The Backlog Check-in Vol. 42: 10/20/18: Red Dead Redemption II Edition

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 42: 10/20/18: Red Dead Redemption II Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

So I spent a long time last night going through my collection of PS4 games picking out ones that I didn't really have an interest in playing so that I could trade them in to GameStop for Red Dead Redemption II since they always have the trade-in promotion where they give like an extra 20% credit per game when you put the credit toward the purchase of a newly released game. I picked out 19 games, and figured that would be enough to cover RDR2 and more. When I got to GameStop the employee told me that they only do that promotion with select games now, and of course none of my games qualified.

He told me that I would get roughly $70+ credit for my 19 games, and you can imagine how I reacted to that especially considering that there were some fairly new releases like Everybody's Golf, Far Cry 5, Injustice 2, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Watch Dogs 2, Wolfenstein II, etc. They were only giving $3 for some of those which would basically be the tax for their pre-owned prices for them. :| The majority of games that I was trading in would get me $3-$5 each, and two would get me $10+ each. I've complained about the low amount that GameStop gives for games in the past, but this was on a whole other level. Almost all of the games that I was trading in were popular titles that they still sell pre-owned for quite a lot despite them being a little older, and several were fairly new releases.

I wasn't about to trade in 19 games for essentially one game, so I politely declined their generous offer. :P I went to Walmart and bought RDR2 with the credit that I was saving for a game that I wanted on day one.
argyle wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:56 pmSo I know I'm the one who kinda said it to begin with, but I think I'm gonna be the one to bail on getting RDR2 day-1 (of those of us that had said we were). I just have too many games already started, and I've abandoned too many already this year.
If I had read this before buying it today then I might have passed on buying it today as well since (like I mentioned before) I'm pretty much done paying $60 for games on day one (or any other time) regardless of the game. Of course there's going to be games that I really want to play the day that they come out like RDR2, but I realistically should wait to get them when they're a lot cheaper since I already have hundreds of games waiting to be played.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

jfissel wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:16 pm
1 Dragon Warrior IV
2 Dragon Quest VIII
3 Dragon Quest XI

4 Dragon Warrior VII
5 Dragon Quest V
6 Dragon Quest IX
7 Dragon Warrior III
8 Dragon Quest VI

9 Dragon Warrior I
10 Dragon Warrior II

I think I'm ok with the rankings above and the gaps between sections are intentional...so it's currently in 3rd place. But honestly, my favorite DQ is the one I'm playing at the moment. :P There were definitely a lot of things to like about XI - the story, the characters, the maps, the overall feel. Just a great game and currently in the running for my GOTY (competing with God of War and most likely Red Dead Redemption II).
Wow, glad to hear you put it that high. I look forward to playing it in 2025 when I finish RDR2.

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:46 am btw cane, I just realized we're going to be enemies this weekend. :P How do you feel about this upcoming game? I'm not that confident. I think the Ravens D is going to really trouble the Panthers makeshift line that's been crushed by injuries. I'm hopeful, but not expecting a win. (And I think Harbaugh will out-scheme Rivera & co. sadly.) Then again, we're at home which usually helps.
Well that didn't go as you expected and I hoped. :cry:

Ravens are done. Offense can't do anything with the injuries on the O-line, and the much-ballyhooed defense looked old and slow against a lively Carolina offense... that 99-yard TD drive showed they have no fire or killer instinct. They can rack up sacks against crappy teams, but zero today... inexcusable.

The Canes' season has gone the same way. Very promising with indications the defense would be special, only to be exposed as mediocre the past couple of weeks.

Do I sound bitter? :P

Anyway, congrats to you. Your guys looked like a serious Super Bowl contender (not that anyone can beat the Rams...)
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:27 pm Well that didn't go as you expected and I hoped. :cry:

Ravens are done. Offense can't do anything with the injuries on the O-line, and the much-ballyhooed defense looked old and slow against a lively Carolina offense... that 99-yard TD drive showed they have no fire or killer instinct. They can rack up sacks against crappy teams, but zero today... inexcusable.

The Canes' season has gone the same way. Very promising with indications the defense would be special, only to be exposed as mediocre the past couple of weeks.

Do I sound bitter? :P

Anyway, congrats to you. Your guys looked like a serious Super Bowl contender (not that anyone can beat the Rams...)
Wow, I am very pleasantly surprised. I really thought with the Panthers O-line woes (haven't had either starting tackle all season, plus a variety of other injuries), the Ravens would probably feast. But we've done a pretty good job duct-taping the O-line and kept Cam pretty clean. Norv has been really creative and Cam has been accurate. Panthers are traditionally better as the season goes on under Rivera, so I hope that trend continues. If so, we'll be a team to be reckoned with.

Gaming-wise, I'm still absorbed by Yakuza 0. I've found myself playing more Rocket League than I had planned lately as well. I just never tire of that game.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!