The Backlog Check-in Vol. 48: 12/1/18: Katamari Damacy Reroll Edition

argyle

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 48: 12/1/18: Katamari Damacy Reroll Edition

Post by argyle »

Katamari Damacy is back! :D

Games added: Dragon Ball Fighterz, Hitman Definitive Ed., We Happy Few, Dissidia: Final Fantasy NT, Dynasty Warriors 9, Happy Birthdays, Wolfenstein 2, Sonic Mania

Last week: Finished nothing, played Fallout 76 mainly with a little WHF

This week: More Fallout definitely, and will probably go back into Monster Hunter a bit for the Winter Festival event that just started.

The world is nuts, Fallout 76 is a blast (assuming you have someone to play it with). Yeah, it has some stability issues that I'll be very happy to see fixed - patch incoming next week that will hopefully do that. But otherwise, it's a ton of fun.

Katamari Damacy Reroll is a remake of the original Katamari for the Switch. Very much looking forward to it, along with a couple of other small releases next week (Monster Boy and Toki).

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 48: 12/1/18: Katamari Damacy Reroll Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Red Dead Redemption II

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Red Dead Redemption II

I'm still playing Red Dead Redemption II, and somewhat enjoying my time with it. The story and characters are really good for the western genre, but the game itself plays somewhat clunky and heavy with the main play mechanics being horseback riding and shootouts. Everything is based on reality for the time period which seems to make things a little repetitive since there's really only so much that can be done when things need to be kept real and true to a specific time period without the liberty to include any fantasy elements.

There's no real sense of adventure, discovery, or wonder to it. It's just playing as an outlaw in a gang horseback riding, robbing and gun fighting in a realistic representation of old American towns, forests and wilderness. For some I'm sure that's enough to keep them compelled, but I admit that I like a little fantasy, horror, or sci-fi in most of the games that I play. I'm enjoying it enough to keep playing it until the end, but it's somewhat lacking fun factor IMO.
argyle wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:38 am
I want this.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Red Dead Redemption II (28.7%, no idea on hours, still in chapter 2)

Added to Backlog: Assassin's Creed: Origins, Detroit: Become Human, South Park: The Fractured but Whole

Current Backlog: 34 games

Added 3 games from Black Friday sales and I'm still cruising along in RDR II. Katamari Reroll should be fun for fans and new people alike.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:23 pmNow Playing: Red Dead Redemption II (28.7%, no idea on hours, still in chapter 2)
Why are you progressing so slowly? I'm almost at 50% in chapter 4 and I've been doing a lot of side stuff, and that's with not playing it for almost two weeks.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I'm still slowly working through Yakuza 0. It's definitely a fantastic game for me, but at 100 hours in, I think I'm ready to finish making my way through the story, and then maybe I'll play around in the world and side activities some more if I feel like it.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:34 am
jfissel wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:23 pmNow Playing: Red Dead Redemption II (28.7%, no idea on hours, still in chapter 2)
Why are you progressing so slowly? I'm almost at 50% in chapter 4 and I've been doing a lot of side stuff, and that's with not playing it for almost two weeks.
Been working a lot and had some other things pop up that took time away from gaming. But I'm off all of next week and then for 7 workdays from the 24th to Jan 1, so I will definitely be able to get some serious time in very soon.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Man, good to see the OG Katamari popping up again. One of the all-time greats and my favorite soundtrack.

Played last week: Stardew Valley, Red Dead Redemption II

Finished: Stardew

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 35 (14 PS4, 8 Vita, 6 3DS/2DS, 5 PS2)

I finished Stardew after 130 hours or so. :oops: It's an addictive little thing. very hard to shut it down. I did just about everything I could do in the game, including catching all the fish. Highly recommended.

I'm at 45% in RDR2. I spend most of my time fishing and huntiing (working my way through legendaries), gambling and working on challenges. I'll be playing for a long, long time.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I admit that I've probably been a little harder on Red Dead Redemption II than I should have been based primarily on not really being in the for it when I was playing it, because today I WAS in the mood for it and it really clicked with me and I had a great time with it. It helped that a lot of the missions that I did were more varied, and not just shootouts for a change.

There's no denying that it's an impressive well crafted game especially from a technical standpoint, the attention to detail and graphics still wow me every time that I play it. I still have some of the same complaints with the core game itself, but it's definitely packed with content and has been offering a little more variety to what I've been doing in it.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Finished up the story of Yakuza 0. My play-time was 109 hours, but I took things very slow and meandering-like, like I like to do. I think I'll still go back and finish the hostess club (already finished the business on Kiryu's side) and play around a bit more until I want to put it down for good. It was a great game and definitely makes me want to go play the entries I've missed. (I've only played 1 and 0, now.) But I couldn't play 2 of these back to back, so it will have to wait.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!