The Backlog Check-in Vol. 35: 9/1/18: Dragon Quest XI & Spider-man Edition

jfissel

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 35: 9/1/18: Dragon Quest XI & Spider-man Edition

Post by jfissel »

2 big releases this week...who's getting what right away? For me - DQ now, Spidey later.

Finished: Assassin's Creed: Syndicate (platinum)

Now Playing: Assassin's Creed: Syndicate Jack the Ripper DLC

Added to Backlog: Yakuza Kiwami 2

Current Backlog: 29 games
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 35: 9/1/18: Dragon Quest XI & Spider-man Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

I'm very interested in both those big releases. Ya know, one day I should play my first Dragon Quest game, huh?

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

The first new console DQ since the PS2 or the first HUGE profile Insomniac game since the PS3? That's seriously Sofie's choice. DQXI is pre-loaded on the 500mil, and I'm upgrading Tam to the Spidy PS4 on Friday.

Added to Backlog: Little Dragon's Cafe

Last week: Finished nothing, played Octopath Traveler, Little Nightmares, Little Dragon's Cafe

This week: DQXI, Spidy. :D
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I started playing Limbo, and I'm mildly enjoying it. It just seems like something that was made for mobile devices due to its simplistic graphics and gameplay, it doesn't really seem like a console game. I thought that it was going to have a bit more of an adventure feel to it, but it's primarily a puzzle game with some platforming. A lot of the puzzles are clever, but just solving one puzzle after another every step of the way with nothing else to do is kind of boring IMO.
jfissel wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:33 pm2 big releases this week...who's getting what right away? For me - DQ now, Spidey later.
I'm tempted to get Dragon Quest XI on day one since I'm a big fan of Dragon Quest VIII and it has been getting glowing reviews, but I have so many games already waiting to be played that I should probably wait and get it when it's a lot cheaper since I'm not sure that I want to commit to an 80+ hour JRPG right now. As for Spider-Man, I'm interested in it but it's definitely something that I can wait to get when it's a lot cheaper.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:15 pm I started playing Limbo, and I'm mildly enjoying it. It just seems like something that was made for mobile devices due to its simplistic graphics and gameplay, it doesn't really seem like a console game. I thought that it was going to have a bit more of an adventure feel to it, but it's primarily a puzzle game with some platforming. A lot of the puzzles are clever, but just solving one puzzle after another every step of the way with nothing else to do is kind of boring IMO.
If you started playing it I'm surprised you didn't finish it, it's only 2-3 hours long. But yeah, it's OK but I didn't find it as memorable as most people seemed to. Without the silhouette thing it probably wouldn't have registered at all IMO. Speaking of, this is pretty funny:

became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

isthatallyougot

argyle wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:30 am But yeah, it's OK but I didn't find it as memorable as most people seemed to. Without the silhouette thing it probably wouldn't have registered at all IMO.
Yeah, that's the camp I fell into as well. It wasn't a bad game, but nothing to get excited over imo. Just one of the many 3/5's pushing and shoving against each other.

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I liked it a lot. Not GOTY material but very good game.

Played last week: Stardew Valley, No Man's Sky

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 35 (13 PS4, 9 Vita, 6 3DS/2DS, 5 PS2)

Another busy week... didn't get in a whole lot of NMS.

I did, however, squeeze in plenty of Stardew, which I like a lot. So none of you people have played it??
argyle

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:34 pm I did, however, squeeze in plenty of Stardew, which I like a lot. So none of you people have played it??
I have it, but haven't played it yet (well, I played the first one or *maybe* two days, but I don't think that counts). I'm pretty sure DG put in a decent bit of time into the PC version tho.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:30 amIf you started playing it I'm surprised you didn't finish it, it's only 2-3 hours long. But yeah, it's OK but I didn't find it as memorable as most people seemed to. Without the silhouette thing it probably wouldn't have registered at all IMO.
It's not something that keeps me playing for very long, I've just been playing it a little here and there. I liked how it started where it was part event driven walking simulator, platformer and puzzle game, but further in it becomes pretty much a pure puzzle game with somewhat complex puzzles that slow down the flow, momentum and pace of the game IMO. It's a solid little indie game, however (based on what I've played of it) it's not quite deserving of the praise that it has received IMO. But the same can be said for a lot of indie games *cough* Blackwood Crossing *cough*.
canedaddy wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:34 pmI did, however, squeeze in plenty of Stardew, which I like a lot. So none of you people have played it??
I actually bought it the day that it came out and played a little of it, but quickly discovered that it's very time consuming so I decided to put it aside for a later time. It's a blatant rip-off of Harvest Moon, but I like Harvest Moon so that's ok. :P
isthatallyougot

canedaddy wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:34 pm I did, however, squeeze in plenty of Stardew, which I like a lot. So none of you people have played it??
I have it on Steam, and as much as I love Harvest Moon, I should have played it by now. Glad to hear you (and seemingly everyone) love it so much. I'm sure it's fantastic. I'm still impressed that this was churned out by one guy. That's a lot of dedication and obviously a true labor of love - another reason I'm sure it's amazing.