A lot of the puzzles in the game were clever and I enjoyed figuring them out, but there were also a lot that I had to look up the solutions for which I didn't like doing but they stumped me. The game would have been better if it mixed in a little adventure stuff instead of just being puzzle after puzzle every step of the way. I enjoyed a lot of the puzzles, but it would have been nice to do something other than solve puzzles the entire time.
jfissel wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:38 pmI played about 2-3 hours last night and it's definitely fantastic so far!
Played what?

:P
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:52 am The whole game was confusing, I really have no idea what it was all about. I'm not a big fan of movies and games that leave the interpretation of them up to the viewer/player, I like to have things explained.
But all of life (including games) is open to interpretation, personal valuation. Life and art always relies on the interpretive lens. The meaning is always your own. No one can explain what anything is about without you accepting their explanation in the first place. You are the judge phase. ;)

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I have no problem accepting other peoples interpretation of things, it saves me the trouble. :P

I'm playing Inside, and enjoying it. It's what I expected Limbo to be more like, an adventure platformer with puzzles not strictly a puzzle game. It also has really good graphics, and somewhat tight gameplay. The puzzles so far have been clever and logical, and I've been able to keep moving forward without being stuck on any of them for too long.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

That exchange amused me. :D

argyle, your new avatar is dope!
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:12 pm I have no problem accepting other peoples interpretation of things, it saves me the trouble. :P
Well alrighty then. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Played a few more hours of DQ today and got my first party member! As is the norm, I'm probably slightly over-leveled at this point but that's because I like to explore before heading to the next story event.