The Backlog Check-in Vol. 47: 11/24/18: Turkey Coma Edition

jfissel

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 47: 11/24/18: Turkey Coma Edition

Post by jfissel »

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving holiday!

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Red Dead Redemption II

Added to Backlog: Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom

Current Backlog: 31 games

NNKII arrived, more games on the way this week.
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 47: 11/24/18: Turkey Coma Edition

Post by argyle »

Games added: The Crew 2, Fire Pro Wrestling World, Shining Resonance Refrain - and 3 that are techincally Tam's - Bendy & the Ink Machine and The Mask of Deception & Truth

Last week: Finished nothing, played Fallout 76 & Yoku's Island Express

This week: More of both of those

Tam & I are still loving Fallout. Yoku's is a really fun mix between a metroidvania-style platformer and a pinball game, of all things. Also has a visual style reminiscent of the recent Rayman games. Super fun.

Most of my Black Friday loot is still inbound, not that I got a TON of games (not by my measure, anyway...).

We went out of town last week to celebrate our 10th anniversary. While we were there I picked up Mask of Deception for Tam used from a GS. On our drive back I opened it & discovered they had stuck Mask of Truth in the case as well (which is the sequel).
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Played last week: Stardew Valley, Red Dead Redemption II

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 36 (14 PS4, 9 Vita, 6 3DS/2DS, 5 PS2)

I might finally be done with Stardew by next week. One more fish to catch and a couple of other things to wrap up.

I'm around 40% in RDR2. So much fun stuff in that game. I find myself fishing (it's soooo gooood), hunting, playing blackjack or poker, more than following the story or anything.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I haven't touched Red Dead Redemption II in a couple of weeks because I haven't been in the mood to play a video game, but I was in the mood tonight however the momentum was lost so I was unable to get back into it. I'm going to play it again from the start another time when the mood strikes me, but for now I'm going to start something else that I'm more in the mood for.
argyle

Post by argyle »

I used some GS coupons I had & picked up We Happy Few today for $8 because I've been very interested in checking it out. I know it got mostly negative reviews, but I've been disagreeing a lot with the unwashed masses lately anyway. ;) I'm not very far in at all, but I like what I've played. I've always found the premise very interesting, and it appears to be a Bioshock-esque game with more adventure elements and less (or so far, no) shooting.

EDIT: This wasn't meant as a jab at RDR2, which I'm convinced is a good game that just isn't for me. I was thinking more of all the Fallout 76 haters.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:30 pmThis wasn't meant as a jab at RDR2, which I'm convinced is a good game that just isn't for me. I was thinking more of all the Fallout 76 haters.
I knew that you were referring to the hate that a lot of people have been giving Fallout 76, and as you know there's been a lot of games throughout the years that I really liked that a lot of other people hated so I know how you're feeling with Fallout 76.

As for Red Dead Redemption II, based on what I've played of it (which has been a pretty good chunk) I do feel that it's a little overrated by critics. From a technical standpoint it's a marvel, but from a gameplay perspective not so much. Outside of some side stuff, the game really does boil down to horseback riding and shootouts. The story and characters are what really drive it, not what you actually do in it which is unfortunate. I've only been mildly enjoying it while playing it, and after taking a long break from playing it I can't jump back into it so I'm going to shelf it for now and play it again from the start sometime in the future when I'm in the mood for it.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I decided to go ahead and keep playing Red Dead Redemption II since I'm pretty far in it so I might as well finish it. Overall I find it to be a little boring and repetitive since outside of the story and characters it's pretty much the same thing over and over again in terms of actual gameplay, and what you do in it.

The mission story arcs are somewhat varied, but what you do in the missions are usually the same - lots of horseback riding and shootouts. And there's lots of horseback riding in general, so that makes up a good chunk of the game. The cover shooting which makes up a good chunk of the game as well isn't that great, it's somewhat basic since you're using old west pistols, rifles and shotguns.

There's no denying that some cool stuff happens in the game, but it's definitely slow paced overall. A lot of the side mission stuff is brief and insignificant to where it just seems like it's there because open world games need side stuff to do instead really adding much to the experience.

I'm not finding the game to be all that exciting or really compelling me to play, but when playing it I do find it to be somewhat entertaining especially since it looks so good which makes me like spending time in its world.