The Backlog Check-in Vol. 283: 6/3/23: Diablo IV Edition

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 283: 6/3/23: Diablo IV Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:37 amAdded to backlog: nothing
I’m surprised by this considering how many good game deals that the PS Store has right now. There’s a lot of great games for $5 and less which I know is your price range :P, yet you don’t seem interested. Oh well, that’s your decision of course.
argyle

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:37 am Still having fun with Octopath Dos. So much of it is top-tier... the combat and all of the production values are superb... but it's not really coming together yet, and I'm not sure it will. Is this just eight people helping each other out in their various stories, or is there an overall enemy/force you're working against? There's not any hint that it's the latter, and I'm pretty far in. We will see.
I've heard nothing but good things about Octo 2, and it's in my backlog - I'm assuming you don't have to have played the first one?
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:01 am I've heard nothing but good things about Octo 2, and it's in my backlog - I'm assuming you don't have to have played the first one?
Correct. New story, characters, etc.
argyle

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:03 am
argyle wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:01 am I've heard nothing but good things about Octo 2, and it's in my backlog - I'm assuming you don't have to have played the first one?
Correct. New story, characters, etc.
I'll bump it up the list a bit then. Granted, that list is packed with bangers right now, but the next time I'm in the mood for a turn-based RPG I'll pop it in. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:37 am
jfissel wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:56 pm Added to Backlog: Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
Nice! Is that your first taste of that series? VC is among my favorites.
Correct! Figured I could spend $6 to see what it's all about.
Phaseknox wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:19 pm
jfissel wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:56 pmstarted Tchia.
How is it?
I like the art style and the story so far. There are some weird quirks that I'm not crazy about (no real-time map on screen and it doesn't even mark your current location on the map menu - but there are ways around this...and the sailing - you have to steer separately from raising/lowering the sail aka speed). You can take over objects or animals, so I can become a deer and sprint through the forest or be a pigeon and fly. Lots of collectibles for those who enjoy that stuff (me).
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I played more King’s Bounty II as Elisa, and started to tire of her one-dimensional goody two-shoes personality. Her somewhat ditsy and naive do-gooder goofy politeness was cute and funny for a while, but eventually wore thin. I played a little as Aivar to see what he was like, and he’s kind of a dopey musclehead. I went back to playing as Katharine, and she’s the best protagonist in the game IMO. Her biting wit and blunt/sarcastic/snarky personality make her entertaining to play as.

I passed the difficult combat encounters that I was having trouble with. I have a better understanding of the battle mechanics now, so I’ve been doing better in combat. It’s still not easy, but I’m finding it to be more normal now than hard. I really like the strategic tactical turn-based combat, but I still feel that actual in-game realtime character combat would be more fitting for the game. Also, I still find some battles kind of cheap when all of the enemies get to attack first since they can add negative effects to my squad and kill some of them before I get a turn, but overall I’m really enjoying the game and consider it a hidden gem.