Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 69: 4/27/19: Fade to Silence Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

I still haven't been playing anything.

Fade to Silence comes out next week:

jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 69: 4/27/19: Fade to Silence Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: LEGO Jurassic World (platinum)

Now Playing: InFAMOUS: Second Son

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 30 games

Completed LEGO Jurassic World and decided to move into a series I really enjoyed on the PS3, InFAMOUS. I have Second Son and First Light ready to go, so we'll see how they stack up to the other 2 games.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Played more DS3.

Finished Walking Dead Season 2.

Started up SOMA.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Hope you enjoy inFamous SS and FL, j! Good stuff.

Phase, have you played Witcher 3 yet?

Played last week: Red Dead Redemption II, Mario Golf

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 36 (14 PS4, 8 Vita, 7 3DS/2DS, 5 PS2)
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I started playing Tales of Berseria, and I'm really enjoying it. It's the best Tales game that I've played since Tales of Vesperia, and the best JRPG that I've played so far this gen. It's definitely a lot better than Tales of Zestiria which looked like a Wii game, and that I only found mildly entertaining. Berseria has great cel-shaded style graphics, a dark story, a diverse cast of characters, great music/voice acting and a visceral real-time combat system. The game plays out like an interactive anime which I like since I'm a big fan of anime. The main character (Velvet Crowe) could be my favorite main protagonist in a Tales game yet.
jfissel wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:49 pmCompleted LEGO Jurassic World and decided to move into a series I really enjoyed on the PS3, InFAMOUS. I have Second Son and First Light ready to go, so we'll see how they stack up to the other 2 games.
I would suggest playing First Light before Second Son since it's the prequel.
isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:18 pmFinished Walking Dead Season 2.
How does it compare to season 1?
canedaddy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:54 amPhase, have you played Witcher 3 yet?
No, because it's a 100+ hour RPG that I'm waiting to play after I've played through a lot of my other less time consuming games first.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:48 pm How does it compare to season 1?
For me it was about the same. I wasn't a huge fan of the first, but it was interesting enough that it was worth a playthrough. The second had some decent drama at times and I enjoy Clementine as a character. More of the same, so whatever that means to you is what it is imo.

argyle

Post by argyle »

I've waited too late to do a proper update this week, but I ended up getting Days Gone this week thanks to a nice discount. I went in not really knowing a lot and not really expecting a lot...all I knew really were the broad strokes (open world, fast zombies, motorcycles) and that it had apparently been getting mixed reviews.

Tho I have no idea why.

The game is fantastic so far. It is a zombie game, but it definitely has its own vibe. A Last of Us knock-off this ain't. Lots of things contribute to that - the fact that the zombies are very fast and aggressive, yes, but also that other humans are often just as big of a threat. It really nails the "society has fallen apart and it's every man for himself" vibe. Not that there aren't other "friendly" NPCs, but they all feel like they have their best interests at heart first & foremost. The motorcycle riding is a huge part of the game and is a lot of fun - the bike just feels right, and there's a distinct difference when it starts raining heavily and the mostly-dirt trails turn to mud. There is some maintenance to be done on the bike from time to time, as well as fuel management - but none of that is done to the extent where it feels punishing or like a chore. It's just enough to add a nice touch to the game, to give you the reminder in the back of your mind that you need to be mindful of where you're going & how you're getting there. There is fast travel that you unlock, but I haven't had the desire to use it at all so far - it's just way too much fun to ride, and you usually end up coming across something interesting on the way to your destination.

Other things flesh out the experience such as a nice 3-tier skill tree that lets you focus on how you want to play, the ability to upgrade your bike, missions to complete that not only grant xp & money but also earn you "trust" with the local survivor encampment. When you kill zombies you also collect "ears" from them that you can turn in at camp which also grant you trust. And you can collect various plants & herbs that you can sell to them as well.

The game looks good, tho if you compare it to the other recent Sony first-party blockbusters (God of War, Spidy, Horizon) it definitely isn't in the same league. This is mainly seen during close-ups of talking characters. Not that this matters in the least IMO, just something I noticed. I do really dig the Pacific Northwest vibe - the environment is heavily forested and just has a great wilderness feel to it.

I've talked to others who have played as much or more than I have, and they're all loving it as well. I haven't actually watched or read any reviews, but I honestly can't imagine what the complaints are other than the people who are inevitably whining that "it's not like The Last of Us." Which are probably the same people who have been calling it a TLoU rip-off. :P At any rate, I definitely recommend it. It's another stellar first-party title that makes me question why any sane person would ponder the XBone over the PS4.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif (3.14 MiB) Viewed 9023 times
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Days Gone looks fun to me. Of course, I won't know until I play it.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I've always been interested in Days Gone since post apocalyptic/zombie apocalypse games are some of my favorites. I watched a few video reviews of it the day that they were posted, and they convinced me that the game was for me. I'm definitely getting it when it's $40, or less.

I've played ten hours of Tales of Berseria so far, and while I'm still enjoying it I'm not enjoying it quite as much as I was in the beginning. The beginning area looks really good, and the stuff that happens in the first few hours is great. But unfortunately after that it goes downhill a little. It becomes another somewhat typical ragtag group of misfit adventurers going through the usual motions of visiting towns and dungeon crawling. Part of the problem is that after the first area the visuals become rather bland, dull and sterile looking, and the dungeons consist of boring uninspired corridors and mazes. The story, characters and combat are all good, but the environments and dungeons are on the drab side. It looks and feels like a somewhat low budget game which isn't what I expect from the Tales series, although Tales of Zestiria had the same problem. These later Tales games have unfortunately not been the same quality as the ones prior to them.