The Backlog Check-in Vol. 53: 1/5/19: Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 53: 1/5/19: Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Mass Effect: Andromeda

I've played over 30 hours of Mass Effect: Andromeda so far, and I'm only at 25% story completion. It's packed with side content, and that's mainly what I've been doing because there's so much of it. I admit that some of it feels a little like filler so I'm not doing everything, but a lot of it feels significant to the story and almost seems like main content.

My only real complaint with it so far are that the graphics are somewhat of a mixed bag. Sometimes it looks like a current gen game, and sometimes it looks like a last gen game. The art design is good, but sometimes it's lacking a little from a technical standpoint. However, the overall look of the game is still consistent for the most part and nothing looks bad.

Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition comes out next week:

jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 53: 1/5/19: Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Deciding

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 33 games

I think I'm done with RDR II. I did some extra stuff this past week and everything else requires a lot of time (completing challenges, fishing, hunting, 100% completion, platinum, etc) so I think I'm calling it quits. No idea what I'll play next but it might be something quicker and easier to start off 2019 on a good note.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I'm 46 hours into Mass Effect: Andromeda with 38% story completion, and a staggering amount of side content/missions to do. I haven't been this addicted to a game since Dragon Age: Inquisition which isn't too surprising since this is basically a sci-fi version of it.

It's the most content packed game that I've played yet, and I want to do most of it because it's actually interesting. Sure there's some filler, but I find myself doing some of it too just because I'm compelled to want to do just about everything that there is to do in the game. Reviews have said that it offers 100+ hours of content, and they weren't kidding.

When the game came out it was full of bugs, and the faces for the human characters were hilariously bad which is why it received so much hate. But the updates for it have fixed most of the bugs, and made the human faces look a lot better. There's a lot of videos posted on YouTube showcasing how much better that it is after the updates, and stating that it's definitely worth playing now.

The first game that I'm playing this year could end up being my GOTY.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Wow, sounds like you're having a blast with that game. I have not played any of the Mass Effect games, unfortunately.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:26 pmWow, sounds like you're having a blast with that game.
Yeah, it's the type of game that I really like these days. Big, open and content packed with a good story, cast of characters and fun gameplay. It's something that I can really sink my teeth into for hours at a time.
jfissel wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:26 pmI have not played any of the Mass Effect games, unfortunately.
The first two are a couple of my favorite games, but the third one didn't grab me as much because the whole thing is basically one big final battle which gave it a little too much straight forwardness and urgency.

It's a shame that you can't play the first game on PS3 since it's practically required to be able to enjoy the second and third games as they're continuations rather than sequels. However, you don't need to play the first three games to enjoy Andromeda since it has a whole new story and cast of characters.
argyle

Post by argyle »

All three of the ME games are on the PS3...
517vYW8E9kL._AC_SX215_.jpg
517vYW8E9kL._AC_SX215_.jpg (18.31 KiB) Viewed 7567 times
Games added: Nothing that I can think of...

Last week: Finished nothing, played AC Odyssey

This week: AC Odyssey

Every time I think I'm just going to focus on the main story in AC, I stumble across another side quest that is way too interesting to ignore. Massive game is massive.

Phase, I never could get into the original ME for whatever reason, but I may give the new one a shot at some point. I picked it up last year when BB had it for like $5 w/ the steelbook.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 amAll three of the ME games are on the PS3
That picture of the PS3 Mass Effect trilogy box jogged my memory. I remember that the second and third games were the only ones available for the PS3 at first, but then EA eventually released the trilogy for it.
argyle wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 amEvery time I think I'm just going to focus on the main story in AC, I stumble across another side quest that is way too interesting to ignore. Massive game is massive.
It sounds exactly like Mass Effect: Andromeda. There's never really a time when it's not handing out side missions. Just when I thought that I was finally getting most of the side stuff done, I went to a new planet that opened up a bunch more.
argyle wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 amPhase, I never could get into the original ME for whatever reason, but I may give the new one a shot at some point. I picked it up last year when BB had it for like $5 w/ the steelbook.
There's a chance that you will like it, because it's a lot different from the first three games.