SlavicPunk: Oldtimer
Sludge Life 2
Soulvars
Swelter
Your Computer Might Be At Risk
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 286: 6/24/23: Enclave HD Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

I finally got around to picking up a controller again. I fire up The Pinball Arcade which is always simple and immediate fun for me. I truly never tire of pinball, real or virtual.

I also realized that the year is half over and if I didn't pay attention I could be at risk of failing to maintain a personal tradition that I hope to continue. Ever since the PS2 launched, I've played at least one new (to me) PS2 game every year. I usually play at least a handful, but there's been a couple years where I only squeezed in one. Anyway, the tradition lives one because I fired up Crash Twinsanity. It's a pretty fun 3D mascot platformer. I'm not enjoying it as much as the PS1, Naughty Dog entries, but it's not bad. It's pretty good looking for the era and it's a nice and sometimes-funny twist working together with Neo Cortex.

Anyway, I'm sure you guys are all doing your gaming thang. Hope I haven't missed too much in my hiatus.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:55 amI'm sure you guys are all doing your gaming thang. Hope I haven't missed too much in my hiatus.
I’ve been wondering where you’ve been. I’m glad that you got in the mood to play games again, did you just need a break? Have you still been buying games, because I haven’t seen you post anything in the haul thread in a while.

I myself have been playing King’s Bounty II, it’s a third person medieval fantasy RPG with strategic tactical turn-based combat. I think that you might like it, so I would recommend getting it if you haven’t already.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: Nothing, but I REALLY want FF16

Last week: Finished The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, played Diablo 4 and Diablo 3

This week: More Diablo, and ??

Tears of the Kingdom is perfection from beginning to end. Best Zelda ever, and probably joins Symphony of the NIght & Xenoblade Chronicles in a 3-way tie for my GOAT. I logged over 185 hours and still haven't even explored all of the map. Just a massive, fantastic, constantly engaging game.

Tam & I decided to play some Diablo 3 this weekend after getting frustrated with a few little things that they need to patch up in D4. We also decided we wanted to play some of the last D3 season, so we'll be doing that some more this week.
isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:55 am I also realized that the year is half over and if I didn't pay attention I could be at risk of failing to maintain a personal tradition that I hope to continue. Ever since the PS2 launched, I've played at least one new (to me) PS2 game every year. I usually play at least a handful, but there's been a couple years where I only squeezed in one. Anyway, the tradition lives one because I fired up Crash Twinsanity. It's a pretty fun 3D mascot platformer. I'm not enjoying it as much as the PS1, Naughty Dog entries, but it's not bad. It's pretty good looking for the era and it's a nice and sometimes-funny twist working together with Neo Cortex.
That's a really fun idea! How many US released PS2 games were there? *quick check* 3870?? Yeah, I imagine there's at least 2 or 3 in there I haven't played. :P Maybe our next game club game should be something PS2?
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:18 pm
isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:55 amI'm sure you guys are all doing your gaming thang. Hope I haven't missed too much in my hiatus.
I’ve been wondering where you’ve been. I’m glad that you got in the mood to play games again, did you just need a break? Have you still been buying games, because I haven’t seen you post anything in the haul thread in a while.

I myself have been playing King’s Bounty II, it’s a third person medieval fantasy RPG with strategic tactical turn-based combat. I think that you might like it, so I would recommend getting it if you haven’t already.
Yeah, I've been picking things up here and there (digital only). I guess I needed a break. I don't overthink things. I just wasn't playing for whatever reason. Now I am again, ha.

I've got all the old KB games in my Steam backlog but have never played an entry. I'd probably do that before jumping into the newest iteration though. I always thought the series looked fun.
argyle wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:48 am That's a really fun idea! How many US released PS2 games were there? *quick check* 3870?? Yeah, I imagine there's at least 2 or 3 in there I haven't played. :P Maybe our next game club game should be something PS2?
Sure, I'd be up for that. The PS2 is still my favorite dedicated box for gaming and imagine that will always be the case since I never play that way anymore. (on any newer devices, I mean.) If you (or anyone else) has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I'll throw in my nominations.

- If we're all in the mood for a lengthier, heavier experience / rpg : Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht (I never played an entry despite having the whole series in my backlog.

- If we want a quicker, less intense one, I'll vote for Rise of the Kasai. I played The Mark of Kri, but never the sequel.

- For an oddball, quirky choice, I'll vote for Chulip. Always been interested in the "kissing rpg". :P HLTB says it's in the 15 hour range, so not too bad.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:48 amTears of the Kingdom is perfection from beginning to end. Best Zelda ever, and probably joins Symphony of the NIght & Xenoblade Chronicles in a 3-way tie for my GOAT. I logged over 185 hours and still haven't even explored all of the map. Just a massive, fantastic, constantly engaging game.
I’m glad that you enjoyed it, my brother did too. I’ll probably never play it since I don’t want to play it on my Switch Lite (which has been sitting in a drawer since my sister gave it to me), and I don’t plan on getting the next Switch.
argyle wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:48 amTam & I decided to play some Diablo 3 this weekend after getting frustrated with a few little things that they need to patch up in D4.
How does Diablo 4 compare to 3 IYO?
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:50 amI've got all the old KB games in my Steam backlog but have never played an entry. I'd probably do that before jumping into the newest iteration though. I always thought the series looked fun.
I know that the older King’s Bounty games are isometric view, and seem quite a bit different from King’s Bounty II. Play them in the order that you want of course, but King’s Bounty II is basically its own game not connected to the previous games. It was made by a different developer, and is apparently a King’s Bounty game in name only.
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:50 amIf you (or anyone else) has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I'll throw in my nominations.

- If we're all in the mood for a lengthier, heavier experience / rpg : Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht (I never played an entry despite having the whole series in my backlog.

- If we want a quicker, less intense one, I'll vote for Rise of the Kasai. I played The Mark of Kri, but never the sequel.

- For an oddball, quirky choice, I'll vote for Chulip. Always been interested in the "kissing rpg". :P HLTB says it's in the 15 hour range, so not too bad.
I think that for most of us here the PS2 games would have to be available digitally for PS4/PS5 for us to be able to play them. I have both The Mark of Kri and Rise of the Kasai digitally for PS4.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I'm down for a PS2 game club entry. Chulip is probably hard to find at this point if you don't already have it. Xenosaga sounds like it might take a lot of time for a club game. I've never played Rise of the Kasai (or Mark of the Kri, for that matter) so that would be cool. Really, I'm open to almost anything. A few other names to throw out there: The Getaway, Killer 7, Shadow Hearts, Blood Will Tell, DarkWatch, The Warriors, Primal...

Played recently: Octopath Traveler II

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 31

I've made a lot of progress in Octopath... finished two of the characters' stories and close on others. It took a long time for me to "get it," but now that I do I can't wait to play it. Good stuff.
argyle

Post by argyle »

For one thing, we like Diablo 3's more colorful graphics mainly because in D4 everything is so grey & muted that it all blends together making it harder to see what's going on. Other than that, there's some little things that seem like they should have been in place from the start (like a completed quest log) that aren't, and there's some things that feel like they've taken a step back (like treasure goblins) that they'll probably improve eventually.

I think I'd be more for a shorter PS2 game - plus I've played most of Xenosaga 1, and it is a VERY slow game with some massive cutscenes. Also Phase probably has a point in that it would be easier to stick to games available digitally - even tho that does limit the options a bit. So in addition to Rise of the Kasai and Chulip (which would get my vote out of those two) I'd add these:

The Red Star
Fatal Frame II - I've played some of the first one but I don't think I ever tried the second one. From what I understand they're all stand-alone stories so playing them in order isn't required.
Contra: Shattered Soldier / Neo Contra - lumping these 2 together, I don't think I've ever played either and I'd be down for either and/or both.

Man, I wish Blood Will Tell was available digitally (or didn't cost an arm & a leg). Granted...it CAN be obtained. 8-) But dunno how everyone else feels about that.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, ??

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 43 games

canedaddy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:55 pm I've made a lot of progress in Octopath... finished two of the characters' stories and close on others. It took a long time for me to "get it," but now that I do I can't wait to play it. Good stuff.
Might have to get to this one sooner rather than later.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:55 pmI'm down for a PS2 game club entry. Chulip is probably hard to find at this point if you don't already have it. Xenosaga sounds like it might take a lot of time for a club game. I've never played Rise of the Kasai (or Mark of the Kri, for that matter) so that would be cool. Really, I'm open to almost anything. A few other names to throw out there: The Getaway, Killer 7, Shadow Hearts, Blood Will Tell, DarkWatch, The Warriors, Primal...
I played and finished The Mark of Kri back in the day, and really enjoyed it. I played a little of Rise of the Kasai, but didn’t like it as much. I have Primal and The Warriors digitally for PS4, I would be up for playing The Warriors because I haven’t played it since it originally came out and I’ve been wanting to play it again. The same with Manhunt which I also have digitally for PS4.
argyle wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:01 pmFor one thing, we like Diablo 3's more colorful graphics mainly because in D4 everything is so grey & muted that it all blends together making it harder to see what's going on. Other than that, there's some little things that seem like they should have been in place from the start (like a completed quest log) that aren't, and there's some things that feel like they've taken a step back (like treasure goblins) that they'll probably improve eventually.
That sucks about the graphics, because I really like the colorful graphics of Diablo III. Also, I heard that Diablo IV is open world which seems a little odd for a Diablo game. Hopefully some of the issues that you have with it will be addressed by the time that I play it which won’t be until it’s on sale for relatively cheap.
argyle wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:01 pmI think I'd be more for a shorter PS2 game - plus I've played most of Xenosaga 1, and it is a VERY slow game with some massive cutscenes. Also Phase probably has a point in that it would be easier to stick to games available digitally - even tho that does limit the options a bit. So in addition to Rise of the Kasai and Chulip (which would get my vote out of those two) I'd add these:

The Red Star
Fatal Frame II - I've played some of the first one but I don't think I ever tried the second one. From what I understand they're all stand-alone stories so playing them in order isn't required.
Contra: Shattered Soldier / Neo Contra - lumping these 2 together, I don't think I've ever played either and I'd be down for either and/or both.

Man, I wish Blood Will Tell was available digitally (or didn't cost an arm & a leg). Granted...it CAN be obtained. 8-) But dunno how everyone else feels about that.
Fatal Frame II is really good, it’s one of my favorite PS2 horror games. Too bad it’s not available digitally for PS4, the same with Blood Will Tell which I really enjoyed as well.