The Backlog Check-in Vol. 66: 4/6/19: Zanki Zero: Last Beginning Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 66: 4/6/19: Zanki Zero: Last Beginning Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

I played a few digital games such as Anima: Gate of Memories, Asdivine Hearts, Rainbow Moon, Revenant Saga and Rogue Galaxy, but none of them held my interest for very long. I'm going to keep trying different games until something finally clicks with me.

Zanki Zero: Last Beginning comes out next week:

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 66: 4/6/19: Zanki Zero: Last Beginning Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Never heard of that game phase. Supposed to be any good?

I'm still in the depths of Dark Souls III and apparently forever playing OOTP.

I think I'll incorporate a something lighter on the side to complement those heavy investments this week.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: South Park: The Fractured But Whole (story)

Now Playing: South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 31 games

Finished the South Park story, so now I just have a couple of things left to clean up for the platinum.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:02 amNever heard of that game phase. Supposed to be any good?
Not sure, it looks like a strange visual novel first person dungeon crawler hybrid. While it's something that I'm curious enough about to get when it's cheap, I'm boycotting it since it's another Japanese game that Sony had censored for the US release. If you haven't heard, Sony has been having US versions of Japanese PS4 games censored like crazy including Devil May Cry 5 which I'm also boycotting.

The same Japanese games that Sony is having censored in the US are not censored on the Switch, make sense of that. The concern is that Sony is going to start having all PS4 games censored, not just Japanese ones. If they do, I'm officially done with them. I despise censorship with a passion, and refuse to support it in any way, shape, or form.

Here's a video discussing the subject:

The ESRB exists for a reason.
jfissel wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:34 pmFinished: South Park: The Fractured But Whole
That was fast.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:48 pm I despise censorship with a passion...
I feel the same way. I am aware of Sony's issues with this, and I certainly can't stand it either. Although lately I buy everything on PC except for exclusives. We don't need a corporation or the government, or any other entity being a nanny to the population.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Played last week: Red Dead Redemption II, Mercenaries Saga 2

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 36 (14 PS4, 8 Vita, 7 3DS/2DS, 5 PS2)

Still rolling along in RDR2. I was hoping to get in a few hours today on my day off, but I have a bunch of errands that will eat up most of that. Sigh.

Mercenaries Saga 2 is pretty darn good if you're looking for a cheap SRPG.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:00 amI feel the same way. I am aware of Sony's issues with this, and I certainly can't stand it either. Although lately I buy everything on PC except for exclusives. We don't need a corporation or the government, or any other entity being a nanny to the population.
I agree. I've already been upset with game system manufacturers for not allowing AO rated games to be released for their systems, but at least I can somewhat understand why they choose not to even if I don't personally agree with it. However, taking it upon themselves to censor or remove content in multiplatform games specifically for their system(s) is going too far. The ESRB exists for a reason, they need to let them do their job and stay out of it.

The good news is that apparently there's been enough of an uproar by gamers over the Sony censorship of the US PS4 version of Devil May Cry 5 that it's no longer censored (via an update). I seriously don't know how Sony couldn't have expected this, do they not remember when Nintendo censored Mortal Kombat and Sega didn't? That was before the internet, and it caused an uproar that could be heard everywhere.

The success of the PS4 is due to the fact that Sony catered to gamers with it from the start, but now they go and do something that has proven to upset gamers more than just about anything else. I really hope that they learned their lesson from this debacle, and that they stop with the censorship.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:48 pm
jfissel wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:34 pmFinished: South Park: The Fractured But Whole
That was fast.
3 weeks, a total of 26-27 hours.

Got the platinum, btw...so now it's time to find something else to play!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:06 pm
Phaseknox wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:48 pm
That was fast.
3 weeks, a total of 26-27 hours.

Got the platinum, btw...so now it's time to find something else to play!
I thought that it was just last week that you said that you had started it, I guess that the weeks have been going by somewhat quickly. I'm still trying to find something to play myself, nothing has been holding my interest for very long.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I played Doom (2016) since I've been wanting to check it out, and it did nothing for me. It's basically a linear corridor/room based shooting gallery where you kill onslaughts of enemies over and over with no story or characterization whatsoever. The graphics are really good and it runs at a smooth 60fps, but the gameplay is a one trick pony that gets repetitive fast. There's a reason why the FPS genre has evolved over the years, because just running and gunning through linear levels and nothing else gets old pretty quickly - at least in my opinion.

I also started The Surge, and so far I'm finding it to be pretty good. It's basically a futuristic/sci-fi Dark Souls, but not quite as punishing (at least not so far). It's definitely challenging, but not frustratingly brutal. I'm enjoying it enough to stick with it for now, but based on reviews I also know that there's not a lot of variety to the environment throughout which might end up turning me off. We'll see.