The Backlog Check-in Vol. 324: 3/16/24: Alone in the Dark/Dragon’s Dogma II/Princess Peach: Showtime!/Rise of the Ronin

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 324: 3/16/24: Alone in the Dark/Dragon’s Dogma II/Princess Peach: Showtime!/Rise of the Ro

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:10 amThere's yet ANOTHER kiddo in my household. A two month old so time is limited with 4 kiddos in the house now.
Four kiddos? :o I couldn’t even handle one. My brother and his wife have one which is almost two now, and he completely consumes their life.
canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 324: 3/16/24: Alone in the Dark/Dragon’s Dogma II/Princess Peach: Showtime!/Rise of the Ro

Post by canedaddy »

crimson_tide wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:10 am Hey all, quick check in. There's yet ANOTHER kiddo in my household. A two month old so time is limited with 4 kiddos in the house now. Crim is just out here collecting kiddos like Infinity Gems...costly, loud, occasionally surly Infinity Gems that don't give you ungodly superpowers...why am I doing this again? Oh yeah, because I am a sucker for hard luck cases. So when I become MORE scarce, know that I love you all friends and that I am just a little busy :) !
Wow. Proud of you, sir. Is this a foster child? Adoption?
argyle

Post by argyle »

Crim continues to make the rest of us look bad. ;) Keep it up, sir!

Glad you have enjoyed Guacamelee izzy. I don't recall getting too stuck on a boss - it has been a minute tho. The only thing I really recall was a very difficult platforming section, and I want to say it was for one of the optional doo-dads you could choose to collect. After trying for a while, I chose not to. :P

Speaking of annoying platforming, I played some more Lies of P last night. I was in a section where you had to cross narrow beams in the rafters while creatures hurled stuff at you. There's not much in the way of long-range combat in the game, so the best option was to run straight across the beams in-between throws and try to jump onto the platform where the enemy was. Keep in mind, jumping is NOT a major aspect of this game - up until this point, I honestly didn't know you COULD jump. My wife told me you could, they apparently tell you about it in the very beginning of the game and I hadn't paid it any attention. The button to jump is clicking in the left stick. Yeah. So needless to say, that's a horrible control scheme. Combine that with a not-ideal camera and trying to keep my balance while running across a very narrow beam and you have the makings for a scenario that ALMOST made me call it & move on. Instead I temporarily swapped the jump & activate buttons to move jump to the A button (X for you Playstation fellas) and then after a few more tries finally made it past that section.

The game is still good, but playing it just after I was playing Elden Ring again did NOT do it any favors. From Software it is not.

I'm hearing really good things about Dragon's Dogma 2, so that may take it's place tomorrow.

Oh, and I'm still playing Unicorn Overlord and I'm hopelessly addicted to it. It's hard to believe this is the first strategy game VanillaWare has made, because it is near flawless. So complex yet so accessible, a feat that's very hard to manage. I have close to 30 hours in it now and I'm thinking about it when I'm not playing.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:18 pm I'm hearing really good things about Dragon's Dogma 2
Yeah, it’s been getting great reviews. The new Alone in the Dark and Rise of the Ronin have been getting good reviews too. My list of PS5 games that I want continues to grow, I’m hoping to get one this Christmas.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:10 am
argyle wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:18 pm I'm hearing really good things about Dragon's Dogma 2
Yeah, it’s been getting great reviews. The new Alone in the Dark and Rise of the Ronin have been getting good reviews too. My list of PS5 games that I want continues to grow, I’m hoping to get one this Christmas.
I've been hearing more mid reviews for Rise of the Ronin, and as for Alone In The Dark...it looks...bad. I played the original game WAAAAY back in the day, and there's never been another good AITD game since then, sadly.

I wouldn't have picked up Dragon's Dogma 2 right away, except that: 1) my wife wanted to play it and 2) I had enough bing credit saved up to cover a little over half the price. Unicorn Overlord is gonna be my main game for a bit, and my hype is also starting to build for Eiyuden Chronicles.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:10 am My list of PS5 games that I want continues to grow, I’m hoping to get one this Christmas.

Here's hoping Santa hooks you up.

I'm holding off on Unicorn Overlord because I'd like to have it in physical form, and that requires a PS5 (or Xbox or Switch, no thanks). Not sure if I'll ever get one, but as in your case, if it happens, the game lineup for me is getting better and better.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Carlos Calaca fell to my macho luchador brutality last night. He could not withstand the fury! :P

What a game! I've still got plenty of collectibles / secrets to hunt down, side quests to complete, and I really enjoyed what I've played of the challenge rooms so far. The one where you either get gold or nothing (usually they're bronze, silver and gold) was a blast - I think it was room 11. It forced you to utilize a wide array of your moves to "air-platform" your way through the obstacles, finally needing you to transform into your chicken form to fit through the narrow exit. So fun. And the game overall was incredible. You know, I try not to go into games with *too* much in the way of expectations. You can't help but have a little sense of things based on your personal preferences and the overall reception of a game, but I try to temper it and meet it where it's at for me. Having said that, I went in expecting to enjoy it, and it really exceeded those general expectations. It's a great feeling when a game lands like that - much better than that awful feeling of disappointment and getting let down. So I'll keep digging through the extra content and maybe start a hard mode run while looking for the next game to play.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:54 amI've been hearing more mid reviews for Rise of the Ronin, and as for Alone In The Dark...it looks...bad. I played the original game WAAAAY back in the day, and there's never been another good AITD game since then, sadly.
I’ve seen good reviews for Alone in the Dark and Rise of the Ronin, perhaps not great reviews but certainly good enough for me to want to get them for somewhat cheap when I get a PS5. I kind of liked the 2008 Alone in the Dark, and the new one looks better. It’s a AA survival horror game which I like.
canedaddy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:28 amI'm holding off on Unicorn Overlord because I'd like to have it in physical form, and that requires a PS5 (or Xbox or Switch, no thanks). Not sure if I'll ever get one, but as in your case, if it happens, the game lineup for me is getting better and better.
I don’t really mind getting Unicorn Overlord digitally since it’s an SRPG, I tend to like to collect physical copies of AA and AAA character action adventure games and RPGs. I wasn’t sure if I wanted a PS5 since I have tons of PS4 games, but a PS5 is a PS4 as well and will play all of my PS4 games so I figure that I might as well get it since there’s a lot of games out and coming out for it that I want.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

crimson_tide wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:10 am Played: Infinite Wealth. **** the end of chapter 6 and beginning of chapter 7. I am NOT ok with where I left things (after the big forest thing, j). So hopefully I can get through this chapter over the weekend.
Yeah, don't stop there. :lol: