2024 Movie Discussion Thread

argyle

2024 Movie Discussion Thread

Post by argyle »

I love a good movie, and I enjoying griping about bad ones. :P Figured we could use a thread to discuss, share recommendations, etc. :)

So I finally got around to watching Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. I enjoy Tarantino's movies - I'm not as big of a fan as some of you guys, but I'd say I like pretty much everything he's done to some degree. But for some reason every time I looked at this one in my watch list I just wasn't feeling it. Finally decided to pull the trigger - started it yesterday (watched the first hour) and finished it up today.

Man...that is a BORING movie. I mean, until the very, very end nothing happens. And it doesn't even have the snappy dialog that Tarantino's known for - it's just a lot of driving around, talking about nothing, watching scenes that go nowhere just to end up with a tiny burst of action and no resolve or growth to the characters at all. And it was nearly 3 hours! Why?? I'm of the mind that movies in general are too long these days, but at least most of them have something going on that somewhat justifies the length. This could have been half the length and it still would have felt like a slog. I just can't wrap my head around this one, I don't know what he was thinking. Am I alone here? I feel like I need to rewatch Inglorious Bastards or Django as a palate cleanser now.

2/5 (only because the acting was good, they just had nothing to work with) - do not recommend.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Re: 2024 Movie Discussion Thread

Post by canedaddy »

I thought it was a great movie. Maybe it's because I'm old enough to remember the furor over the Manson family, which is endlessly horrifying/interesting. I thought Leo and Brad Pitt were great in their roles, and I was glued to the screen even before things started going off.

I saw a movie Saturday that was absolutely amazing: Godzilla Minus One Minus Zero (the limited-run black-and-white version of Minus One).

It reminded me what sci-fi/action/monster movies can be when they're not squished through the Hollywood/Disney/Marvel machine into a bland paste.

Great story, great action, great music, great characters, great cinematography... just a wonderful experience.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Good idea for a thread. I'm assuming we can discuss any movie regardless of year.

I just rewatched AI, and I still love it, but I'm always left wishing that Kubrick could have done it himself. Spielberg is a good director in his own way, but he doesn't carry that darkness, sharp wit and subtlety that Kubrick brings to the table. Still an excellent film, and after all, Kubrick chose Spielberg to direct it, so I guess I can't complain too much.

I also finally got around to watching The Grand Budapest Hotel - only a decade late. I love Wes Anderson's films, and this may ultimately be the best of the bunch for me. The cinematography and scene construction with colors and the Feng Shui of it all is irresistible. And the comedic elements are to die for. Absolutely fabulous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmH0tKU0B4g

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:11 amGood idea for a thread. I'm assuming we can discuss any movie regardless of year.
I agree that it’s a good idea for a thread, but the title is a little confusing because it makes it seem like it’s only for discussing movies coming out in 2024. It should simply be called the Movie Discussion Thread IMO.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:58 pm
isthatallyougot wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:11 amGood idea for a thread. I'm assuming we can discuss any movie regardless of year.
I agree that it’s a good idea for a thread, but the title is a little confusing because it makes it seem like it’s only for discussing movies coming out in 2024. It should simply be called the Movie Discussion Thread IMO.
Did we have one of these before. I can't remember, it's been so many years.

argyle

Post by argyle »

I named it like that just so we can refresh with a new thread next year - kinda like we do the pickups thread. Discuss anything you're watching - what I'm watching most often than not came out years before. I'm perpetually behind on movies. :P

Kubrick is a director I've never been able to get into. I've watched several of his - Clockwork Orange, The Shining, second half of Eyes Wide Shut (it was on tv), and yeah, A.I. - never really cared for any of them. But that said, it was painfully clear that A.I. was the work of 2 minds and it made for a very uneven experience. Also, I still want to give Full Metal Jacket a go one of these days.

Grand Budapest Hotel on the other hand is great, I've been meaning to rewatch that one. I also want to give Meteor City a go soon.

I rewatched Inglorious Bastards over the weekend. Such a fantastic movie - the tension in many of those scenes is so expertly developed, and everything just flows from one scene to the next without a minute to really catch your breath.

EDIT: Oh, I knew there was something I forgot to comment on - Godzilla Minus One is very, very high on my "want to watch" list. Whenever the opportunity arises.
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

isthatallyougot

argyle wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:44 am But that said, it was painfully clear that A.I. was the work of 2 minds and it made for a very uneven experience.
Well, really three, if you count the author of the 1969 short story. And as much as I love Kubrick, I *really* don't think Spielberg could have ever done this dystopian / trans-human tale justice. Poor choice, although, I'm not sure who he should or could have chosen.
argyle wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:44 am Also, I still want to give Full Metal Jacket a go one of these days.
I didn't know it was possible to not like Kubrick...even the Shining?!? That's a pretty "mainstream" adaptation, at least on the surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mYk4ctxrQ0

:P

But yes, watch FMJ.

argyle

Post by argyle »

I found The Shining to be very slow - I thought the recent Doctor Sleep sequel was much better. And hey, even Stephen King didn't like The Shining movie. :P

Finished watching 3:10 To Yuma this morning. I don't watch many westerns, and I almost never watch the old ones (my dad loves those, but they're just not my thing). But every once in a while a new one comes along that grabs my attention. I've had this one on my watchlist for a while now, and I'm glad I finally got around to it as it's VERY good. This is one of those movies where the ending really puts it over the top. I'd honestly like to go a little more in-depth with this one, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it. Highly recommended.