The Backlog Check-in Vol. 55: 1/19/19: Resident Evil 2 Edition

argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 55: 1/19/19: Resident Evil 2 Edition

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:52 pm
argyle wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:43 pmMadelyn is a disappointment - basically it looks great, but it's poorly designed. I'll probably elaborate later.
So I shouldn't buy it?
I wouldn't recommend it. This review sums up everything that I found wrong with the game much better than I could. But basically, it feels like it was released too soon & the dev stretched himself too thin by trying to make 2 completely different game modes. Very disappointing.

As for what I'm going to play next, I'm getting to some Switch stuff I've been wanting to play - started Kirby last night, and it's fun but definitely on the easy side so far. And I'm waiting for my local GS to get in the flight stick for Ace Combat 7 so I can pickup that bundle. The bundle is a nice price (only $50 more for the stick) and the stick is compatible with other games I either have or have had an interest in. So I decided to bite, but since I was last minute about deciding to I'm having to wait for the stick. Should be in this week, probably today or tomorrow.

I enjoyed Wolfenstein a lot as well, and the second one has been sitting patiently on my shelf for a while now. That's another one I may pop in soon.

I have some other big games in my backlog, Ni no Kuni II especially is calling me, but I want some time with some of these smaller experiences before diving into something like that.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:48 pmWhat I didn't know is that you can play as either Jacob or Evie at any time. I thought that Jacob was the main character, and that there were some missions here and there where you played as his sister Evie. But you can choose to play as either of them whenever you want by a simple click of a button. Of course I'm playing as Evie, and to be honest I'm not sure that I would want to stick with the game if I had to play as Jacob since I'm getting burned out on playing as male characters in games.
I spoke too soon, because I discovered that different story missions have you playing as a specific character (more as Jacob than as Evie). So while I can free-roam and do side stuff entirely as Evie if I want, there's going to be a lot of main missions that I'm going to have to play as Jacob. I'm not too happy about this because Evie is my character of choice, but I'm going to have to play as Jacob instead of as her for a lot of the story content. While Jacob isn't a bad character, I still don't want to have to play as him for a lot of the story content since I much prefer playing as Evie. I already played one mandatory prologue mission with him, and I didn't like playing as him nearly as much as Evie. So having to play as him for a lot of the story missions isn't going to appeal to me as much since I would prefer playing them as Evie.
argyle wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:14 amI wouldn't recommend it. This review sums up everything that I found wrong with the game much better than I could. But basically, it feels like it was released too soon & the dev stretched himself too thin by trying to make 2 completely different game modes. Very disappointing.

That's a shame, because it looks really good. :(
argyle wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:14 amI enjoyed Wolfenstein a lot as well, and the second one has been sitting patiently on my shelf for a while now.
I plan on giving it another chance, but dedicated FPSs just don't really do it for me these days.
argyle wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:14 amI have some other big games in my backlog, Ni no Kuni II especially is calling me, but I want some time with some of these smaller experiences before diving into something like that.
My brother really liked Ni no Kuni II.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Yeah, there are missions that require one of the characters. Both of them have slightly different skills, too...which is kinda cool.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:29 pmYeah, there are missions that require one of the characters. Both of them have slightly different skills, too...which is kinda cool.
It appears to be designed for you to select which character is best suited for the objective at hand outside of the main missions, Jacob is a strong brawler character while Evie is more of the silent assassin. But I prefer playing as Evie because she's badass, looks good and has a sexy accent. :P But Jacob is a good character too, so I plan on sticking with the game even though I have to play some missions as him. A good chunk of the game is the free-roaming and side content which I can play entirely as Evie if I want. The game is just really fun to play, and definitely isn't the typical AC game although it includes a lot of the core elements of the series.

Where do you place Syndicate in the AC series?
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:51 pm Where do you place Syndicate in the AC series?
Somewhere in the middle probably. It's hard to make a giant list since there are so many AC games, but it's not better than II, Brotherhood, and Black Flag. Too early to call for Origins, so it's in the 4-6 range currently.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I played a lot of Syndicate today, and it's the third best AC game that I've played so far. I still like Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood more, but it's better than Black Flag IMO.

My biggest complaint with the game is the loading, the load times are ridiculously long. I can understand the initial load time for the game being long, but fast traveling loads for a long time and so does when you die. It's most frustrating when I die, because I'm already angry that I died so having to wait an extremely long time just to get back into the game again makes me even angrier.

The side stuff that you do gets repetitive as well since there's only a few different side things that you do, and they're repeated for each section of each borough. And the amount of collectibles everywhere is overdone as well.

But despite some of my complaints the game is really fun to play, especially as Evie since she's a badass assassin. She can be a cold and calculated killer, and she's lethal with a cane sword. She's one of my new favorite game characters. Jacob is a good character too, and I haven't minded playing as him during his missions.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I started up The Lost Legacy per your recommendation j, and it's been great so far. I'm glad you pushed me to do so. Nice revisiting Chloe. And man, those environments, whoa!

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

I had some extra credit so I decided to go ahead & pickup RE2 tomorrow. Been kinda wanting to play a good survival horror game anyway, and I never played the original RE2 (hated the tank controls in the early RE games).
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:24 pm I had some extra credit so I decided to go ahead & pickup RE2 tomorrow. Been kinda wanting to play a good survival horror game anyway, and I never played the original RE2 (hated the tank controls in the early RE games).
For some reason I was thinking that you weren't much into survival horror games argyle? Obviously I'm incorrect though.

The first time I saw a minute of the first video (that I saw anyway), I knew this game would be fantastic (for me at least), and I've been on total blackout ever since.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

isthatallyougot wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:29 pm
argyle wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:24 pm I had some extra credit so I decided to go ahead & pickup RE2 tomorrow. Been kinda wanting to play a good survival horror game anyway, and I never played the original RE2 (hated the tank controls in the early RE games).
For some reason I was thinking that you weren't much into survival horror games argyle? Obviously I'm incorrect though.

The first time I saw a minute of the first video (that I saw anyway), I knew this game would be fantastic (for me at least), and I've been on total blackout ever since.
Oh yeah, I love them - Dead Space 1&2 were two of my favorite games last gen. As long as it isn't one of those where you have absolutely no way of defending yourself & basically have to play hide & seek the whole time, I'm in. :) The only reason I didn't play much of the early RE games back in the day is because I hated the tank controls.