The Backlog Check-in Vol. 301: 10/7/23: Forza Motorsport/Lords of the Fallen Edition

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 301: 10/7/23: Forza Motorsport/Lords of the Fallen Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

I'm still slowly marching forward in Broken Age. I'm on the second act now, and it has continued to be entertaining - typical of DF. Plenty of little moments of humor along with some philosophical musings tucked into the background. Really enjoying it thus far. And visually and aurally, it's a pleasure throughout.

I got a golden slingshot in Animal Crossing WW, and right after picking (my first) 4-leaf clover. Now I'm thinking that the clover has some function in the game and I'm holding it in my inventory all the time, lol. (I don't look up anything and won't until after I've played a full calendar year probably - assuming I keep playing.) It's nice being able to shoot 3 projectiles at the same time instead of one. Maybe I'll finally get that UFO that flies by sporadically. I also got a peach as a gift and planted it so that I would have peaches in addition to pears (the default starting fruit of my village). I'd like to eventually have all sorts of color from the various types of fruit. Making money with fishing is *much* slower now that fall has started. I'm seeing none of the rare/big fish, so I'm trying to buy more turnips to make money on the in-game turnip (stock) market. I did pretty good this week. I also started planting some red turnips in addition to trading the white ones. It's been an option for a long time, but I never did it. They're supposed to be worth a lot more, so I guess I'll find out when it's fully grown at the end of the week.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
crimson_tide

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 301: 10/7/23: Forza Motorsport/Lords of the Fallen Edition

Post by crimson_tide »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:26 am I finished up TWEWY, and when all is said and done my opinions are a bit mixed on it. It did a lot I enjoyed - fun combat, plenty of variety, some fun and memorable main characters, some nice tunes and an interesting vibe and presentation that really emphasized the hardware to which it belonged. But on the other hand, the combat was pretty repetitive - if flashy and entertaining, was needlessly complex for some of the "expert" maneuvers (although to be fair, it is highly customizable in terms of your input and difficulty), the narrative was (for me) low rent anime / manga that, despite interesting and worthwhile themes and some good characters, just didn't have the quality of writing that I was looking for overall. I won't go more in depth until I can fully digest it and review it for my year-end countdown. In short, I found it to be a good game, and I can see why some people really love it, but for me it had too many issues to engender great enthusiasm upon completion. (don't hate me crim :P - as I said, I still think it's a *good* game)
Glad you gave it a chance and found it good! Wish I had been around more to check in while you played it. I'm going to chat you up in your year end thread about it ;) !

Sorry fam, work has been a BEAST this year. I am doing too much but the work needs to be done. I haven't played much but I had a small haul that included Save Room. What a delightfully chill game. You just fit stuff in an attache case like in RE4. That's it. But it's really relaxing. I'm about halfway done judging from trophies. I'm enjoying it this week :) .
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:45 pm So I started playing Ghostwire Sunday night because I wanted to play something "spooky". Had heard good things about GW, plus it was on Gamepass so I figured why not? It starts a little slow, but once it opens up it gets really good. It's basically what you'd get if F.E.A.R. and Yakuza had a baby. It's more-or-less a shooter, but you shoot energy/magic/whatever. It's VERY Japanese, which I dig - it's a very different take from the Western view of ghosts/spirits/etc. It's not supposed to be super long either, which is a plus - I'd like to at least knock 2 of my survival horror games off my backlog this month. The Dead Space remake is next on the list.
I'm not much into horror, but that sounds pretty good.

jfissel wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:03 pm PS5 slim announced: https://blog.playstation.com/2023/10/10 ... 69561474=1

Hmmm... don't love the fact that you have to pay for a vertical stand.

crimson_tide wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:06 pm I haven't played much but I had a small haul that included Save Room. What a delightfully chill game. You just fit stuff in an attache case like in RE4. That's it. But it's really relaxing. I'm about halfway done judging from trophies. I'm enjoying it this week :) .
Ha, that might be my favorite part of RE4, absurdly enough. Gotta be worth $5... purchased!
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

crimson_tide wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:06 pm Glad you gave it a chance and found it good! Wish I had been around more to check in while you played it. I'm going to chat you up in your year end thread about it ;) !

Sorry fam, work has been a BEAST this year. I am doing too much but the work needs to be done. I haven't played much but I had a small haul that included Save Room. What a delightfully chill game. You just fit stuff in an attache case like in RE4. That's it. But it's really relaxing. I'm about halfway done judging from trophies. I'm enjoying it this week :) .
Yeah, I'm happy to hear your thoughts on TWEWY. I'm sure you've expressed them over the years, but I'm old and details are hard. :P Like I said, I can really see why it's a beloved title, but some things it did didn't work for me personally as well as it obviously did for you (and others). I eagerly await your evisceration of my perspective. :P

I almost picked up Save Room several times on Steam, but never bit. Maybe I'll grab it sometime.

Just quit your job and play games all day crim. I'm sure Mrs crim and all won't mind. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!