The Backlog Check-in Vol. 57: 2/1/19: Phase is Old Edition

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 57: 2/1/19: Phase is Old Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:06 amI broke down & ordered KH3 after coming across a really good deal.
My brother is loving it, so much in fact that he decided to pass on watching the Super Bowl with his friends so that he could spend the day playing it.
argyle wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:06 amRE2 was incredible. I did end up kicking down the difficulty, and that removed the frustration I was starting to experience. Combat is not the point of the game, not for me at least, and the enemies are too "bullet spongey" on normal IMO. I thought the story was excellent, and I enjoyed playing Claire even more than Leon not only because she had a better personality (read: she has a personality :P) but because her story was just more interesting to me.
Was easy too easy, or just more reasonable? I thought that you switched between playing as Leon and Claire throughout the game, but they both have different stories that you play separately? About how long are their stories each?
jfissel wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:17 amI got a decent amount of play time in Ass Creed yesterday, but man there's still a lot of map to uncover.
That's why I decided to stop playing it and start Shadow of the Tomb Raider, because the map in Origins is huge and said to be packed with 100+ hours of content. I'll play it again when I'm in the mood for game that large.
canedaddy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:57 amHappy birthday, Phase!
Thanks. :)
Last edited by Phaseknox on Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:29 pm Was easy too easy, or just more reasonable? I thought that you switched between playing as Leon and Claire throughout the game, but they both have different stories that you play separately? About how long are their stories each?
I feel like it made it reasonable. It was getting frustrating constantly having to fight or avoid the respawning zombies while trying to figure out puzzles before I dropped it. After they didn't take as many hits to take down so ammo wasn't as much of a concern, so I could take them out & focus on what I was trying to do. And Leon's story took me about 10 hours while Claire's about 6.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Not that I was expecting anything differently, but Shadow of the Tomb Raider ROCKS!!!! It offers a semi-open map that rewards you for exploring, and there's optional crypts and tombs that you can do that offer nice rewards for completing them.

While it includes a lot of the same elements from the two previous TR games, it has a somewhat different vibe as well since it's less combat heavy and linear especially compared to the first game. There's a big emphasis on adventuring and exploring off the beaten path if you so desire, but you can just stick to the story if you prefer a more steady pace.

From a gameplay perspective, it's solid. It has good shooting and stealth mechanics, and there's lots of climbing, platforming and puzzle solving. While it's not quite what I would consider a AAA blockbuster, it's still a really fun time offering a quality action adventure experience.
argyle wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:47 pmLeon's story took me about 10 hours while Claire's about 6.
It's a shame that Claire's story is substantially shorter than Leon's since hers is the one that I'm most interested in, but 16 hours to complete both stories is a good length. I definitely plan on getting it when I can get it for $40, or less.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:29 pm My brother is loving it, so much in fact that he decided to pass on watching the Super Bowl with his friends so that he could spend the day playing it.
Wow, he must really love it (or not be that big of a sports fan, I guess.) I played the first KH, but I found it pretty mediocre. I have the others (most of them) in my backlog, but I don't know why after being lukewarm on the original. Also Disney is like poison to me, so I don't even know why I bothered picking up several of them. I'm an idiot.
Phaseknox wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:29 pm That's why I decided to stop playing it and start Shadow of the Tomb Raider, because the map is huge and packed with content said to take 100+ hours to do. I'll play it again when I'm in the mood for game that large, but right now I want to play through some more directed, linear and shorter games.
Interested to hear your take on the game. I really love the franchise, but I've wanted to see more of a return to the roots of the franchise. I doubt that will happen, but I may still enjoy some of the new entries. I did enjoy reboot 1 for what it was, but found it ultimately very forgettable.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:14 am It's a shame that Claire's story is substantially shorter than Leon's since hers is the one that I'm most interested in, but 16 hours to complete both stories is a good length. I definitely plan on getting it when I can get it for $40, or less.
Well while her story is slightly shorter, most of that was due to the fact that I played her second. While some of the puzzles & items are moved around, and there are definitely completely different story beats for both characters, there is still a lot that's the same so that your second playthrough will be shorter no matter who you choose first.

That said, I personally recommend starting with Leon, just because there is an annoying aspect to his campaign that isn't in Claire's for nearly as long, and it's best to get it out of the way first IMO. Claire's story is the best too. Save the best for last. ;)
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:11 amWow, he must really love it (or not be that big of a sports fan, I guess.)
Both.
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:11 amI played the first KH, but I found it pretty mediocre.
I liked it, but not as much as a lot of other people.
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:11 amInterested to hear your take on the game. I really love the franchise, but I've wanted to see more of a return to the roots of the franchise. I doubt that will happen, but I may still enjoy some of the new entries. I did enjoy reboot 1 for what it was, but found it ultimately very forgettable.
I posted Shadow of the Tomb Raider impressions above your post. :P I reread what you quoted, and realized that it read a bit confusing so I edited it. I was talking about Assassin's Creed: Origins, not Shadow of the Tomb Raider. While Shadow of the Tomb Raider isn't a return to the roots of the franchise, it offers the most exploration and tomb raiding of the current games.
argyle wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:42 pmWell while her story is slightly shorter, most of that was due to the fact that I played her second. While some of the puzzles & items are moved around, and there are definitely completely different story beats for both characters, there is still a lot that's the same so that your second playthrough will be shorter no matter who you choose first.

That said, I personally recommend starting with Leon, just because there is an annoying aspect to his campaign that isn't in Claire's for nearly as long, and it's best to get it out of the way first IMO. Claire's story is the best too. Save the best for last. ;)
Good to know. If both Leon's and Claire's campaigns are so similar and there's an annoying aspect in Leon's, is there even a reason to play his?
argyle

Post by argyle »

You need to play both to get the full story, and to get the true ending. Leon's isn't bad, just not as good as Claire's IMO.

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:30 pm anusface and his bounty-gate crybabies
:lol:
argyle

Post by argyle »

Holy crap. I just watched the "story summary" at the beginning of KH3, and I'm definitely more confused now than I was to begin with!

The only thing that can POSSIBLY clear this mess up is an insane rant of a summary by Crim, but he has no keyboard with which to type this epic masterpiece! What will I do!?!? :shock: