The Backlog Check-in Vol. 68: 4/20/19: Days Gone/Mortal Kombat 11 Edition

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 68: 4/20/19: Days Gone/Mortal Kombat 11 Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:50 am
isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:23 pm Switch to Linux my friend. (I know you won't do it, but I had to say it anyway.)
Brother, I wouldn't have the first idea how to do that. I'm very close to a caveman. :D
isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:23 pm Now that you're basically done with RDR2, how would you compare it to the first? I really love the original, and I've read no reviews of 2 since I know I'll play it at some point.
Well, in fairness I haven't finished up the story, and the story in the first, especially the end/epilogue, was GOAT, so that's tough to compare.

But aside from story, I can't think of any way RDR2 doesn't beat its predecessor. I don't think there's ever been a game world that's more alive and detailed, just breathtaking. There are so many crazy things that you run into roaming around... new stuff even now, after I've been playing since October. The missions, the characters, the weapons, the horses, I just love it all. But as always YMMV. :p
Oh, I'm certain I'll love it. I know one of the main complaints people had was the methodical pace, but for me, I know I'll melt right into that vibe like butter.

Thanks for the impressions.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:53 amI know one of the main complaints people had was the methodical pace, but for me, I know I'll melt right into that vibe like butter.
I thought that the pacing was alright considering that it's an open world game that you pretty much progress through at your own pace, my main problem with the game was the repetition of what you actually do in it. The story, characters and world are all really good, but the actual gameplay pretty much boils down to horseback riding and shooting. And the shooting is about as basic as it gets, so it's not all that exciting. Sure there's a lot of optional side activities that you can do, but I found most of it to be filler. I personally played the game more for the story and characters than anything else. The gameplay is serviceable, but isn't the highlight of the experience as far as I'm concerned.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:08 pm
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:53 amI know one of the main complaints people had was the methodical pace, but for me, I know I'll melt right into that vibe like butter.
but the actual gameplay pretty much boils down to horseback riding and shooting. And the shooting is about as basic as it gets
All this was true for the original too imo, but I adored that one. It was just such a phenomenal world and atmosphere. I could get lost just slowly trotting through the moonlit plains. For me, I'm kind of the reverse. The story was a nice bonus added onto the world. I still think the most fun I had in that game was searching for the hidden treasures with the subtle maps. It gave me an excuse to really imbibe the world at a slow, cowboy pace.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:35 amAll this was true for the original too imo, but I adored that one.
I did too over ten years ago, but the same gameplay is a little more archaic now.
isthatallyougot wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:35 amIt was just such a phenomenal world and atmosphere. I could get lost just slowly trotting through the moonlit plains. For me, I'm kind of the reverse. The story was a nice bonus added onto the world. I still think the most fun I had in that game was searching for the hidden treasures with the subtle maps. It gave me an excuse to really imbibe the world at a slow, cowboy pace.
I have no doubt that you will enjoy Red Dead Redemption II for all of the same reasons, but for me the first game was a little more solid from a gameplay perspective probably because it was a lot smaller in scale with a tighter focus and structure to it.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:36 pm
isthatallyougot wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:35 amAll this was true for the original too imo, but I adored that one.
I did too over ten years ago, but the same gameplay is a little more archaic now.
Well, it's more like 9. (You made me check, lol.) I can't believe that much time has passed. Holy poop. What have I done with my life?! :P

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:32 amWell, it's more like 9. (You made me check, lol.)
For some reason I thought that Red Dead Redemption came out in 2008, but it was actually 2010.
isthatallyougot wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:32 amI can't believe that much time has passed. Holy poop. What have I done with my life?! :P
You've been working on your extensive backlog. :P
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:24 pm You've been working on your extensive backlog. :P
More like mostly ignoring it, and playing other stuff. :P

I did start selling some of my stuff on ebay. Just tired of having it all around. I got like $250 for my used copy of Haunting Ground.

I looked up the values of some of my sealed stuff. If I sell it all (I might not), I'd get a nice chunk o change.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:24 pm
Phaseknox wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:24 pmYou've been working on your extensive backlog. :P
More like mostly ignoring it, and playing other stuff. :P
Isn't every game that you own that you haven't played yet part of your backlog?
isthatallyougot wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:24 pmI did start selling some of my stuff on ebay. Just tired of having it all around.
I've been watching game collector videos on YouTube and getting depressed about trading in my big PS2 and Xbox game collections several years back because I had a lot of what's considered rare now, but the reason why I did it is because I rarely go back and play the old stuff unless they're games that I REALLY like and I'm also a minimalist that doesn't like having tons of stuff around.

As much as I like my physical Xbox 360 and PS4 game collections, they're starting to feel like too much to have around. I'm going to continue to buy physical copies of PS4 games because I already started collecting them and I have a lot of them, but I'm considering going all digital next gen.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 3:09 pm Isn't every game that you own that you haven't played yet part of your backlog?
I meant I'm playing mostly digital content I own. Not usually getting into my physical backlog, for the most part.