The Backlog Check-in Vol. 286: 6/24/23: Enclave HD Edition

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 286: 6/24/23: Enclave HD Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

I started playing XEL, and I’m liking it. It’s a cartoonish and colorful isometric view sci-fi action adventure game with light puzzle solving. It’s an indie game so it doesn’t have the biggest production values, but the characters are voiced which is nice. It looks like a PS2/GameCube/Xbox generation game so it’s surprising that not only does it run at 30fps instead of 60, but it also stutters occasionally. I’m not sure why it runs somewhat choppy at times, but it doesn’t really bother me all that much because the game itself is pretty fun and has charm.

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Oh my God, guys I figured it out! We should call our PS2 game club thing:

Game Club Presents: PS2se your own summer adventure!

You're welcome .

*Drops mic* 🎤

*Pick mic back up*

Oh wait, I will be playing either Rogue Galaxy for as long as I can deal with the dumb stamina nonsense or possibly finally finishing FFX or introducing the kiddo to RPG's with FFX-2 which she will lose her mind over. The Mark of Kri games are also contenders because that boy thick and I am jealous. Might inspire a new workout challenge even :P . If any of that sounds interesting and you want to join, let's do it fam!

*Drops mic* 🎤
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I stopped playing XEL mainly because I wasn’t finding the graphics very appealing. They’re dated looking, and have kind of a plastic look to them where everything looks artificial like toys and playsets. For an action adventure game like this with a lot of exploration, the world doesn’t really beg to be explored when it doesn’t look very good. It also doesn’t help that the game is unpolished, and runs like a janky stuttering mess a lot of the time. I like the core game itself since it’s a good mix of combat, puzzle solving and exploration, but unfortunately its graphics and performance issues hinder the overall experience. However, I was still enjoying it enough to possibly play it again in the future.

I played and finished A Juggler’s Tale which is a 2.5D side scrolling platform puzzle game. The graphics are gorgeous, and the game oozes with charm. It’s similar to games like Limbo, Inside and Little Nightmares, but I liked it more than those. It’s safe to say that if you like any of those games then you’ll like this as well, it’s something that I feel fairly confident recommending to everyone here. My only real complaint with it is that it’s really short, I would have liked for it to have been longer. But it’s enjoyable while it lasts with a satisfying ending.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:18 pm I played and finished A Juggler’s Tale which is a 2.5D side scrolling platform puzzle game. The graphics are gorgeous, and the game oozes with charm. It’s similar to games like Limbo, Inside and Little Nightmares, but I liked it more than those. It’s safe to say that if you like any of those games then you’ll like this as well, it’s something that I feel fairly confident recommending to everyone here. My only real complaint with it is that it’s really short, I would have liked for it to have been longer. But it’s enjoyable while it lasts with a satisfying ending.
Thanks for the word. That looks really cool.

argyle

Post by argyle »

I haven't heard of that one before, but it does look very cool - I'll be adding it to my wishlist to keep an eye on it for a sale. Thanks Phase!
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis