The Backlog Check-in Vol. 57: 2/1/19: Phase is Old Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 57: 2/1/19: Phase is Old Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Assassin's Creed: Origins, Dying Light

Finished (playing): Assassin's Creed: Origins, Dying Light

Playing: Shadow of the Tomb Raider

I started playing Dying Light, and while it seems like a decent first person zombie apocalypse survival game with parkour - the story and characters weren't really doing it for me, it was frustratingly difficult from the start and most of the missions were fetch quests so I stopped playing. I think that it's something that I might like if I'm in the right mood, but that isn't now.

I decided to play Assassin's Creed: Origins since I've been wanting to play it for a while, and I'm really enjoying it. It's more similar to big sprawling open world action adventure games with RPG elements like Horizon Zero Dawn than it is to Assassin's Creed, but it still has a lot of AC elements. However, its gameplay and combat have been improved quite substantially compared to previous AC games.

The story, characters and quests (both main and side) are good, and I like Bayek for the most part although he comes across like an Egyptian Kratos at times. The game world is big, varied and impressive looking with lots to do in it. I really like the combat, and I also like the crafting, leveling and skill unlocking elements since they give an incentive to do the side stuff.

In other news, I'm going to be 49 this Tuesday.

Edit: My brother got me Shadow of the Tomb Raider for my birthday, so I stopped playing Assassin's Creed: Origins and started playing it.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 57: 2/1/19: Phase is Old Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Happy b-day phase. I'll be 50 this summer.

I'm still playing Uncharted TLL and totally loving it. Chloe and her adventures is what the Tomb Raider reboot ought to have been imo.

I also started Fran Bow and I'm really loving that as well. Excellent atmosphere and vibe. I think this will be a touching tale when all is said and done. The puzzles have not been inscrutable either, which is always a nice plus for the P&C genre.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:35 pmHappy b-day phase.
Thanks. :)
isthatallyougot wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:35 pmI'll be 50 this summer.
You're catching up to cane. :P
isthatallyougot wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:35 pmI'm still playing Uncharted TLL and totally loving it. Chloe and her adventures is what the Tomb Raider reboot ought to have been imo.
Yeah, it's like Tomb Raider with a partner. But as cool as it is, I still like the TR reboot more.
isthatallyougot wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:35 pmI also started Fran Bow and I'm really loving that as well. Excellent atmosphere and vibe. I think this will be a touching tale when all is said and done. The puzzles have not been inscrutable either, which is always a nice plus for the P&C genre.
I never heard of that, but I know that there's lots of point-and-click adventure games for PC that don't come to consoles.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:08 pm Yeah, it's like Tomb Raider with a partner. But as cool as it is, I still like the TR reboot more.

I never heard of that, but I know that there's lots of point-and-click adventure games for PC that don't come to consoles.
I didn't hate the TR reboot (haven't played Rise, but it's in my backlog), but it paled in comparison to the Core entries for me. Just no magic there at all, despite being mechanically more fluid.

And yes, there's definitely lots of niche stuff on PC. You ought to build you a budget rig. Tons of stuff worth playing the often doesn't make it to console imo.

Here's a Fran Bow trailer. I love the style and vibe.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:40 pmI didn't hate the TR reboot (haven't played Rise, but it's in my backlog), but it paled in comparison to the Core entries for me. Just no magic there at all, despite being mechanically more fluid.
It's a different game in a lot of ways compared to the originals, but it excels at the game that it is - a dark, gritty, violent and visceral action adventure platformer full of set pieces, scripted events and spectacle. Rise of the Tomb Raider is even better IMO including more adventure elements while still offering a lot of what made the first game so good.

My brother got me Shadow of the Tomb Raider for my birthday, and based on what I've played of it so far it's really good. It has some of the best graphics that I've seen in a game rivaling those of Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy, and an adventure feel. I haven't played too much of it yet, but what I have played has been impressive. I stopped playing Assassin's Creed: Origins to play it, because Tomb Raider is my favorite game franchise. Resident Evil is my second favorite.
isthatallyougot wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:40 pmthere's definitely lots of niche stuff on PC. You ought to build you a budget rig. Tons of stuff worth playing the often doesn't make it to console imo.
I would if I wasn't already buried in PS4 games to play.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: Nothing

Last week: Finished Resident Evil 2 (both campaigns), played Adventure Pals

This week: More Adventure Pals, and I broke down & ordered KH3 after coming across a really good deal.

RE2 was incredible. I did end up kicking down the difficulty, and that removed the frustration I was starting to experience. Combat is not the point of the game, not for me at least, and the enemies are too "bullet spongey" on normal IMO. I thought the story was excellent, and I enjoyed playing Claire even more than Leon not only because she had a better personality (read: she has a personality :P) but because her story was just more interesting to me. However both sides of the story really do combine well to create the full picture, and it wasn't a chore at all to play back through as Claire due to how different her playthrough was. An early game that will almost certainly have a spot on my top-10 of the year.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Assassin's Creed: Origins

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 33 games

I got a decent amount of play time in Ass Creed yesterday, but man there's still a lot of map to uncover. The story, however, seems to be closer to the end than the map. We'll see!
argyle

Post by argyle »

jfissel wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:17 am I got a decent amount of play time in Ass Creed yesterday, but man there's still a lot of map to uncover. The story, however, seems to be closer to the end than the map. We'll see!
I think I still had around half the map covered when I finished the story. It's huge, and I think Odyssey's map is even bigger!
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:08 pm You're catching up to cane. :P
Yessssss! Come to me, fellow quinquagenarians! :D

Happy birthday, Phase!

Cut and paste...

Played last week: Red Dead Redemption II

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 35 (14 PS4, 8 Vita, 6 3DS/2DS, 5 PS2)

Hope you enjoy Super Bowl Sunday -- GO RAMS!

I'm on vacation the next couple of weeks... going to Cali. Cannot wait. Probably won't be on till I get back, so see you later unless I die in an earthquake.
isthatallyougot

Glad you enjoyed RE2make so much argyle. I'm really looking forward to it whenever I get around to it.
canedaddy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:57 am Yessssss! Come to me, fellow quinquagenarians! :D
But I don't wanna be 50. Although I guess I can't make it to 100 if I don't reach 50 first. :P

I really don't care who wins this Super Bowl. I just hope it's an entertaining game. I'm just happy anusface and his bounty-gate crybabies got theirs. Whatever happens now, it's all good.