The Backlog Check-in Vol. 55: 1/19/19: Resident Evil 2 Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 55: 1/19/19: Resident Evil 2 Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Finished: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Playing: ?

I finished Mass Effect: Andromeda. I'm not sure what I'm playing next.

Resident Evil 2 (REmake 2) comes out next week:

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 55: 1/19/19: Resident Evil 2 Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

I'm really tempted to get RE2 remake at release, but I won't. I think it's going to be fantastic though.

I'm almost finished with Wolfenstein: The New Order, and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was one of the best FPSs I've played - certainly in a long while anyway.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:54 amI'm really tempted to get RE2 remake at release, but I won't. I think it's going to be fantastic though.
I really want it, but I can wait to get it when it's a lot cheaper.
isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:54 amI'm almost finished with Wolfenstein: The New Order, and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was one of the best FPSs I've played - certainly in a long while anyway.
I'll give it another chance when the mood strikes me. I really liked how it started, but when it became more open and stealth I didn't like it as much. I'm not really into FPSs in general these days unless they're adventure/RPG hybrids.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:46 pm I'll give it another chance when the mood strikes me. I really liked how it started, but when it became more open and stealth I didn't like it as much. I'm not really into FPSs in general these days unless they're adventure/RPG hybrids.
Yeah, it's certainly not my go-to genre either, but I like to get my pew-pew on every now and then.

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Assassin's Creed: Origins

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 33 games

Motoring along in Ass Creed due to some winter weather for a couple weekends in a row. I've probably put in about 27 hours and I'm close to 40% complete.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: Travis Strikes Again

Last week: Finised AC: Odyssey (main storyline), played Battle Princess Madelyn

This week: ???

AC was amazing, definitely stand behind my choice of GOTY. Took me 120 hours or so, and still have some things I want to do. I have 2 more cultists to hunt down, and then I'm going to put it down for a bit - but I'll be back later to do some more DLC & possibly finish off the plat since I'm pretty close.

Madelyn is a disappointment - basically it looks great, but it's poorly designed. I'll probably elaborate later.

Not sure what I'm going to play now, but something short that's for sure - can't dive into another huge game right now.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I decided that it's time for me to start playing the Assassin's Creed games again, so I started with Unity and I already quit playing. The story and characters are bland, the graphics are muddy/washed out, it performs poorly, the gameplay is finicky/touchy and the load times are atrocious. I actually played it for longer than I wanted to in hopes that it would get better... nope. The hate is justified for it, it's a crappy entry in the AC series. It seems low budget, and it's not fun. I'm going to start Syndicate tomorrow, I hope that it's better.
isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:09 pmYeah, it's certainly not my go-to genre either, but I like to get my pew-pew on every now and then.
I like to get my pew-pew on every now and then too, but I prefer to do it within games that give me more to do than just that. For example, Mass Effect: Andromeda offered great pew-pew action but so much more.
jfissel wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:19 pmMotoring along in Ass Creed due to some winter weather for a couple weekends in a row. I've probably put in about 27 hours and I'm close to 40% complete.
How would you rank it in the series so far?
argyle wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:43 pmTook me 120 hours or so, and still have some things I want to do.
:shock:
argyle wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:43 pmMadelyn is a disappointment - basically it looks great, but it's poorly designed. I'll probably elaborate later.
So I shouldn't buy it?
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:52 pm I like to get my pew-pew on every now and then too, but I prefer to do it within games that give me more to do than just that. For example, Mass Effect: Andromeda offered great pew-pew action but so much more.
Oh yeah, I'm with you. I generally prefer more depth, but sometimes a straightforward shooter satisfies me, if I'm in the right mood, and if it's well made.

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:52 pm
jfissel wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:19 pmMotoring along in Ass Creed due to some winter weather for a couple weekends in a row. I've probably put in about 27 hours and I'm close to 40% complete.
Probably somewhere in the middle. I like the setting and the added RPG-ish elements, but the side stuff can be samey (clear this enemy outpost, kill the main animal in the lair, find the treasure in this location) and I think the story is just ok so far.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I started playing Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, and WOW!!!! It's the natural evolution of the AC series, and based on what I've played of it so far it's the best entry since Brotherhood.

Unity seemed like an AC game that Ubisoft made last gen and shelved because it was mediocre, but then decided to release it early this gen just to have an AC game available for the new consoles. However, Syndicate is definitely a current gen AC game in every way and seems like something that they spent years developing. It looks and plays great with big production values, and it's packed with content. I really like the industrial revolution setting as it gives it a different vibe from every AC game before it, and the story and characters are really good.

What I didn't know is that you can play as either Jacob or Evie at any time. I thought that Jacob was the main character, and that there were some missions here and there where you played as his sister Evie. But you can choose to play as either of them whenever you want by a simple click of a button. Of course I'm playing as Evie, and to be honest I'm not sure that I would want to stick with the game if I had to play as Jacob since I'm getting burned out on playing as male characters in games.
argyle wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:43 pmNot sure what I'm going to play now, but something short that's for sure - can't dive into another huge game right now.
That's what I was thinking after playing Mass Effect: Andromeda, but Assassin's Creed: Syndicate has its hooks in me and it's another huge content-packed game.
jfissel wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:01 pm
Phaseknox wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:52 pm
Probably somewhere in the middle. I like the setting and the added RPG-ish elements, but the side stuff can be samey (clear this enemy outpost, kill the main animal in the lair, find the treasure in this location) and I think the story is just ok so far.
That's somewhat disappointing to hear. Where do you put Syndicate, because right now I'm finding it to be the best AC game that I've played in a long time.