The Backlog Check-in Vol. 6: 2/10/18: Kingdom Come: Deliverance Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 6: 2/10/18: Kingdom Come: Deliverance Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

Finished (playing): Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

Playing: Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Purchased: Injustice: Gods Among Us, Injustice 2, South Park: The Fractured but Whole, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

I stopped playing Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth despite starting to enjoy it more, because I wasn't in the mood to continue playing it now since I'm going to be starting Kingdom Come: Deliverance on Tuesday. There's quite a few games coming out next week (Dynasty Warriors 9, Fe, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Monster Energy Supercross, Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology, Secret of Mana), but Kingdom Come: Deliverance is the one that I really want (I want Secret of Mana too but the physical release is a GameStop exclusive and comes out on Thursday, if it came out on Tuesday then I would have got it along with Kingdom Come: Deliverance).

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is one of my most anticipated games of the year, and I didn't know that it was coming out next week. As soon as I found out, I was in the mood to play it so I decided to buy it for full price on day one which is something that I haven't done with a $59.99 game in a long time.

canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 6: 2/10/18: Kingdom Come: Deliverance Edition

Post by canedaddy »

What has you so excited for that one, Phase?

Played this week: Horizon Zero Dawn

Finished this week: nothing

Added to backlog this week: Knack, Rime, Grand Kingdom

Current backlog: 38 (13 PS4, 11 Vita, 7 PS2, 5 3DS, 2 PS3)

Sitting at 86% in Horizon. It's conceivable I could finish it before the next check-in. :shock: Excellent game... going to be tough to beat for my GOTY, though their are several heavies ready to step up and take a shot.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:37 pmWhat has you so excited for that one, Phase?
It's a big open world story driven quest based medieval action RPG grounded in reality, that sounds really appealing to me. I like fantasy of course, but it will be refreshing to play an RPG that forgoes all fantasy elements and sticks to reality for a change. I'm looking forward to playing as a regular person instead of as a superhuman, and playing a game that sticks to the basics instead of being saturated with tedious busywork like collecting, crafting, customization, menu management, etc. While it has some of those elements, they're kept to a minimum. It also offers some sim elements as well such as needing to eat, drink and sleep. Basically, it's going to be like a medieval simulator with a story and quests.
canedaddy wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:37 pmSitting at 86% in Horizon. It's conceivable I could finish it before the next check-in. :shock: Excellent game... going to be tough to beat for my GOTY, though their are several heavies ready to step up and take a shot.
While you said that there are several heavies ready to step up and take a shot at beating it for your GOTY, it does surprise me that you think that it can challenge something like Red Dead Redemption 2 for example.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I look forward to hearing what you think of Kingdom Come when you play it. I've just heard it described as a realistic take on a Witcher-style game. That could be a blast or it could be drudgery.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Virtue's Last Reward, Shadow of the Colossus PS4

Added to Backlog: Shadow of the Colossus PS4

Current Backlog: 30 games

Working my way through SotC and will be finishing the first playthrough this week. I've taken some good photos in the game, so I'll post them here at some point.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:41 pm Kingdom Come: Deliverance is one of my most anticipated games of the year
Yeah, it looks really good to me too. I think it could be one to really sink your teeth into.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Just finished Horizon. That last bit was rough... I thought I might have to reload back to an earlier point, but I managed to get through it.

My final time was 80 hours. I didn't find all the data points and audio logs, nor did I get all the hunting challenges (some of them were a big headache) but I did everything else.

GREAT GAME.

That post-credit scene... hmmmmmmm....
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 am GREAT GAME.
With all the praise of Horizon, I'm starting to believe it. :P

I didn't think it would turn out so well, and a part of me is still the tiniest bit skeptical that I'll love it, but it's hard to argue with the overall reception. I'll pull it off the shelf one day.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 amJust finished Horizon. That last bit was rough... I thought I might have to reload back to an earlier point, but I managed to get through it.
Why didn't you just drop the difficulty at the end, that's what I did.
canedaddy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 amMy final time was 80 hours.
Wow, I put 50 hours into it and thought that was a lot.
canedaddy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 amI didn't find all the data points and audio logs, nor did I get all the hunting challenges (some of them were a big headache) but I did everything else.
All of that stuff (especially the hunting challenges) was basically filler IMO, and I did very little of it. With games like this it's primarily the quests (main/side) that I focus on, because I have too many other games waiting to be played to waste time on insignificant busywork/filler in games that doesn't really add to the core experience in any meaningful way.
canedaddy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 amGREAT GAME.
I agree, but do you still feel that it will be hard to beat for your GOTY with so many stellar games coming out this year?
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:21 pm Why didn't you just drop the difficulty at the end, that's what I did.
Turns out I didn't need to. Just had to use a different strategy and take advantage of the few health items scattered about.
Phaseknox wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:21 pm All of that stuff (especially the hunting challenges) was basically filler IMO, and I did very little of it. With games like this it's primarily the quests (main/side) that I focus on, because I have too many other games waiting to be played to waste time on insignificant busywork/filler in games that doesn't really add to the core experience in any meaningful way.
I wouldn't say the hunting challenges are filler... more like they're for people who buy very few games and like to squeeze ever ounce out of them. Some of the the challenges were fun, but I got so annoyed at a couple of them that I just said nope.

And I enjoyed getting the collectibles, especially the vantages and Banuk artifacts, since they they involved some light puzzle-solving and got me to visit some interesting areas of the map. I don't think I've seen a game with more beautiful environments.
Phaseknox wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:21 pm I agree, but do you still feel that it will be hard to beat for your GOTY with so many stellar games coming out this year?
I mean, sure, I would hope RDR2 would be my GOTY, but I'm not going to assume anything.