The Backlog Check-in Vol. 51: 12/22/18: Christmas Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 51: 12/22/18: Christmas Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

I started playing Red Dead Redemption, but wasn't able to really get into it. It felt strange playing it after Red Dead Redemption II not only because it looked a lot worse by comparison, but also because from a story and character perspective it's obvious that it came before RDR2 despite Rockstar's best efforts to try and sync the two games. John Marston and the other characters in both games have somewhat different personalities in each game (as well as there just being an overall different vibe to both games), and it was pulling me out of the experience.

As much as I enjoyed RDR2, I would have rather it been a sequel instead of a prequel because I admittedly wasn't all that interested in playing out the past events of John's gang. I also think that it would have allowed for more creative freedom since they wouldn't have been stuck trying to make everything tie into RDR so much. And to be honest, I've never really been a fan of prequels in any medium because it usually feels like they're making it up as they go along since they're trying to make up a past for an already established future. There's exceptions of course, I thought that Life is Strange: Before the Storm and Yakuza 0 we're good prequels for example. However, I usually prefer experiencing earlier events before later events instead of experiencing them after.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays
Last edited by Phaseknox on Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 51: 12/22/18: Christmas Edition

Post by canedaddy »

Merry Christmas, gentlemen! This has been a crazy busy month for me... sorry I haven't been around much.

Played last week: Red Dead Redemption II

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 35 (14 PS4, 8 Vita, 6 3DS/2DS, 5 PS2)

This probably won't change for months: I'm still playing RDR2 and still absolutely loving it. I'm focused on the side stuff, mostly the challenges and hunting/fishing, before moving on with the story. As early as I am (47%), I have no problem declaring it my GOTY and very likely No. 1 on my all time list.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:56 amThis has been a crazy busy month for me... sorry I haven't been around much.
I was actually starting to get a little concerned about your absence since it's not usually like you to be away for so long without saying that you're going on vacation, or something like that. I'm glad to find out that it's because you've been busy, and not something worse.
canedaddy wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:56 amI'm still playing RDR2 and still absolutely loving it. I'm focused on the side stuff, mostly the challenges and hunting/fishing, before moving on with the story. As early as I am (47%), I have no problem declaring it my GOTY and very likely No. 1 on my all time list.
I'm glad that it's as good if not perhaps even better than you were hoping that it was going to be. I also really liked it, but not quite as much as you since it's not my GOTY or the best game that I've ever played. But we're all different, and certain things appeal to us differently.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: Civilization VI (Switch), Let's Go Evee! (bought for Tam, but I imagine I'll play it at some point), Katamari Reroll

Last week: Finished up the last of the collectibles in Yoku's to get the "true" ending, played a lot of AC: Odyssey and a little Civ VI

This week: More of the same.

Civ VI is perfect on the Switch - glad I waited so long to play it now. They did a great job with the port so that the controls & menus feel made for it, and it's just a really perfect portable game.

AC is still amazing. I have almost 50 hours in it now, but I still doubt seriously that I'll finish it this year. Still, I feel like I have enough time into it to rank it so I'll probably write up my top 10 list sometime this week.

May also work up a new top 10 anticipated for 2019 list. There's a LOT of great-looking games on the way next year. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:55 amI'll probably write up my top 10 list sometime this week.
:D
argyle wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:55 amMay also work up a new top 10 anticipated for 2019 list.
Do it.
argyle

Post by argyle »

tenor.gif
tenor.gif (617.54 KiB) Viewed 9461 times
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I guess that I won't be able to buy any physical copies of Japanese developed PS4 games not released by Bandai Namco or Square Enix unless I'm prepared to pay a ridiculous amount of money for them, because if they're released by any other publisher they're going for $70+ for some reason. I guess that I'm going to be forced to buy them digitally which SUCKS!!!!
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:45 pm I guess that I won't be able to buy any physical copies of Japanese developed PS4 games not released by Bandai Namco or Square Enix unless I'm prepared to pay a ridiculous amount of money for them, because if they're released by any other publisher they're going for $70+ for some reason. I guess that I'm going to be forced to buy them digitally which SUCKS!!!!
What are you talking about? :?:

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:31 pmWhat are you talking about? :?:
I exaggerated because I'm upset to see some Japanese games that I really want going for $70+, but Japanese developed games published by companies other than Bandai Namco and Square Enix seem to be a little on the pricey side in general considering that the majority of them are $40+ including old ones. I was hoping to finally buy a lot of Japanese developed games that I've been wanting for a while now, but I'm not paying $40-$70 each for them.

Go to Amazon and check out the prices for games like Blue Reflection and Ys VIII for example, they're not pretty.
argyle

Post by argyle »

I guess I just haven't seen anything going for $70.