The Backlog Check-in Vol. 70: 5/4/19: May Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 70: 5/4/19: May Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Tales of Berseria

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Tales of Berseria

I've played over ten hours of Tales of Berseria so far, and I'm enjoying my time with it for the most part. The story and characters are the main draw as they're both good, and the pacing is good too. There's nothing about it that really stands out, but it's a solid JRPG.

It seems a little low budget, and the graphics are hit and miss as they look good in some places and bland/plain in others. They look good where I'm at now, but still last gen. A lot of PS4 JRPGs are PS3/Vita games that have been ported to the PS4 with only minor visual improvements which is why they look last gen instead of current gen. It's a shame, because they could look like actual anime if they were made from the ground up for the PS4.

It's already May, the year is almost half over. Where has the time been going?
Last edited by Phaseknox on Sun May 05, 2019 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 70: 5/4/19: May Edition

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:40 pm It's already May, the year is almost half over. Where has the time been going?
I know, right? And I'm still playing a game I started in October. :D

Played last week: Red Dead Redemption II, Mario Golf

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Current backlog: 36 (15 PS4, 8 Vita, 7 3DS/2DS, 5 PS2)

Still wrapping up odds and ends in RDR2 before I head to the story conclusion. :(

I picked up DQXI on sale for $30 Walmart, so that's what I'll play next. Pretty good chance I'll finish just those two PS4 games in 2019. My Top Two should be very exciting. :p

I also preordered the Vita physical edition of Shakedown: Hawaii. VERY excited to play that one.

I've had it with Mario Golf, for one reason: The physics just aren't right. Sometimes a medium-size arrow on a green or a 14 mph wind will do one thing, and other times it will do something different. Very irritating. I'm glad they worked out the kinks on Nintendo stuff so it was perfected in Hot Shots. :)
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Still loving Dark Souls 3. Making some nice progress lately. Such an incredible game - like all the others.

Played a couple hours of SOMA. Not sure how I'll feel about this one in the end, yet. It's certainly got an interesting premise, but I guess I need to give it some more time before I can say what I really think about it. There are some Bioshock vibes in some ways - at least in terms of atmosphere. I wasn't expecting that going in. (I didn't know too much about it.)

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: InFAMOUS: Second Son

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 30 games

Put some decent hours into Second Son and I've cleared all side stuff on the North side of the map. The climbing can be a little weird, but other than that I'm having fun with all the new powers.

Cane, you'll love DQXI. And what else are you trying to clean up before the final RDR II story missions?
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: Days Gone, RDR2 (picked it back up), DMCV (ditto), Octopath Traveler (sensing a pattern?), Pokemon Let's Go Evee!

Last week: Finished nothing, played Steamworld Dig 2, Days Gone & a little Detroit

This week: Same.

Days Gone is fantastic. It's just a very fun open world to be in. Outside of a few technical hiccups (the occasional frame rate stutter mainly) I have zero complaints. And heck, I'm not really complaining about the technical stuff, just saying that if I *have* to nit-pick, I've noticed them. They definitely haven't affected my enjoyment tho.

I decided that know what RDR2 was like now (slow paced), I was ready to give it another go. I dabbled with it briefly before DG sucked me in, and I can say that I was enjoying it more. Sometimes when my expectations of a game don't match what it is, I just need to have some space from it to adjust those expectations.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:28 pm I decided that know what RDR2 was like now (slow paced), I was ready to give it another go. I dabbled with it briefly before DG sucked me in, and I can say that I was enjoying it more. Sometimes when my expectations of a game don't match what it is, I just need to have some space from it to adjust those expectations.
That's so true. Expectations can be a drain on enjoyment (of anything really). Of course some games are straight poop :P, but being able to tune your own rhythms to any piece of art will enable you to get the most out of it imho.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

jfissel wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 5:10 pm And what else are you trying to clean up before the final RDR II story missions?
Currently focused on the challenges... Bandit and Hunter right now. Also rounding up animal parts for the trader to turn into ugly clothing or Pearson to hang on a tent. :p But I'll probably move on once I max out all the challenges.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:12 pm
jfissel wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 5:10 pm And what else are you trying to clean up before the final RDR II story missions?
Currently focused on the challenges... Bandit and Hunter right now. Also rounding up animal parts for the trader to turn into ugly clothing or Pearson to hang on a tent. :p But I'll probably move on once I max out all the challenges.
You've got more willpower than I do - I didn't think those were worth the time and effort of completing.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Whoa, no one has more willpower than The Machine.

But you have a point. Some of them have been fun (most of the bandit stuff) and some have been tedious (trying to get animals to go the bait and kill them). Still, I'm rolling on... I love the game and I'm (obviously) in no hurry to finish. :D

My willpower will be tested with the lady who wants perfect corpses of tiny birds that are tough to spot.