The Backlog Check-in Vol. 59: 2/16/19: Anthem Edition

jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 59: 2/16/19: Anthem Edition

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:14 pm
jfissel wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:48 amI finished the story in Origins
Now that you've finished it, how do you rank it compared to the other Assassin's Creed games?
I'm putting it 4th behind II, Black Flag, and Brotherhood. I love the map, the story was good, and the RPG-lite stuff like the loot added some freshness to the gameplay.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I finished Detention, and I really enjoyed it. It's a 2D side scrolling point-and-click style psychological horror adventure game with a dark sad story, and interesting puzzles. It was a little on the short side, but long enough to tell the story that it wanted to tell.

I decided to play The Coma Recut which is another 2D side scrolling Asian horror adventure game, but it didn't hold my interest for very long. It starts off good like it's going to be an RPG with NPC interaction and stuff, but then it quickly becomes a one trick pony of evading one enemy while scouring a school for items. The graphics are cartoonish which takes away from the scare factor, and every part of the school looks exactly the same consisting of hallways and rooms. I found it boring, and repetitive.
argyle wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:09 amAdventure Pals is an amazing little game that anyone who enjoys platformers and has a heart should play. It's gorgeous, has a great sense of humor, super tight & fun gameplay, a fantastic soundtrack - it has it all.
This is another game added to my purchase list. Thanks for bringing these games to our attention, because I wouldn't even know that they existed if you didn't.
argyle wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:09 amI'm really enjoying New Dawn so far - I like it's bright & colorful take on the post-apocalyptic setting. Gameplay is Far Cry, but nothing wrong with that.
I'm getting a little burned out on Far Cry, the series needs a big change like Assassin's Creed got IMO. With that said, I'll still probably pick up New Dawn when I can get it for $20 or less.
jfissel wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:28 pm
Phaseknox wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:14 pm
jfissel wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:48 amI finished the story in Origins
Now that you've finished it, how do you rank it compared to the other Assassin's Creed games?
I'm putting it 4th behind II, Black Flag, and Brotherhood. I love the map, the story was good, and the RPG-lite stuff like the loot added some freshness to the gameplay.
You definitely liked Black Flag more than me, the big emphasis on naval combat and ship upgrading made it a lot less appealing to me since I play Assassin's Creed games to be an assassin not to travel the sea and engage in long drawn out ship battles. I know that both Origins and Odyssey have some ship stuff as well, but from what I understand it's not a big emphasis and is more for traversal. I hope so, because I don't want a repeat of Black Flag.

Based on what I played of Origins, I was finding it to possibly be the best in the series since they took the core AC concept and expanded it into more of a big scale open world action RPG. What puts AC2, Brotherhood and Black Flag above it for you?
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:26 am You definitely liked Black Flag more than me, the big emphasis on naval combat and ship upgrading made it a lot less appealing to me since I play Assassin's Creed games to be an assassin not to travel the sea and engage in long drawn out ship battles. I know that both Origins and Odyssey have some ship stuff as well, but from what I understand it's not a big emphasis and is more for traversal. I hope so, because I don't want a repeat of Black Flag.

Based on what I played of Origins, I was finding it to possibly be the best in the series since they took the core AC concept and expanded it into more of a big scale open world action RPG. What puts AC2, Brotherhood and Black Flag above it for you?
The ship stuff in Origins is twofold: you have smaller boats you take to sail across the water in the game (lakes, Med, Nile), but you also have a few missions where you engage in naval combat with a trireme.

I really liked Ezio as a character and the Italian Renaissance era was extremely fun to visit. Black Flag mixed it up during a time when the series was very same-y and the ship stuff along with the Caribbean setting was amazing.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:26 am You definitely liked Black Flag more than me, the big emphasis on naval combat and ship upgrading made it a lot less appealing to me since I play Assassin's Creed games to be an assassin not to travel the sea and engage in long drawn out ship battles. I know that both Origins and Odyssey have some ship stuff as well, but from what I understand it's not a big emphasis and is more for traversal. I hope so, because I don't want a repeat of Black Flag.

Me too, I think that's why Black Flag is one of the only AC games I started but never finished (Revelations being the other one). I was afraid Odyssey was going to have a big focus on the naval stuff just based on how it starts - you start on an island and when you leave it *appears* that the map is mostly water. That's misleading tho because it's more a case of the map just being ENORMOUS so the water area you're on isn't nearly as big of a part of the map as it first appears. And while there are some naval missions, the boat is mainly for traversal - and even then, once you've reached a location & gotten to a lookout point you can just fast travel there from then on.

BTW, for anyone who doesn't have it yet, Odyssey is going to be $20 at Gamestop starting Sat.

IMO, Odyssey is the best AC game, followed by Origins. I love the new direction they've taken with the series.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis