The Backlog Check-in Vol. 66: 4/6/19: Zanki Zero: Last Beginning Edition

argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 66: 4/6/19: Zanki Zero: Last Beginning Edition

Post by argyle »

Doom 2016 was one of the best FPS I've played in a long time. Sometimes it's good to cut away all the "fluff" and just get back to the pure gameplay, and it definitely delivers. Can't wait for the new one later this year.

Games added: World of Final Fantasy, Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Every Buddy, Phoenix Wright Trilogy, GhoulBoy, Fallen Legion: Rise to Glory, Sine Mora EX (had a lot of stuff show up in the mail last week)

Last week: Finished nothing, played mostly Division 2 w/ some Yoshi's Woolly World

This week: More D2 and I'm going to start something new on the Switch. Not sure what just yet.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I was really enjoying The Surge, I was liking just about everything about it. You start off weak, but it has great leveling and progression so you start feeling pretty badass fairly quickly. It's challenging, but gives you the means to even the odds. It's like Dark Souls meets Dead Space, and I was really digging it for that reason. But then I made it to the first boss (a giant mech that can kill you in one or two hits), and I quit. It's extremely cheap, and even when leveled up your attacks pretty much do squat against it. I tried to beat it several times, and didn't even come close. I watched how to beat it on YouTube, and it's basically just running away from it and dash attacking it over and over slowly whittling down it's health. I tried again after knowing what to do, and I still got my ass handed to me. No thanks, I play games to have fun and that boss ruined any fun that I was having with the game up until that point.
argyle wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:17 pmDoom 2016 was one of the best FPS I've played in a long time. Sometimes it's good to cut away all the "fluff" and just get back to the pure gameplay, and it definitely delivers. Can't wait for the new one later this year.
It cut away the fluff too much for me, linear corridor/room based shooting gallery FPSs that offer nothing more than killing wave after wave of enemies for their entire duration are too antiquated for me. It's a well made game that looks and plays good and I understand its appeal, but it's just not for me.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:31 pm I also started The Surge, and so far I'm finding it to be pretty good. It's basically a futuristic/sci-fi Dark Souls, but not quite as punishing (at least not so far). It's definitely challenging, but not frustratingly brutal. I'm enjoying it enough to stick with it for now, but based on reviews I also know that there's not a lot of variety to the environment throughout which might end up turning me off. We'll see.
The Surge had been on my Steam wishlist for a while, but I wasn't curious enough to buy it yet. I'm happy it's free on PS+. I already downloaded it and will play it sooner rather than later. Hope it's good phase.

I typed that and then I read this, lol. Oh well.
Phaseknox wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:12 pm I was really enjoying The Surge, I was liking just about everything about it. You start off weak, but it has great leveling and progression so you start feeling pretty badass fairly quickly. It's challenging, but gives you the means to even the odds. It's like Dark Souls meets Dead Space, and I was really digging it for that reason. But then I made it to the first boss (a giant mech that can kill you in one or two hits), and I quit. It's extremely cheap, and even when leveled up your attacks pretty much do squat against it. I tried to beat it several times, and didn't even come close. I watched how to beat it on YouTube, and it's basically just running away from it and dash attacking it over and over slowly whittling down it's health. I tried again after knowing what to do, and I still got my ass handed to me. No thanks, I play games to have fun and that boss ruined any fun that I was having with the game up until that point.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I'm playing Toukiden 2 now, and somewhat enjoying it. It doesn't stand out as anything great as it's a somewhat mid-budget open world-ish Japanese fantasy action hack-and-slasher with RPG elements. It somewhat reminds me of Dragon's Dogma, but not nearly as good. The story and characters are serviceable for the gameplay which consists of primarily going out into the game world and killing Oni (demons) small, big and really big.

It has a lot of mechanics and systems that are a little hard to get a handle on, my memory isn't what it used to be so trying to learn and memorize a lot of stuff in games can be a bit much for me these days. However, the anime style, fast paced action and reasonable difficulty are keeping me interested in it for now. But it also seems like it could get repetitive in terms of its game world and what you do in it which could make me lose interest in it before finishing it since the story and characters aren't that strong (you play as a player created silent protagonist that feels more like an avatar than a character).