The Backlog Check-in Vol. 45: 11/11/18: Fallout 76 Edition

argyle

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 45: 11/11/18: Fallout 76 Edition

Post by argyle »

fallout-76.jpg
Games added: Tempest 4000, God Wars, Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi, Armello (4/$20 @ GS), Moonlighter

Last week: Finished Super Castlevania IV, played Tempest 4000, Neo Atlas 1469

This week: REALLY looking forward to both Fallout 76 & the Spyro Reignited trilogy, will probably start Moonlighter as well

I was fully prepared to pass on Fallout just based on what I had read / seen, but put down a couple of preorders to get Tam & I in the beta because...why not? Turns out we absolutely LOVED it. I can't speak to the solo experience, but being able to play a Fallout game with her was just an absolute blast. Can't wait for it to go live this week.

Neo Atlas 1469 is a very frustrating game. It has a really cool premise (if you're into Civilization-style strategy games) - you're establishing trade routes and discovering the world. Literally, you send fleets into the unknown and they return with reports of what they find. If you don't like what they tell you, you can reject the report and send them out again and they will return with something different. So you're shaping the map based on what you choose to accept. VERY interesting. Unfortunately, they dropped the ball on execution. First, this type of game really should have been turn based but it's not. Second, they NEVER shut up telling you things, to the point where it feels like you barely have time to actually play the game. It glitched out on me or something, I can see the HUD but everything else is black, so I think I'm done with it. Definitely don't feel like sitting through all that dialog again.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 45: 11/11/18: Fallout 76 Edition

Post by canedaddy »

I'll be interested to hear what you think of Fallout 76 as you get into it. I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what it is.

Played last week: Stardew Valley, Red Dead Redemption II

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 36 (14 PS4, 9 Vita, 6 3DS/2DS, 5 PS2)

Still loving, RDR2, of course.

I've hit a wall in Stardew, unfortunately. I'm trying to catch all the fish and one of them is just about impossible to snag. What is this great fighting beast, you ask?

The octopus.

:x

The meters for all the other fish are reasonable, but the wily 8-legged creature flies all over the place. Adding to the irritation is the fact that it's a rare fish and it's only available summer mornings, so you might get one hooked once or twice in a day of fishing.

I just read that there are certain foods you can eat that boost your fishing ability, so I'll give that a try.

I'm coming for you, bastard!

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Red Dead Redemption II

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 30 games

Get that octopus, cane!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Red Dead Redemption II

Playing: Red Dead Redemption II

I've been playing a lot of Red Dead Redemption II, and making good progress. I'm not loving it, but I'm enjoying my time with it. The game is mostly horseback riding, and shootouts. Most missions regardless of how they begin almost always turn into shootouts which is a bit redundant. I did a lot of the side missions early on not realizing that there's really not that many which is disappointing. As with most open world games there's a lot of side activities that are basically filler (collectibles, fishing, hunting, mini-games, etc.) that add nothing to core experience IMO. I'm really only interested in the main, side, stranger and bounty missions that have story elements to them.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

jfissel wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:29 pm Get that octopus, cane!
Got that SOB. It's not that hard if you eat the meal that boosts your fishing. Wish I had figured that out earlier!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Cane, I'm assuming you know this already but Yakuza Kiwami is on PS+ this month. I guess that message is also directed at everyone else who hasn't played it yet. 8-)
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

No, I did not know that! Time to add it to the backlog. Thanks for the word!
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

jfissel wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:14 pm Cane, I'm assuming you know this already but Yakuza Kiwami is on PS+ this month. I guess that message is also directed at everyone else who hasn't played it yet. 8-)
I wish I hadn't bought it when it came out, but I guess it's nice to have.

I'm still loving 0. I'm having a great time playing dress up with Yuki in the Hostess club. I'm a teenage girl! :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!