The Backlog Check-in Vol. 56: 1/26/19: Kingdom Hearts 3 Edition

argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 56: 1/26/19: Kingdom Hearts 3 Edition

Post by argyle »

Games added: Resident Evil 2, Ace Combat 7, The Adventure Pals

Last week: Finished nothing - finished WITH Rabi Ribi, Kirby Star Allies. Played Resident Evil 2, The Adventure Pals.

This week: RE2 & Adventure Pals

RE2 is amazing. I've been hooked on it. It's the perfect combination of modern presentation and classic gameplay - those weird statue locks, the unkillable monster, the typewriters...all the stuff that made PS1/2-era survival horror what it was & that you just don't see in games anymore. I think I'm probably getting close to the end of Leon's story, then I'm going to dive into Claire's.

Speaking of amazing, The Adventure Pals is definitely that. It's the polar opposite of RE2, just the brightest, happiest thing you can imagine. Great sense of humor, perfect platforming gameplay and an art style that is insanely good & really ties the entire game together. I can't say enough good about this one - buy it, play it, love it. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Glad you're not dead cane! ;)
argyle wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:37 am RE2 is amazing. I've been hooked on it. It's the perfect combination of modern presentation and classic gameplay - those weird statue locks, the unkillable monster, the typewriters...all the stuff that made PS1/2-era survival horror what it was & that you just don't see in games anymore. I think I'm probably getting close to the end of Leon's story, then I'm going to dive into Claire's.
I can't wait to play it myself. Glad it's living up to the hype for you as well.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Hey! Kingdom Hearts 3 showed up on my doorstep today. I'm actually playing it right now. Soooo...'sup?
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Hey! Kingdom Hearts 3 was on my doorstep today. So I took that as a sign. 'Sup?

Snazzy new looking board by the by!
argyle

Post by argyle »

crimson_tide wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:28 pm Hey! Kingdom Hearts 3 was on my doorstep today. So I took that as a sign. 'Sup?

Snazzy new looking board by the by!
Holy crap, it's crim!
giphy.gif
giphy.gif (609.58 KiB) Viewed 8946 times
How the heck have you been? What have you been up to? Was it something we said??? :D

I had something surreal happen when I was playing RE2 tonight. I picked up a VHS tape in the game and was kinda chuckling at the fact that they would put something like that in it. Then it hit me...RE2 originally released in '98, when VHS tapes were still the standard for video. Then I felt old.

Also, I'm thinking of kicking the difficulty down. The enemies have just become obnoxious. They respawn ALL the time, and it's a battle of attrition since you obviously have very little ammo. And my main complaint with the game is that you have no melee attack like a punch or a kick to get them off of you - if you have no ammo, you're taking a hit. Didn't realize that was something that was introduced in the series so much later.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I finished Assassin's Creed: Syndicate. I really enjoyed my time with it. It was consistently fun throughout. While I was concerned that the majority of the story missions were going to have you play as Jacob, that wasn't the case. There were about the same amount of story missions for both characters.

The majority of my time spent in the game was playing as Evie doing side missions, and liberating the city. In general I found her missions to be more interesting than Jacob's, but the story missions overall were hit and miss. There were some good ones, but a lot were underwhelming. I had the most fun in the game doing the side missions, and liberating the city.

The overall design structure of the game was somewhat repetitive, what I did in the early hours of the game was pretty much what I did for most of the game. And while the city was big and looked good, it was a bit same-y.

The story was average, but Jacob and Evie were really likable characters that helped elevate it. The final mission and ending were a somewhat satisfying conclusion to everything, but I definitely played the game more for the gameplay than for the story. The traversal, fighting and stealth were all fun to do, and I enjoyed unlocking all of the different outfits, weapons, skills and upgrades.

While the game was a complete and fairly satisfying experience with just the right amount of content and coming to its conclusion at the right time, it did feel a little rushed and slightly low budget compared to the best that the AC series has to offer. It didn't feel like a big budget AAA game, but it was still a quality game that I enjoyed playing.

I started playing Dying Light, and it seems pretty good so far. It's a mix of Dead Island, Far Cry and Mirror's Edge. It looks and plays good, but like I've mentioned before I'm not really into first person games that much these days and/or playing as generic male characters. But the game does seem like it's going to be pretty cool, so I'm going to stick with it for now.
argyle wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:37 amRE2 is amazing. I've been hooked on it. It's the perfect combination of modern presentation and classic gameplay - those weird statue locks, the unkillable monster, the typewriters...all the stuff that made PS1/2-era survival horror what it was & that you just don't see in games anymore.
I'm glad to hear that they stayed true to the original, and I look forward to getting it when it's cheaper.
argyle wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:25 pmHoly crap, it's crim!
I had the same reaction. :lol:
argyle wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:25 pmI picked up a VHS tape in the game and was kinda chuckling at the fact that they would put something like that in it. Then it hit me...RE2 originally released in '98, when VHS tapes were still the standard for video. Then I felt old.
On the topic of feeling old, I'm going to be 49 next week.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

crimson_tide wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:24 pm Hey! Kingdom Hearts 3 showed up on my doorstep today. I'm actually playing it right now. Soooo...'sup?

So, how ya been crim?! (I still haven't played TWEWY. :P)

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I quit playing Dying Light because I wasn't having fun. It's basically a parkour version of Dead Island, and it's frustratingly difficult right from the start since there's mobs of zombies everywhere and they take a ridiculous amount of hits to kill with the pipes and wrenches that you start with.

You're supposed to stay off the ground and find crafting materials around the city to build better weapons, but you have to go to the ground sometimes to enter buildings which the majority of them are locked so you have to pick the locks which takes a long time to find the sweet spot to unlock them and the lockpicks break easily so if you run out of them you have to search for materials to make more. It's sometimes hard to even find an entrance to some buildings with doors that are locked that you can't pick the locks, so you have to find another way into them which you don't have the luxury to do since any buildings associated with missions have tons of zombies surrounding them.

Speaking of missions, all of them seem to be fetch quests that just have you running back and forth through the city. Also, the gameplay can be clunky. You have to click the left stick in to run which is probably the most unintuitive way to run in a game like this where you need to run constantly, and pressing a shoulder button to jump also seems unintuitive.

Just doing fetch quests and running and jumping on rooftops to avoid combat isn't fun IMO. A bland story and generic characters make things even worse. The graphics are really good and the city is highly detailed, but the core game itself just isn't that good IMO. Perhaps I'll give it another chance in the future if the mood strikes me, but it wasn't really doing it for me now.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I started playing Assassin's Creed: Origins, and I really like it. It's the best looking and playing game in the series that I've played so far, and it's a big budget AAA game unlike the past few entries.

The story seems interesting, and Bayek is a good main protagonist. The game world is really big, and packed with things to do. I've been mainly doing side quests so far, and they've been pretty good. I really like the combat, and there's tons of skills to unlock.

While it feels like an Assassin's Creed game in many ways, it's not just the same exact AC formula in ancient Egypt. It's more like a big action adventure RPG with AC elements.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Hey, I just bought Syndicate. Have to go back and see what you thought, Phase.

And you guys did no wrong! I just got busy, no more computer when I moved in with my now wife. So posting from the phone was not so good on the old board. But now it seems to work better on this new system so I will check in more often. Hope all's well!

And KH3 has the greatest self aware joke I've seen in a while right at the start. And that combat...dang, that is some baller button mashing. Having a blast thus far, worth the wait!