The Backlog Check-in Vol. 5: 2/3/18: Shadow of the Colossus Edition

argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 5: 2/3/18: Shadow of the Colossus Edition

Post by argyle »

I was really hoping, especially after loving The Last Guardian so much, that SotC would be one of those games that I would appreciate more the second time playing it. No. No, it's not.

I get why everyone likes the "story", such that it is, but I'm of the firm belief that a game doesn't have to be an exercise in minimalism full of poor camera & character controls to make me feel something. In fact, I could give numerous examples to the contrary.

And Argo can still go die in a fire. I swear, that horse is dumber than Roach.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:10 pmI was really hoping, especially after loving The Last Guardian so much, that SotC would be one of those games that I would appreciate more the second time playing it. No. No, it's not.
Like I said when it originally came out, it's overrated:

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/shado ... 101965149/

:P

Prettier visuals don't make me any more interested in the game, because the visuals weren't something that I had an issue with to begin with. You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd. I'm not saying that Shadow of the Colossus is a turd, but you get my point.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:54 am Sorry I've been out of pocket lately, but work has really, really sucked. We had the head of the dept & our network admin quit within a month of each other (head of dept. retired, net admin got a much better job offer). That's thrown a ton of work on the rest of us in the dept, along with a lot of structure upheaval. That would be bad enough, but my supervisor - who out of everyone in the dept. I work closest with because of location, he and I are on one campus while the rest of the team is on the other - is the laziest human being I've ever met. He disappears for long periods of time, and when he is there he usually stays holed up in his office. Either way he isn't doing anything to help me, so I'm doing 80% (and I'm being conservative) of the work on my campus plus being a resource for the other guys since out of all the techs I've been there much longer than anyone else. It's a very stressful situation, and probably why I'm up now at 2:50 a.m. :(
That sounds like a nightmare. Hope things get better there.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:01 pm
argyle wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:10 pmI was really hoping, especially after loving The Last Guardian so much, that SotC would be one of those games that I would appreciate more the second time playing it. No. No, it's not.
Like I said when it originally came out, it's overrated:

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/shado ... 101965149/

:P

Prettier visuals don't make me any more interested in the game, because the visuals weren't something that I had an issue with to begin with. You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd. I'm not saying that Shadow of the Colossus is a turd, but you get my point.
Well again it wasn't that I thought the visuals would make me like it more but just general passage of time, going at it fresh, being more aware of what the game was going in. There have been games that these things made a world of difference for me - this just wasn't one of those games.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:33 pmit wasn't that I thought the visuals would make me like it more but just general passage of time, going at it fresh, being more aware of what the game was going in. There have been games that these things made a world of difference for me - this just wasn't one of those games.
Yeah, I understand. There have been games that I didn't like very much when I first played them, but ended up liking a lot when I played them again later. But those were usually games that I wanted to give another chance because there were aspects about them that I liked, but just didn't feel that they were what I wanted to play at the time. However, that isn't the case with Shadow of the Colossus. I gave it a good chance when I originally played it, and came to the conclusion that it just wasn't for me.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

SOTC is an all-time classic from my perspective. I haven't gotten the remaster yet, but I'm not sure I'll like it as much as the original - in fact, I'm pretty sure I won't - despite how good it looks from what I've seen.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:31 amSOTC is an all-time classic from my perspective.
You also think that Uncharted 3 is better than 2, so that's not surprising. :P
isthatallyougot wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:31 amI haven't gotten the remaster yet, but I'm not sure I'll like it as much as the original - in fact, I'm pretty sure I won't - despite how good it looks from what I've seen.
Why don't you think that you will like it as much? I'm just curious.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:18 pm
isthatallyougot wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:31 amSOTC is an all-time classic from my perspective.
You also think that Uncharted 3 is better than 2, so that's not surprising. :P
isthatallyougot wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:31 amI haven't gotten the remaster yet, but I'm not sure I'll like it as much as the original - in fact, I'm pretty sure I won't - despite how good it looks from what I've seen.
Why don't you think that you will like it as much? I'm just curious.
Uncharted 3 is significantly better. ;)

I don't think I'll like it as much because it's missing the dreamlike aura/the soft warmth of the original. Hardware necessitated or not, it suited the game.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!