The Backlog Check-in Vol. 325: 3/23/24: Ender Magnolia: Bloom in the Mist/Grandia HD Collection/South Park: Snow Day!

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 325: 3/23/24: Ender Magnolia: Bloom in the Mist/Grandia HD Collection/South Park: Snow Day

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:11 pmNo sense in stressing out over things that can't be changed. And hey, those games will be available for you on PS5 if/when your tastes change directions again.
Yeah, the reason why I’ve been feeling the way that I have been is because a lot of PS5 games that I want have been coming out lately and I’ve been wanting to play them more than the games that I currently have, so I was thinking that if I didn’t buy so many PS4 digital and indie games then I could buy a PS5 and all of the games that I currently want for it without having such a big backlog of games that I’m not as interested in playing. But then today I was thinking that I actually do want to play a lot of the PS4 digital and indie games that I have, and that I’m glad that I have them.

The problem is that more recently what I’m in the mood to play often changes from one day to the next which is why I sometimes have a hard time sticking with one game to completion these days. One day I’m really in the mood for a certain game, and then the next I’m in the mood for something different. So I quit playing what I was playing and play something else that I’m more in the mood for at the time, and the cycle continues to where I end up not playing anything to completion because I keep quitting and playing something else.
canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 325: 3/23/24: Ender Magnolia: Bloom in the Mist/Grandia HD Collection/South Park: Snow Day

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:26 pm The problem is that more recently what I’m in the mood to play often changes from one day to the next which is why I sometimes have a hard time sticking with one game to completion these days. One day I’m really in the mood for a certain game, and then the next I’m in the mood for something different. So I quit playing what I was playing and play something else that I’m more in the mood for at the time, and the cycle continues to where I end up not playing anything to completion because I keep quitting and playing something else.
No offense, but that doesn't sound like a recent issue. :P You're kind of known for falling off games very quickly.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:26 pm
canedaddy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:11 pmNo sense in stressing out over things that can't be changed. And hey, those games will be available for you on PS5 if/when your tastes change directions again.
Yeah, the reason why I’ve been feeling the way that I have been is because a lot of PS5 games that I want have been coming out lately and I’ve been wanting to play them more than the games that I currently have, so I was thinking that if I didn’t buy so many PS4 digital and indie games then I could buy a PS5 and all of the games that I currently want for it without having such a big backlog of games that I’m not as interested in playing. But then today I was thinking that I actually do want to play a lot of the PS4 digital and indie games that I have, and that I’m glad that I have them.

The problem is that more recently what I’m in the mood to play often changes from one day to the next which is why I sometimes have a hard time sticking with one game to completion these days. One day I’m really in the mood for a certain game, and then the next I’m in the mood for something different. So I quit playing what I was playing and play something else that I’m more in the mood for at the time, and the cycle continues to where I end up not playing anything to completion because I keep quitting and playing something else.
That sounds miserable to me phase. Maybe it is to you too.

I look forward to playing every game I start, and I only put it down if it's sub-par, which isn't that common. (By sub-par, I mean a game that I would rate as a 1 or 2/5. And I even finish a good chunk of 2 star games in the hopes that I'll find some element that redeems the whole package.) But as long as a game is "good" or what I would rate at least a 3/5, I'll happily soldier on to the credits at least.

I honestly wouldn't game at all if I just felt like hopping from this to that with no real investment. I just wouldn't enjoy myself in that case and would find something that keeps me engaged and is worth my precious time.

In terms of my own gaming, I'm right at the final boss fight of my hard mode run for Guacamelee, and it has been thrilling - even better than the first time. The combat is really made for hard difficulty imho. I may still go back and clean up collectibles, secrets, quests and work on getting better scores on the challenge rooms afterwards too, but either way, this is a fantastic game, and I'm happy I've got the second also waiting for me in my backlog.

I really need to rewatch that movie. A real comedy classic for me.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:17 pmNo offense, but that doesn't sound like a recent issue. :P You're kind of known for falling off games very quickly.
Yeah I know, but it’s gotten worse lately.
isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:28 pmThat sounds miserable to me phase. Maybe it is to you too.

I look forward to playing every game I start, and I only put it down if it's sub-par, which isn't that common. (By sub-par, I mean a game that I would rate as a 1 or 2/5. And I even finish a good chunk of 2 star games in the hopes that I'll find some element that redeems the whole package.) But as long as a game is "good" or what I would rate at least a 3/5, I'll happily soldier on to the credits at least.

I honestly wouldn't game at all if I just felt like hopping from this to that with no real investment. I just wouldn't enjoy myself in that case and would find something that keeps me engaged and is worth my precious time.
Of course I don’t like it. I would prefer to finish every game that I start, but sometimes I lose interest in what I’m playing before I do. Some games I like and want to finish, but they’re not always what I’m really in the mood for at the time so I stop playing them with the plan of playing them again at some point when I’m more in the mood for them.

I think that part of it is that I have so many games that I want to check out, so I’ll start something and then want to check something else out that I have. The longer that I play one game is the longer that it takes me to check out another game, so I will start a game to check it out to see what I think of it and then after I do I want to check something else out that I have. Of course if something really clicks with me then I’ll most likely stick with it to completion, but that’s been becoming rarer lately for some reason.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I took a break from playing Outriders and started playing a cute top down view pixel art action RPG golf hybrid game called RPGolf Legends. Despite what I said earlier about not really liking pixel art games these days, I still kind of do especially for RPGs.

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:13 pm
jfissel wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:40 pm Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Windbound, unsure

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 42 games

I did not play anything last week, need to get back to Windbound and then figure out what else I want to play.
Oh wow, you're still playing that? I guess Yakuza isn't such a brief interlude, ha!
Haha, trying to get back to it! I was kinda struggling when I went full-Yakuza, so we'll see.
Phaseknox wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:22 pm I took a break from playing Outriders and started playing a cute top down view pixel art action RPG golf hybrid game called RPGolf Legends. Despite what I said earlier about not really liking pixel art games these days, I still kind of do especially for RPGs.

I watched the trailer, but how does the golfing fit in to the game? As in, why do you play a hole/course?
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am
Phaseknox wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:22 pmI took a break from playing Outriders and started playing a cute top down view pixel art action RPG golf hybrid game called RPGolf Legends. Despite what I said earlier about not really liking pixel art games these days, I still kind of do especially for RPGs.

I watched the trailer, but how does the golfing fit in to the game? As in, why do you play a hole/course?
It’s a comical JRPG with a silly story where you play as a girl who loves to play golf, but an evil entity put magic seals over all of the golf courses across the land to prevent people from playing golf. So at the beginning of the game the girl goes fishing which is her second favorite leisure activity, and reels in a golf club with a talking spirit in it that’s able to dispel the magic seals on the golf courses. But dispelling the seals requires magical energy that depletes after a seal is broken, so the girl must use the golf club to defeat enemies that give the golf club more magical energy to dispel more seals. The goal of the game is to play all of the golf courses across the land.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm
jfissel wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am
Phaseknox wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:22 pmI took a break from playing Outriders and started playing a cute top down view pixel art action RPG golf hybrid game called RPGolf Legends. Despite what I said earlier about not really liking pixel art games these days, I still kind of do especially for RPGs.

It’s a comical JRPG with a silly story where you play as a girl who loves to play golf, but an evil entity put magic seals over all of the golf courses across the land to prevent people from playing golf. So at the beginning of the game the girl goes fishing which is her second favorite leisure activity, and reels in a golf club with a talking spirit in it that’s able to dispel the magic seals on the golf courses. But dispelling the seals requires magical energy that depletes after a seal is broken, so the girl must use the golf club to defeat enemies that give the golf club more magical energy to dispel more seals. The goal of the game is to play all of the golf courses across the land.
Gotcha, thanks for the more in-depth explanation.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Played: random Steam Deck stuff in short spurts on commute including the Witcher 3 which is a stuttering mess on the Steam Deck. Bummer.

Beat: Nothing

This week: I swear if I don't get back to Infinite Wealth soon, somebody's gonna get...ummm...I don't know but it won't be good!

Busy week was busy and now won't end because wife's family is here for Easter...see y'all next week!