The Backlog Check-in Vol. 68: 4/20/19: Days Gone/Mortal Kombat 11 Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 68: 4/20/19: Days Gone/Mortal Kombat 11 Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

I haven't been playing anything lately, I just haven't been in the mood. A lot of current gen games haven't really been pulling me in for some reason, I haven't played too much this gen that has really done it for me like a lot of games did last gen. So I decided to replay last gen games again starting with Golden Axe: Beast Rider because I was in the mood for it. It holds up well with good graphics running at 60fps, and a solid combat system. It's a linear hack-and-slash game for the most part, but it has some openness to it as well. I really enjoyed it when I originally played it, and feel that it's an overlooked and underrated last gen game. While I was enjoying it again, I want to play current gen games that I haven't played yet since I have so many. I'm bound to find one that really clicks with me.

Days Gone and Mortal Kombat 11 come out next week:

Image Image
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 68: 4/20/19: Days Gone/Mortal Kombat 11 Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Still playing Dark Souls 3 - just recently made some really nice progress.

And I started up Walking Dead Season 2 on the side.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: LEGO Jurassic World

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 31 games

I'm on the 4th and last movie in LEGO Jurassic World, having fun collecting studs and playing with dinos.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: I don't know, stop interrogating me man!

Last week: Finished (with, for now) Division 2, played Detroit and a little Chocobo and Teslagrad

This week: Definitely more Detroit, MK11 and I'm thinking of jumping back into one of my RPGs that I abandoned - probably either Witcher 3 or Ni no Kuni 2.

So I put a LOT of time into D2. I mean, a LOT. I started focussing more on the story because I was about ready to wrap it up when I hit a late-game mission that basically feels impossible unless you have someone else playing with you. It's 3 long, nasty waves of enemies that come at you from all sides with no checkpoints in between. Just wasn't fun, and my co-worker friend that's playing isn't that far into the story yet. So I traded it in for now to finish paying off my MK11. I'll probably pick it back up on the cheap later, and maybe by then my friend will be where he can help me finish that mission.

I have to say something I didn't think I'd ever say. Detroit - a David Cage game - is amazing. I know, I'm as shocked as you guys are. I guess it really makes a difference when you hire actual actors instead of just pulling people in off the street. The story is way more interesting than anything he's done before as well. So if you're like me and you've had a deep-seated hatred for all things D.C. (izzy....), then give this one a shot. I will most likely wrap it up this week, I doubt it's long, but also because it's so good it's hard to put down.

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that this is also End Game week.
EndGameShort.gif
EndGameShort.gif (1.59 MiB) Viewed 10225 times
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

argyle wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:40 pm The story is way more interesting than anything he's done before as well. So if you're like me and you've had a deep-seated hatred for all things D.C. (izzy....), then give this one a shot.
I appreciate the recommendation, but I'm not sure I have it in me to go through another Cage game. Never say never, as they say, though. Glad you enjoyed it!

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:40 pmSo I put a LOT of time into D2. I mean, a LOT. I started focussing more on the story because I was about ready to wrap it up when I hit a late-game mission that basically feels impossible unless you have someone else playing with you.
So it can be played single player offline, or do you have to be online to play it?
argyle wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:40 pmI have to say something I didn't think I'd ever say. Detroit - a David Cage game - is amazing. I know, I'm as shocked as you guys are.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

I have Detroit: Become Human in my list of next games to play, so hopefully I can check it out in the next couple of months.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:40 pm I have to say something I didn't think I'd ever say. Detroit - a David Cage game - is amazing. I know, I'm as shocked as you guys are.

Guess I need to check it out!

Played last week: Red Dead Redemption II, Mario Golf

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 36 (14 PS4, 8 Vita, 7 3DS/2DS, 5 PS2)

I had some VERY FRUSTRATING computer issues recently... couldn't get Chrome to work no matter what I did (restore, uninstall, scream). Stayed off the PC for a while and finally gave up and just switched to Firefox so I could get back into the internets.

Sooo, hope everyone is well!

I've reached the "round up the collectibles before finishing the story" part of RDR2. Currently grabbing cigarette cards and killing any animals I see along the way that could make a nice garment. :p

On the portable side, I picked up the old Mario Golf to play on 3DS. From what I can tell, it's just an early version of Hot Shots (by the same folks, I believe). Almost zero Mario in there. But I'm probably missing something.
isthatallyougot

canedaddy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:26 pm I had some VERY FRUSTRATING computer issues recently... couldn't get Chrome to work no matter what I did (restore, uninstall, scream). Stayed off the PC for a while and finally gave up and just switched to Firefox so I could get back into the internets.
Switch to Linux my friend. (I know you won't do it, but I had to say it anyway.)

Now that you're basically done with RDR2, how would you compare it to the first? I really love the original, and I've read no reviews of 2 since I know I'll play it at some point.

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:23 pm Switch to Linux my friend. (I know you won't do it, but I had to say it anyway.)
Brother, I wouldn't have the first idea how to do that. I'm very close to a caveman. :D
isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:23 pm Now that you're basically done with RDR2, how would you compare it to the first? I really love the original, and I've read no reviews of 2 since I know I'll play it at some point.
Well, in fairness I haven't finished up the story, and the story in the first, especially the end/epilogue, was GOAT, so that's tough to compare.

But aside from story, I can't think of any way RDR2 doesn't beat its predecessor. I don't think there's ever been a game world that's more alive and detailed, just breathtaking. There are so many crazy things that you run into roaming around... new stuff even now, after I've been playing since October. The missions, the characters, the weapons, the horses, I just love it all. But as always YMMV. :p