Red Dead Redemption II impressions thread

argyle

Re: Red Dead Redemption II impressions thread

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:53 am Ha, no man. I work with some folks who got the game because it had great reviews, and they're so lost... too many systems for folks who just like two buttons, one for punch and one for jump.
OK....

:P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:53 amI work with some folks who got the game because it had great reviews, and they're so lost... too many systems for folks who just like two buttons, one for punch and one for jump.
There's too many systems for folks who like more buttons as well, they could have made the controls more intuitive than they are. But Rockstar is considered a Jack of all trades master of none developer for a reason. They put a lot of different gameplay elements into their games, but none of them are usually as good as they are in games that are more dedicated to those same gameplay mechanics. I've played a good amount of the game, and I'm still fumbling with the controls. Not as much as I did in the beginning of course, but more than I should be at this point.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I've put some good time into the game for the past few days, and I'm really enjoying the experience. I say experience because it's the story and characters that stand out more than the actual gameplay IMO. The gameplay consists of a lot of horseback riding long distances to get to mission start points, and in the missions themselves. The missions have mostly consisted of shootouts, chases, robberies, or a combination of those things. They've been a little standard for the genre, but the character interaction elevates them.

The game itself has a different vibe to it compared to the original Red Dead Redemption which is more of an ongoing adventure, this game is more of an outlaw sim where you live with your gang in camps and venture out doing things with them or for them.

The story and cast of characters are great, and living as an outlaw in a beautifully realized world is enjoyable. It's slow paced and a little different from other open world action adventure games since it offers a lot of realism, and is part sim. It's entertaining to play, but in a more laidback way. It's not constant excitement with scripted events and set pieces although some missions offer that, it's something that you get more absorbed into.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I did that mission where you get drunk and maaaan is that an accurate drunkenness simulation! :D (Aside from seeing the person's face everywhere. I guess I've never been THAT drunk.)
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

You're still early in the game, but I agree that mission is really funny and a fairly accurate representation of being drunk.

I'm glad that they mix in those types of missions to add a little variety to the usual shootouts, chases and robberies.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

I'm still even earlier in the game, although I've done a decent amount of exploring the map. Haven't had a whole lot of time to play, unfortunately.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Same. I did manage to unlock fishing, though!

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I finished it last night, and it has one of the best stories and cast of characters that I've experienced in any medium. It's also currently the best looking game that I've played, and is masterfully crafted throughout. However, the core game itself is a little lacking IMO. While there's horseback riding, robberies, stealth, side activities and mini-games, the main game is a shooter. Almost all of the missions despite sometimes mixing in chases, robberies and stealth are shootouts. And unfortunately the shooting isn't THAT great.

The game as a whole is a little dull and slow paced, it's something that I played more leisurely as opposed to really being addicted to or that I had a hard time putting the controller down while playing. It was almost more of an interactive story for me since it was the story and characters that I was primarily playing it for, the game itself plays a little clunky and heavy lacking varied gameplay mechanics. The fishing, hunting and mini-game side activities didn't interest me, but are admittedly nice additions for those who like them. I just focused on the missions (main/side/bounties/strangers), and those alone made for a massive game.

I found the overall experience to be a little repetitive since despite some different things to do here and there, the majority of my time in the game was spent horseback riding and shooting in forests, towns and wilderness. I felt that the game actually had too much content, because a game like this doesn't really lend itself to be stretched out for so long IMO. As with a lot of open world games, the side mission content was hit and miss. There was a lot that was good, but there was also a lot that could have been left out and wouldn't have been missed.

But despite all of my complaints, it was still one of the best gaming experiences that I had this year. While it wasn't quite as good as I was hoping for and isn't my GOTY, it was still a really good time throughout. Arthur Morgan is a likable character from the start, and becomes even more likeable as the game progresses. While the overall game has a serious tone to it, there's a lot of humor in it as well. There's some variety in what you do here and there, enough to have kept me invested until the end. And the game can be emotional at times, the storytelling is superb.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:00 pm The game as a whole is a little dull and slow paced,
That's part of what I really loved about the first Red Dead. The natural setting is well suited to a measured and deliberate pace. I get lost slowly exploring and moving through the beautiful setting, and it's a bit of a meditative experience for me.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:26 am
Phaseknox wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:00 pm The game as a whole is a little dull and slow paced,
That's part of what I really loved about the first Red Dead. The natural setting is well suited to a measured and deliberate pace. I get lost slowly exploring and moving through the beautiful setting, and it's a bit of a meditative experience for me.
That's how The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games are for me as I find them to be immersive experiences with a lot to be discovered from exploring, but Red Dead Redemption II is more of a third person (although it can be played in first person as well) action game for the most part and not an RPG like those games. I just don't get immersed into it the same way, and there's not much to discover off the beaten path.

The world is definitely gorgeous to look at and spend time in, but I don't feel compelled to leisurely roam around in it. Part of the reason is because the missions take you to every part of the map, and you pretty much physically travel to everywhere most of the time as fast travel is limited. You have to physically travel to fast travel locations (stagecoaches) which are only located in towns which there aren't that many of and are spread far apart throughout the world. By the end of the game I experienced the entire game world thoroughly as I spent countless hours trekking back and forth in it, and doing missions in it.

But based on what you said I have no doubt that you will enjoy leisurely exploring the world outside of traversal and missions, especially if you like fishing and hunting. As for me, I admit that I'm more of an ADD gamer these days that likes playing as agile badass characters (especially female ones ;) ) with lots of abilities skills with exciting stuff constantly happening while playing. Of course I like some downtime in games, but I don't want the entire experience to feel like downtime. I like a balance.