The Backlog Check-in Vol. 56: 1/26/19: Kingdom Hearts 3 Edition

jfissel

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 56: 1/26/19: Kingdom Hearts 3 Edition

Post by jfissel »

I've never played a KH game, but I know a lot of people have been waiting forever for this "third" installment.

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Assassin's Creed: Origins

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 33 games

Didn't play a whole lot of Ass Creed last week, but I did buy a new TV! A Vizio P65-F1, 65" of 4k HDR goodness, which I really needed. I wish I had a PS4 Pro to really take advantage of the better resolution, but HDR alone is pretty nice looking. I'll wait to see on the BC of the PS5 before deciding on a Pro this year or next. Best Buy had an LG B8 OLED 65" for $2000 and that made me pause a little bit because those are gorgeous. But in the end a pretty good LED won out for the price.
Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 56: 1/26/19: Kingdom Hearts 3 Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

I'm still really enjoying Assassin's Creed: Syndicate. I've done most of the available side content other than the redundant activities/collectibles, and I only have one borough left to liberate so now I'm focusing more on the story missions. However, it just introduced a new and unexpected side story to do. I'm not going to say what it is to avoid spoilers, but it's really cool.

I've been having a lot of fun with the game because fighting is just as much (if not more) of an emphasis as stealth, and the fighting is brutal. The characters have a lot of lethal combo attacks with different weapons, and there's also knives, guns, bombs, etc. to use. There's also a dodge/parry, but being able to block and/or evade would have been nice since you're pretty much locked into combat once you start and can't get away too easily if you get overwhelmed by enemies. But in general it's nice to play an AC game where I spend more time on the ground than on rooftops for a change.

The game is good in so many ways (characters, graphics, music, voice acting, city design, fighting, leveling, etc.), but there are things that make it frustrating as well such as the running/parkour automatically sticking me to or having me leap to things while I'm just trying to run straight (this has been a problem with all prior AC games as well), the circle button being used for a lot of interaction - for example if I try to grab an enemy I might jump into a carriage instead if both are in the same proximity, the broken missions where the scripted events stop working and the long load times. I feel like I'm in the loading area almost as much as I'm in the actual game when factoring in fast-traveling, desynchronization and dying. These things are a constant issue while playing, and can make the game an infuriating experience at times. Thankfully everything else is so good that none of these things are a deal-breaker, but they do tarnish the overall experience a bit.

The somewhat repetitive design structure of the game is starting to be more prevalent now as well. I've spent a good amount of my time so far doing the side objectives required to liberate the boroughs so I could level up my characters, and unlock a lot of skills as it's almost mandatory to do so to make the later portions of the game more reasonable. As much as I've enjoyed doing the side objectives, doing the same ones over and over for each section of each borough does start to become a little tiresome. I've done some main and side missions along the way too, but I have a tendency to want to do the available side stuff in open world games before doing the main missions.

I'm at a point in the game now where my characters are almost completely leveled up, and most of their skills are unlocked so I'm going to start focusing more on the story missions. It's definitely one of the best AC games that I've played, and I think that it's a little underrated in the series.
jfissel wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:46 pmI've never played a KH game
:shock:
jfissel wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:46 pmDidn't play a whole lot of Ass Creed last week, but I did buy a new TV! A Vizio P65-F1, 65" of 4k HDR goodness, which I really needed.
You NEEDED a 65" 4K TV?

:P
Last edited by Phaseknox on Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:02 am, edited 6 times in total.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:36 pm
jfissel wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:46 pmDidn't play a whole lot of Ass Creed last week, but I did buy a new TV! A Vizio P65-F1, 65" of 4k HDR goodness, which I really needed.
You NEEDED a 65" 4K TV?

:P
Damn straight I did. I'll be moving to a new place in a couple of months and the ol' 42" plasma won't do when sitting 16 feet away. 8-)
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:52 pmI'll be moving to a new place in a couple of months and the ol' 42" plasma won't do when sitting 16 feet away. 8-)
Why are you moving into such a large place, did you get married and have a kid without telling us? :P Perhaps you should have waited to buy the TV after you moved into your new place since you're moving in just a couple of months, or was it on sale so you couldn't wait? Either way, you're going to be living in style. 8-)
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Congrats on livin' large j! Sounds like a sweet tv.

I am absolutely loving Uncharted TLL. The open area (level 4) is so fun. I hope they put more of that stuff in future games in the series.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:09 pm
jfissel wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:52 pmI'll be moving to a new place in a couple of months and the ol' 42" plasma won't do when sitting 16 feet away. 8-)
Why are you moving into such a large place, did you get married and have a kid without telling us? :P Perhaps you should have waited to buy the TV after you moved into your new place since you're moving in just a couple of months, or was it on sale so you couldn't wait? Either way, you're going to be living in style. 8-)
I wouldn't call it a large place by any means, it just has a long living room where the TV cannot be setup on a wall closer to the seating. I've been saving money for the past 5 years to be able to buy my first place, very exciting. The Super Bowl TV sales seemed pretty good last week, so I pounced. No harm if the prices stay low or go down since I can pricematch up to a couple of weeks after the purchase. And I get to enjoy the TV right now.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:23 pmI am absolutely loving Uncharted TLL.
It made my top 5 last year for a reason. ;)
jfissel wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:05 pmI've been saving money for the past 5 years to be able to buy my first place, very exciting.
I didn't know that you were buying your own place. Congrats!
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:09 am
isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:23 pmI am absolutely loving Uncharted TLL.
It made my top 5 last year for a reason. ;)

What's up with cane. He used to post regularly. Hopefully he's alright - maybe too old to push buttons. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:09 am
jfissel wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:05 pmI've been saving money for the past 5 years to be able to buy my first place, very exciting.
I didn't know that you were buying your own place. Congrats!
Well, I haven't posted anything about it. Just waiting for construction to finish!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Way to be, j!

Played last week: Red Dead Redemption II

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 35 (14 PS4, 8 Vita, 6 3DS/2DS, 5 PS2)

I'm in Chapter 4... 53% or so. Will I finish in 2019? Time will tell!