The Backlog Check-in Vol. 2: 1/13/18: I Don't Know What to Play Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 2: 1/13/18: I Don't Know What to Play Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Agents of Mayhem

Finished (playing): Agents of Mayhem

Playing: ?

I've been having a hard time trying to decide what I'm in the mood to play, I decided to check out Agents of Mayhem since I knew that it was more of a pick up and play action game. I shared my initial impressions of it in the previous backlog thread, and if you read them then you know that they weren't very positive.

Based on what I played of it, I found it to be a rather repetitive and shallow third person run-and-gun shooter taking place in a good looking but ultimately lifeless and uninteresting open city. The gameplay literally consisted of killing wave after wave of enemies.

It's a big step back compared to Volition's Saints Row series. Like Angry Joe said, while playing it he would rather be playing a Saints Row game instead and I have to agree. It shares some similarities to Saints Row: The Third and Saints Row IV, but isn't nearly as good as either of them. So yeah, I would rather play them again instead of Agents of Mayhem which is similar but not as good.

I found some charm to the game so there's always a chance that I might try it again in the future, but only after I've run out of games that I'm really interested in playing which probably won't ever happen since I currently have like 200 games with more currently out and coming out that I want. I'm glad that I only paid $9.99 for it, because it's unlikely that it's something that I will ever play again.

I don't know what to play now. :P
canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 2: 1/13/18: I Don't Know What to Play Edition

Post by canedaddy »

"Well why don't you play The Witcher 3, hmmm?"

Played this week: Horizon Zero Dawn, Summon Night 5

Finished this week: nothing

Added to backlog this week: nothing

Current backlog: 36 (11 Vita, 11 PS4, 7 PS2, 5 3DS, 2 PS3)

I'm still having a great time with Horizon. Very impressed with the variety of environments. Just reached Meridian.

I'm also enjoying SN5, despite its flaws. Definitely in until the end... just started Chapter 9 out of 25.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: God of War: Ascension

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 31 games

I've started off the new year with the only God of War game I hadn't played, Ascension for the PS3. I'm near the end, so it should be completed this week. Figured I needed to get it out of the way before the new game hits.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Hey j, how are you liking Ascension?
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Overall, I liked it. There were some cool levels like the whole Statue of Apollo and the Oracle snake parts. It's been so long since I played a God of War game, but it seemed to fit into the series just fine. Several of the regular enemies had very specific ways of defeating them, and sometimes it was hard to remember what worked best. I don't think I used the different magics enough either, probably would have made it easier and more fun. I don't think I can put it ahead of 1, 2, or 3...and Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta were really good too.

I'm going to start Inside next, heard it's pretty short. I can get off to a quick start in 2018 and start dwindling this backlog down to reasonable levels.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Yeah, it's the worst in the series, but it's still a good game.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Has anyone seen this AGDQ Dragon Warrior video from last week? Dude completely owns the RNG and runs through it in 27 minutes...incredible.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

That's crazy.

Gotta say, just hearing that music gets me in a serious DQ mood. We don't have a release date for XI, do we?
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Nope, just 2018 is all. Hopefully, we hear something soon!
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I really enjoyed GOW Ascension. I put it 4th in my series rankings behind the main trilogy, but before the PSP entries. It had some really fun combat, maybe the most fun in the series, although the story felt like just more GOW for the sake of more.

As for myself, I'm currently replaying ICO (HD). I hadn't played it since the PS2 days, and I was in the mood. So good...still. Ueda's design by subtraction, along with all his other wonderful qualities really shine all these years later.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!