The Backlog Check-in Vol. 59: 2/16/19: Anthem Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 59: 2/16/19: Anthem Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Dying Light, Primal, Red Faction

Finished (playing): Dying Light, Red Faction

Playing: Primal

I gave Dying Light a good chance because I liked everything about it except for its difficulty, but unfortunately its difficulty became too much for me since it felt more like hard than normal so I quit playing. It needed an easy setting to make it more reasonable IMO. There have been a lot of games that I would have quit playing if they didn't offer an easy setting, but thankfully they did so that I could enjoy them. Unfortunately that isn't the case with Dying Light.

I started playing Red Faction because I saw it in my digital games, and I was in the mood to play a classic that had a simpler design structure to it than most modern games that I've been playing lately. Unfortunately it doesn't hold up well, and has some of the worst PS2 graphics that I've seen. Of course I remember it looking a lot better than it does, but the reality is that it's an extremely blocky, low-res and undetailed game that looks so bad that I couldn't enjoy it despite the design and gameplay being decent.

I also saw Primal in my digital games, and decided to play it because it's one of my favorite PS2 games and it's a slow and methodically paced action adventure game which I'm in the mood for to take a break from the frantic pace of Dying Light. Since it's always been one of the better looking PS2 games, it holds up well. The story and characters are good, and it offers a big adventure with large environments and a nice mix of combat and puzzle solving. I'm not sure if I'll stick with it until the end, but it's hitting the spot right now.

Anthem comes out next week:

jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 59: 2/16/19: Anthem Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Assassin's Creed: Origins (story)

Now Playing: Assassin's Creed: Origins

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 32 games

I finished the story in Origins and now I'm cleaning up remaining side stuff & trophies before I dive into the DLC (which was on sale recently).
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:08 pm I also saw Primal in my digital games, and decided to play it because it's one of my favorite PS2 games and it's a slow and methodically paced action adventure game which I'm in the mood for to take a break from the frantic pace of Dying Light. Since it's always been one of the better looking PS2 games, it holds up well. The story and characters are good, and it offers a big adventure with large environments and a nice mix of combat and puzzle solving. I'm not sure if I'll stick with it until the end, but it's hitting the spot right now.
Primal was a disappointing game for me back in the day. I loved the presentation / graphics, but it just failed to engage me properly. I could revisit it at some point, and maybe I'd feel differently, but I remember really wanting to like it because of the atmosphere, but coming away unsatisfied in the end.

As for myself, I'm almost finished with Fran Bow. (I think.) Such a lovely and magical adventure. (Coming from Sweden, I'm not surprised.) I most definitely recommend it to anyone who has any affinity for point and clicks or just appreciates surreal and strange and wonderful adventures. I haven't needed to consult a guide for any puzzles yet (and don't think I will), but I've been perplexed on a couple of occasions, and had to chew on things for a bit.

I also started up Dark Souls III, and I'm - naturally - loving it so far. Feels like slipping on a comfortable pair of old shoes that still retain the memory of the contours of your feet.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:48 amI finished the story in Origins
Now that you've finished it, how do you rank it compared to the other Assassin's Creed games?
isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:55 amPrimal was a disappointing game for me back in the day. I loved the presentation / graphics, but it just failed to engage me properly. I could revisit it at some point, and maybe I'd feel differently, but I remember really wanting to like it because of the atmosphere, but coming away unsatisfied in the end.
While I always liked it, I remember being somewhat disappointed by its clunky combat and lack of platforming elements. Playing it now I still find the combat a bit problematic since it's designed for one-on-one encounters, but often has you facing multiple enemies. However, I don't really miss platforming since it's more of an adventure game by design than an action one.

You probably didn't like it because of the somewhat poor combat, and lack of interactive gameplay. Environment interaction is sparse (as is combat), and usually just requires you to push forward to climb up things and/or leap over gaps. You don't even need to press a button to initiate any of the actions, just push forward on the left analog stick. It doesn't seem as awkward to me now since game controls have become more automated over the years especially for adventure games, but back when it came out player input for almost all character interaction in games was the norm.

Unfortunately despite me perhaps enjoying it even more now than I did back when I originally played it for the reasons that I mentioned, I had to quit playing because I saved the game without knowing that my partner Scree had gotten stuck in the architecture. I only had one save, so I would have had to start the game over from the beginning which I didn't want to do.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:14 pm Unfortunately despite me perhaps enjoying it even more now than I did back when I originally played it for the reasons that I mentioned, I had to quit playing because I saved the game without knowing that my partner Scree had gotten stuck in the architecture. I only had one save, so I would have had to start the game over from the beginning which I didn't want to do.
Ahh, the joys of game-ending bugs. :P

Edit: And I think you're right about the reasons I didn't really love the experience - my memory feels jiggled. :P
Last edited by isthatallyougot on Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

isthatallyougot

dp

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I decided to play through some of my digital/indie games that are on the shorter side, and I started with Mother Russia Bleeds which is an ultraviolent side scrolling arcade style beat-em-up with Commodore 64 style pixel art graphics. It's a homage to classic beat-em-ups like Double Dragon, Final Fight and Streets of Rage, so if you like those then you'll probably like it as well.

I'm about halfway through it and it's definitely been fun, but I would have preferred the arcade quality 2D graphics of the games that it pays homage to instead of pixel art and a little level interaction such as climbing and platforming to add some variety. However, the pixel art graphics offer old school charm and it's a brutal brawler with fun combat and awesome music.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Mother Russia Bleeds got really hard to the point where I kept dying and couldn't progress any further, but you can't change its difficulty midgame so I'm done playing it for now and I'll play it again in the future on easy.

I started playing Detention, and I'm enjoying it. It's a 2.5D side scrolling adventure horror game with a similar style to Fatal Frame. It's creepy and scary Asian horror which I'm a fan of.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Late reply this week, I haven't been feeling well.

Games added: Several, see haul thread.

Last week: Finished Adventure Pals, played Far Cry New Dawn & a few others I can't remember.

This week: Played through The Liar Princess & The Blind Prince already, will play some more New Dawn when I feel better.

Adventure Pals is an amazing little game that anyone who enjoys platformers and has a heart should play. It's gorgeous, has a great sense of humor, super tight & fun gameplay, a fantastic soundtrack - it has it all. I got 100% completion in this one because I simply couldn't put it down. Very highly recommended.

I'm really enjoying New Dawn so far - I like it's bright & colorful take on the post-apocalyptic setting. Gameplay is Far Cry, but nothing wrong with that. I need to dig a little deeper to say anything substantial about it, but first I need to feel better. Also, Tam saw me playing & when I mentioned it was co-op, I had to get her a copy as well. So we'll be playing this one together.

I'll talk about Liar Princess later but for now, it's short but absolutely brilliant. I couldn't put it down.
isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:55 am As for myself, I'm almost finished with Fran Bow. (I think.) Such a lovely and magical adventure. (Coming from Sweden, I'm not surprised.)
I actually know what you mean - Yoku's Island Express, that I raved about last year, was a Swedish developed game. I want to say Unravel was as well. Must be something in the water over there. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

argyle wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:09 am I actually know what you mean - Yoku's Island Express, that I raved about last year, was a Swedish developed game. I want to say Unravel was as well. Must be something in the water over there. :)
Yes there must be. I think I've mentioned that I have roots there and lived there for a few years in the past, but I truly love Sweden. The people are thoughtful, intelligent, and warm (once you get to know them, which can sometimes be a bit difficult in the beginning since they're more reserved than many peoples).

I'm not one to be all "close your borders" (not trying to start political discussion necessarily), but I have felt bad for some of the struggles they've endured simply for being a caring nation and hospitable to those who sought asylum. They don't deserve that type of karma, but as the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished.

I've actually been chewing on the idea of moving back to Sweden once my duties as a parent to a minor are no longer in effect, as long as I'm comfortable with how things are in terms my child's well-being and my ability to still be a positive influence. Being unfettered from my ex, I'm free to roam, and I still miss Sweden.

And I did finally finish Fran Bow last night. It was a lovely game that will probably rank pretty highly on my year-end list.